Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can we unlock things?

Newbie Member

Can we unlock things?

Here's the scenario....

I use the VT-4 to do editing of our sunday services for broadcasting purposes. The way I tend to do things is to capture the live switching signal, then go in and sweeten things up. Same thing with our audio. I take a board mix in with the video capture, as well as send the individual audio channels to a seperate audio computer so I can mix down the praise band and get it to sound a little more pro.

What I'm wondering is this: Is there a way in preferences or somewhere to be able to unlock the audio tracks from the frame grid? I use the board mix as a basis for syncing up my multi-track mixes, and there are times when I'm half a frame or so off. I'd like to be able to slip my audio mix track a half a frame or so, then lock it back in.

Is this possible in VT-4?

Just Tryin' To Help...
    Right-click on the video or audio track and select Unlock Tracks. I think you can then re-lock them the same way after the slide, but I've never tried it. In case you can't, put a track marker on each of the tracks after you slide the audio where you want it (M key with the respective track selected).
    SB Enterprises, Quincy, Illinois ~ in the backwoods of the US of A

TC User Group
    I think you can then re-lock them the same way after the slide
    Not really although this has been requested longer than Virtual Sets...

Ivan

This topic sounds like an empassioned plea during marriage counciling ...

j.
    Model: MacBook Pro 10.6.4 - 2.66 GHz - 4GB - NVD GF GT 330M
    Render: Win7 64 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz - 8GB

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan
    Not really although this has been requested longer than Virtual Sets...

Ivan
    Just because something is requested does not mean it is possible or in the best interest of the many.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

>Just because something is requested does not mean it is possible
    >or in the best interest of the many.
    But because its available as a feature in every other editor from low to high should be a hint that its
    needed.

And lets face it. Its software not hardware.

TC User Group
    Just because something is requested does not mean it is possible or in the best interest of the many.
    I guess I never looked at a feature that can be ignored if you don't need it as "not in the best interest of the many". I am certainly glad that Newtek is looking out for us by not implementing these features that are not in our best interest.

Ivan

Guys have you actually sat down and discussed this issue with Dr. Cross or Mr. Perkins?? I am not talking about sending in a feature request or griping about something on the web boards. I am talking about genuinely asking them "Why it hasn't been done?". I did a while back and I hope what I write here conveys what I walked away with.

What you are asking for is somewhat simple to do for a timeline only based editor. The big issue is the duality that NewTek has provided us with both a storyboard and a timeline editor. It is next to impossible to be able to lock clips on the timeline and still manipulate them on the storyboard as easy as we can currently. Locking the clips down would have severe limitations in the storyboard editor. Do we just say forget the most flexible editing design altogether and let's just conform to what everyone else does? I edit, probably like most of you, in the timeline more than storyboard. For the few times I need to use storyboard, I still would take that over the inconvenience of not having a timeline clip lock.

I know for a fact NewTek is listening as they always have. Sometimes things are not as easy to do as they first appear.
    Last edited by Paul Lara; 09-19-2007 at 11:30 AM.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams

TC User Group
    Well I guess that explains why it isn't in there, it's hard. Like user defined keyboard shortcuts for ToolShed, like sorting toolshed items, like a mute button for a single track, like timecode overlay for the clip not the project, like DVEs on overlays, like Alpha masks, like audio levels that don't change every revision. Do you want me to continue or should I just leave now. These items have been requested for six years and now you are saying they may not be put in because they are hard to do??

Ivan

PS. BS. Clips with audio can be moved in the storyboard and the audio stays connected. How is that possible?

Wow... I just can't these as answers.

There are some things that work on the timeline that don't work in the storyboard and vice versa. That this couldn't work in conjunction with the storyboard, to me, sounds like a cop out.

For example, in the storyboard ripple is always enabled. This doesn't cause the timeline to be 'confused' as to what's happening.

You mean to say that a lock picture can't sit on a crouton in the storyboard to indicate that in time it won't be moved? That somehow, internally, that it can't be programmed to be aware of this locked condition? I find this incredibly difficult to believe.

Particularly difficult to believe with the advent of Virtual Sets upon us. Mayhaps if some of that R&D time had been spent on some of these old issues the idea that it's "hard" would be passed on as a reason for why our favorite editor must stay in the dark ages of NLEs. Oh, but with glistening baubles of the Virtual set, and an undone construction set, it ought to be thought of as the best.

Sarcasm added because this is starting to make less and less sense to me... And feels like someone is really trying to insult we user's intelligence.

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UnCommonGrafx
    You mean to say that a lock picture can't sit on a crouton in the storyboard to indicate that in time it won't be moved? That somehow, internally, that it can't be programmed to be aware of this locked condition? I find this incredibly difficult to believe.
    Ah, remember the Flyer? It had exactly that.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

Yes, Eugene, I do.
    And if all is well in the world, I will see my old flyer system on Monday, if it is still alive. Thanks for spurring that memory.

I also remember "STOP" croutons and other informational croutons that haven't made it into the more 'modern' version.

I am just having a difficult time with the explanation that something of this nature can't be coded. Grouping is already possible and it's possible to move this grouping around in the storyboard and keep things in sync. Haha, In-Sync... I miss Razor and some of its brilliance in this regard. Anyhow... the grouping of which I speak is affectionately called a subproject in our parlance.

Now, in my overly complicated mind, a subproject IS a locked clip: it is locked in time and its contents are locked to the group. It moves if the stuff outside of it moves, yes, but a drilled into subproject does not move as its contents are edited.

That is hard, sure: that's a given as most common people would admit that coding is hard. Impossible, though, is not something I would apply to coding in this day and age in this realm. And you don't have to be a coder to understand that this is something that is possible in the constraints of the system.

Man, why do I get in on these conversations of limitation... Cuz, Robert, you want the 'magic' of that which is deemed hard by those unwilling to be bold in their thinking... And you are going nuts talking to yourself.

Well I guess that explains why it isn't in there, it's hard.
    like user defined keyboard shortcuts for ToolShed
    like sorting toolshed items
    like a mute button for a single track
    like timecode overlay for the clip not the project
    like DVEs on overlays
    like Alpha masks
    like audio levels that don't change every revision.
    While all of these are fantastic additions to add to the feature set of VT, have you ever listed the hundreds of features that WERE added?? I believe that there were quite a few. I am not saying the above feature requests are not possible nor are they without merit. I am just saying that everything can't be in there to make EVERYONE of it's users happy.

Do you want me to continue or should I just leave now.
    I thought you already left Ivan? You have mentioned on numerous occasions that you are using FinalCut because NewTek couldn't give you what you needed. It's okay. I use QuickBooks because NewTek never finished that accounting module for VT I asked for.

These items have been requested for six years and now you are saying they may not be put in because they are hard to do??
    I did not say that. Please do not put words in my mouth or misquote me. I merely shared part of conversation that I had regarding the locking of clips and why it hasn't been done... yet.

Ivan,

Your posts sure make you sound pissed off at the world. I hope that you are not carrying around that type of anger all the time. It sure wouldn't be healthy. These are just tools to do our job as video producers. I use all kinds of tools for my installs. I don't expect to use just ONE tool for my video production.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams

I'll say it for Ivan:
    He's still around because underneath it all, he still cares.

And that he is saying the things that folks find hard to swallow only points to the sentiment that those who don't care HAVE truly gone away. It seems that those who speak not-so-glowingly of the situation are shouted down and asked to leave our midst. This makes no sense: honest, concise and non-sugar coated conversation ought to be embraced rather than flippant statements that have little relevance to the conversation at hand.

That you, Jef, label his points as angry makes it easier to ignore. Mayhaps listening to the words, not the tone, might make the message clearer: there are things that have been requested of the Editor that still haven't made it into the editor to make it a modern and competitive editor.

That is all.

That you, Jef, label his points as angry makes it easier to ignore. Mayhaps listening to the words, not the tone, might make the message clearer:
    Robert, I just get an impression that Ivan has an ax to grind and he keeps throwing gas on the fire every chance he gets. That is just my observation. Honestly I can say the same thing about you at times but you seem to do it much more eloquently with your choice of words. You don't sound like you are angry at all if indeed you are.

there are things that have been requested of the Editor that still haven't made it into the editor to make it a modern and competitive editor.

That is all.
    I agree there are things requested that haven't made it into the editor. Would you like to see my list of things that have not made it into the Live side of VT?? I would pretty much bet it is around the same size. I have things that also go back to the beginning of VT. I have a couple things that I was told straight up that they would never happen due to the design of this or that. I keep asking about them as we go along but I don't point out the system's weakness everytime I post something just to make a point. The strengths of the VT far far FAR outway the weaknesses would you not agree???
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast