View Poll Results: Which one of these scripting languages would you prefer as an alternative to LScript

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • LUA

2 5.13%
  • Python

24 61.54%
  • JavaScript 2.0 (ActionScript3.0 / Tamarin)

10 25.64%
  • Other (Naming them in a post would be appreciated)

3 7.69%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alternative scripting languages

win 3.1 was not just riding on top of dos? i always just thought of it that way....

anyhoo, yah. i'm fine with agreeing on disagreeing... and on this point regarding mel, i do. and strongly.

jin

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwolf
    But you could do that with any other system as well...
    if so, i've never seen it done in another graphics package. have you? where every conceivable operation can be echoed as a command that can be executed from a command line or simple script?

the fact that EVERY gui function is just executing mel means that i can replicate exactly the effect that i want, down to the parameter, setting, etc.

anyhoo, if that's hell for a graphics programmer, that's unfortunate. but for cg production generalists or TDs, it's heaven.

jin

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jin choung
    win 3.1 was not just riding on top of dos? i always just thought of it that way....
    It was sitting on top of DOS (which, even though very primitive, was an OS and not a bunch of commands), but it wasn't a GUI driving DOS commands.

Cheers,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by jin choung
    if so, i've never seen it done in another graphics package. have you? where every conceivable operation can be echoed as a command that can be executed from a command line or simple script?
    Except for modo, not, but that's becuase I didn't have to code for any of them.
    I think XSI is quite similar as far as commands are concerned, but I've only looked at the SDK in depth, not the scripting.

I will do and get back to you (which reminds me I could check out Houdini again...)

Cheers,
    Mike

I've voted for Javascript 2/Tamarin. Firstly, because I know it pretty well already from using Flash and After Effects (and I'd like to get my teeth into Unity at some point too!). Secondly, on a more personal note - I prefer the syntax, at least compared to Python. Though maybe if I got more into it, it'd make more sense.

Of course, to echo everyone else - SWIG would be perfect, best of both worlds etc.

An interesting observation made in this thread is that JS2/Tamarin is widely used in the Interactive world, while Python is dominant in the Rendering world. I don't know if that's a coincidence or if JS2 is genuinely better suited for writing complex real-time interactivity. If so, let me say that I think it's very likely that the future of all 3D apps is going to be about more interactivity, agent/behaviour based design etc. As 3D content becomes more complex and user-guided procedural synthesis becomes a necessary tool to populate and animate these complex scenes, it would be useful to have a future-proof scripting language which can support this evolution.
    Dan Sollis : Independent CGI Designer & compositor
    Digital Distortion : Post Production for Film and Television
    http://www.digitaldistortion.net

http://www.londonlightwave.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by dsol
    An interesting observation made in this thread is that JS2/Tamarin is widely used in the Interactive world, while Python is dominant in the Rendering world..
    I used to think so... until I found out that most of the OLPC project uses Python as well - for interactive applications. And we're talking low cost, slow hardware here.

Cheers,
    Mike

I voted for Javascript since it, along with Actionscript, is a language I heavily use. To me it's simpler and more intuitive than Python or Lua. Even though I know multiple programming languages I still hate doing anything with them, however. The less stress the better, at least for me.
    visual effect/mograph artist
    Cinema 4D | Lightwave v9.6 | modo 401 | Maestro 2 | Kray 1.7
    MacBook Pro C2D 3 GB

Wimps! I vote for LISP!
    2×Xeon 6140×18 cores×@2.3GHz, 96Gb Ram 2×Quadro p5000
    nerdiness and free stuff at my blob

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123