Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FPrime resolution problem!

FPrime resolution problem!

Can anyone please tell me how to get my FPrime resolution to match what I dial in on my camera and render global settings?

For example,
    1)I set my camera frame width and frame height at 4000pixels x 2000pixels. 2)I render using Fprime. I even pull the FPrime window so its as big as it will display on my screen.
    3)I save as a PSD file.
    4)I open the image in Photoshop and its 1024 x 719 pixels. It should be 4000 x 2000 pixels.

What is happening here, and how do I equal the sizes?
    System X Mac SC platform/Mac Pro cluster/custom variable Dualyne System

pimped sock meister clumsycloudy's Avatar
    use fprime render, not the previewer, its a different command. I have both commands under hotkeys, if i am satisfied with the preview i render it out with fprime render. Its faster, has more functionallity (eg DOF, motionblur) and has no display. You can set the amount of renderpasses in its window. Look in your hotkeylist and do a search on 'fprime' you should see it.
    Last edited by clumsycloudy; 09-29-2007 at 01:56 PM.
    "Talk to the puppet cause the hand aint listening''

Thanks Clumsycloudy. That worked. But I can't see the rendering render, which know is what the previewer is for. Do I therefore set everything up using the previewer, and once I'm happy with lighting and framing do I close the previewer and do my final render using just the RENDER tab?

pimped sock meister clumsycloudy's Avatar
    you got it, thats the deal.. Setup things with previewer, then render out with render. Its really cool, it has the ability to continue where you stopped, and it saves after every pass. Ps the larger you render, the less passes you need..

ric
    "Talk to the puppet cause the hand aint listening''

Thanks Ric, much appreciated!

Ok, so I'm rendering in FPrime, but it saves at Quality 1.000, then 2.000, etc. When I check my saved image everytime after it saves it looks the same, and somewhat noisy. I had my render settings to Endlessly Refine. Now I changed the settings to Stop At Level 20, but what is Level 20 on the Quality level?

Somewhat confused.

Good Evening Mr. Hargreaves.

I'm not an Fprime guru, but I can give you a vague idea - 20 passes sounds like medium-high quality, depending on the scene, but noise is somewhat problematic for FPrime, I once switched back to LW's internal renderer for just that reason. It was a very noisy rough bump that I was trying to render smoothly, and Fprime couldn't clean it up after 30 passes. Aggravating this is, as I hear it, the number of passes in the previewer does not equal the number of passes in the renderer.

At the same time I've seen some perfectly smooth renders done in Fprime, I just don't know if they dealt with the noise another way, or had no noise in the first place. I'll try to find a link.

What kind of noise are you dealing with, shading noise/radiosity, a texture map, or a procedural?
    Confirmed -
    No Weapons of Mass Destruction
    or links to Al Queda or 9/11. (Sep. 2003)

To the somewhat confused guy : If its an outdoor rendering i normally stop it around level 9-12, maximum is level 15, that is for high resolution print renderings like yours. Indoor can be a bit more tricky, but maximum is still 15 for me, all at standard lighting quality (me thinks it is 0.5 ). Indoor renderings sometimes need a de-noiser like NeatImage.
    ingo erik moltzen - virtual image maker --- www.im-graphics.com

In my experience it TOTally depends on the resolution of the image and lighting of the render, as to decide the required level.

I would do the following:
    - Make a medium sized fprime window.
    - Zoom in on a minute part of your image (small as possible in final image, but that needs to still be sharp).
    - Let it run and keep an eye on the levels, and note when it gets to an acceptable quality
    - Use this level as your aimed level (or round it up to the nearest 0 or 5)

j.
    Model: MacBook Pro 10.6.4 - 2.66 GHz - 4GB - NVD GF GT 330M
    Render: Win7 64 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz - 8GB

Keep in mind that the quality level displayed in the FPrime previewer is approximately ten times higher than the quality level in FPrime render. Ie, when the previewer's quality ticker reaches 100, that is approximately the same as FPrime render to quality 10.
    Are my spline guides showing?

Level 10 is what we normally render an exterior render to. Interiors as mentioned are a little more tricky. You may never elimnate all the noise on an interior render.
    Also levels in the fprime previewer vs the Fprime renderer do not relate to each other at all.

Rob Klein
    Liquid Light 3D Graphics
    From the land of 9 months of winter and 3 months of poor sledding

Thanks for all your comments guys,
    I realized that after level 20 there is'nt that much difference. I'm rendering a large interior image 4000 x 2000, and I let it cook to level 40, but after I checked the image I saved at level 20 against the final image at level 40, there surprisingly was'nt that much difference, if at all. It is a car in a building, so there are smooth surfaces, reflections, 1 area light above.
    Captain Obvious, is that true, that the previewer ticker at 100 is the same as level 10 in the renderer? Thats incredible, and of course, confusing. Why dont they just program it so its the same and you know where you are when you're watching the render window numbers tick up?

Also, did you check out the "Art of Noise" article on Worley's website? Was pretty helpful to me.

http://worley.com/E/Products/fprime/man_noise.html

I'd love to know why the decision was made to make the passes/render quality number that increments in the previewer is different to that when rendered to disk.

Just confusing, why not make them the same!?! Then you could preview a small part, see where it got to that looked okay, then you could dial in that number if you weren't using 'Endlessly Refine'.
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

I coulda sworn that's the way it worked .. (x10 factor willing)

Ok, no more advice about plugins that I used to use but can not afford to own myself .. :P

j.
    Model: MacBook Pro 10.6.4 - 2.66 GHz - 4GB - NVD GF GT 330M
    Render: Win7 64 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz - 8GB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast