Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Detailed VT[5] features list

Quote Originally Posted by PIZAZZ
    in MY opinion...

For post users the hardware upgrade might not be necessary.

For LIVE users then the hardware upgrade would be a really GOOD thing and I strongly recommend upgrading to maximize what you will be able to do with LiveSets.
    Exactly what I wrote above.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Once more into the CPU!
    OK, form what I was told today, October 15th 2007, was the release of VT5. I went to my download section and did not see it, I read the post here and my mind feels like it has gone through a frying pan, and there is nothing new that I can find. My boss wants this update ASAP in hopes it will fix errors we have been having with the VT4 (Lost recalls, freezes, crashes). This might seem like a rant, but I am trying not to. Is there a chance to get some straight answer soon?
    2*TC Mini SDI 5-1-180323
    -BMSC
    -SDI cables
    -LiveText w/SB2
    -YouTube Stream
    _
    SKTV 205
    "Keeping you in tune with school!"
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SKHSVideoProduction

Steve,

What I said was posted by Paul earlier in this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lara
    Yes, the VT33 card only has two video circuits, where the VT PRO card (which began shipping with VT[4]) has three. For example, The VT PRO card makes it possible to have a double-box 2-shot, and still do a DVE away to another source. Using an older card with virtual sets will limit what you can do.

VT[2] Aficionado
    If you plan on doing lots of LiveSet work and you have always dreamed of multiple text overlays in live switching then.... upgrade your card before the price increases $500 tomorrow.
    Uhhh... I don't understand. Why would I not be able to do multiple text overlays with the old card? Those aren't hardware sources. Text is software-generated.

Here's what I really want to know. Computer hardware's not an issue - our computer was new in June and is a dual Xeon Precision:
    • Can I have two live sources in a virtual set, then put one of those embedded sources on preview and use a DVE or a hard cut to switch to that raw input with the VT[2] card?
    • Can I use a DVE do a hard cut between live sets if each live set only has one live source embedded in it using the VT[2] card?

As for us upgrading the hardware, there's no chance of having the money until June, even though we heavily use the live switching portion of VT.

Toaster Oven
    I've been staying mostly quiet about the upgrades as frankly, I'm tired of it.
    I've got THREE upgrades from VT4 to VT5 w/SpeedEdit copies PAID FOR. They have been paid since June of 2006 on the faith that what I paid for would be delivered.

The product (VT5) is still not here. Only after much pleading is there an official list of features. Unfortunately, their is no demo, screen shots or details on what / how some of these features work or why one might use them. I understand what a virtual set is but I have yet to understand, FROM NEWTEK if LiveSets are identical or better and only reading Paul's last post does one learn of the importance / need of a 800mhz FSB.

NEWTEK -- I don't understand how you hope to stay in business. If I was a potential new customer, other than a press release or two, I cannot find ANY reference to your VT5 system, features or system requirements on your web site. (Yes, I know read the specs for a VT4 - but a NEW person would not know this). A new person would likely leave your site if they are looking for info on VT5. A new person is not likely to troll through a message board hoping for information the company won't even put on its web pages.

As a CURRENT USER I have to agree totally with Jim... I'm not paying 1 cent to upgrade ANYTHING from Newtek at this point. A) Because I've lost faith on when I will get it. B) If I don't understand WHY I should upgrade. Its great that if I want to upgrade from VT3 to VT4 I have a chart comparing the two, but it would certainly help your sales if you added a third column listing VT5.

Oh by the way, least you editors think the Pro card is not needed for LiveSets - I copied this from the VT4 specs page:
    For Hi Definition editing, Maximum usage of VT[5] LiveSet(tm) technology requires a VT PRO card...

and by the way, it's after business hours on the 15th of October and according to Newtek's web site yo can upgrade your hardware for $1995:
    "VT[4]™ Upgrade from VT[x] Hardware Trade-In (with VT[4] Software) $ 1,995.00"

I am becoming quite confused. Let me see if I have this straight. I paid for my VT5 upgrade in June 2006. Then in the beginning of 2007 I was told that the upgrade that I paid for was delayed because there was a breakthrough and by waiting longer I would be able to use virtual sets, and that it would be worth the wait. Now I am being told that I can not use virtual sets unless I pay another $1995. in order to use the same virtual sets that someone who upgrades today will pay without being out their money for a year and a half. Am I right in thinking this is very unfair.
    Dispite popular belief, Digital does not mean quality.

Thee cool evening breezes of Anytown, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by KHS-TV
    Uhhh... I don't understand. Why would I not be able to do multiple text overlays with the old card? Those aren't hardware sources. Text is software-generated.

I 'think' he is referring to multiple live DSKs. Multiple grfx on screen.

I think.

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_C
    I 'think' he is referring to multiple live DSKs. Multiple grfx on screen.

I think.

That is correct Jim. Not just Downstream Keys anymore but also Upstream Keys tied to each input. Title Template "exportion" from the CG Designer allows for some really powerful titling capabilities for those doing live broadcasts. The "405 Traffic Cam" input will always have the correct overlay now without having to change the DSK layer. A commonly asked for feature was to have a Station ID Bug and a graphic layer up at the same time. That is now easily possible.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Thee cool evening breezes of Anytown, USA
    Picking up on a point brought up earlier....

If in 2 weeks, a month, I decide to upgrade to VTPro, it will be $2495 then, plus the $500 I prepaid equaling $3000...?? Correct?

And in 2 weeks a VT4 non-pro user who did not pre order, can also upgrade to a VTPro card and VT5 for $2500...? $500 less...?

Shouldn't every pre-order person have a non expiring $1995 price? Otherwise it costs us $500 more for having faith.

I may be missing fine print tho, cause shirley that does not seem right.

Thanks again for any info...
    Jim

VT[2] Aficionado
    That is correct Jim. Not just Downstream Keys anymore but also Upstream Keys tied to each input. Title Template "exportion" from the CG Designer allows for some really powerful titling capabilities for those doing live broadcasts. The "405 Traffic Cam" input will always have the correct overlay now without having to change the DSK layer. A commonly asked for feature was to have a Station ID Bug and a graphic layer up at the same time. That is now easily possible.
    To be clear, though, I do not need a VT Pro card to do any of that, right? All of that stuff deals with computer-generated sources, so that shouldn't be relying on the I/O card at all. Also, I'd really appreciate it if you could answer these questions for me, Jef (or anybody else who knows!):

• Can I have two live sources in a virtual set, then put one of those embedded sources on preview and use a DVE or a hard cut to switch to that raw input with the VT[2] card?
    • Can I use a DVE do a hard cut between live sets if each live set only has one live source embedded in it using the VT[2] card?

I'm sure lots of VT[2]/VT[3] upgraders would find that information useful.

VT[2] Aficionado
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_C
    Picking up on a point brought up earlier....

If in 2 weeks, a month, I decide to upgrade to VTPro, it will be $2495 then, plus the $500 I prepaid equaling $3000...?? Correct?

And in 2 weeks a VT4 non-pro user who did not pre order, can also upgrade to a VTPro card and VT5 for $2500...? $500 less...?

Shouldn't every pre-order person have a non expiring $1995 price? Otherwise it costs us $500 more for having faith.

I may be missing fine print tho, cause shirley that does not seem right.

Thanks again for any info...
    Jim
    I second that. In fact, I think NewTek should create a new SKU for a hardware-only upgrade that takes into account the people who already paid for the software upgrade. That'd make the hardware upgrade ~$1,500 instead of $2,500 for people who already have the software. Fair, no?

Quote Originally Posted by kleima
    Steve,

What I said was posted by Paul earlier in this thread:

Originally Posted by Paul Lara
    Yes, the VT33 card only has two video circuits, where the VT PRO card (which began shipping with VT[4]) has three. For example, The VT PRO card makes it possible to have a double-box 2-shot, and still do a DVE away to another source. Using an older card with virtual sets will limit what you can do.
    I am not really clear how you arrive at the conclusion below from reading Paul's note above? I think you may be reading too much into it.

You are not correct about not being able to transition between to live set enabled inputs. It will do this on the older card, and you can put an effect or other input onto one of the virtual monitors at the same time, however, you cannot put two inputs onto two virtual monitors.
    In his quote, Paul does not really state 'you can transition between two LiveSet enabled sources with the 33mHz card. ' I'd be glad if you could, but have seen nothing to support that conclusion. By contrast, I have been explicitly told not to count on it, and have other reasons for doubt.

I'm a conservative fellow. I opt for the safer bet, rather than have someone expect it will do so and then be disappointed. I think NewTek's comments have been made with a similar caution.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

TC User Group
    I think NewTek's comments have been made with a similar caution.
    I would have hoped that by now they could throw caution to the wind and tell us exactly what older cards can or cannot do and stop dancing. Isn't this about ready to ship?

Also there is no mention of any bug fixes for VT4 so far only Live Sets. Based on past performance I don't feel confident that any issues are being addressed for VT5 that existed in VT4 but rather time is being spent on Virtual Sets. Not a big deal, I just need a refund.

As for VT5 and picking up a Pro card, why? That card will never do HD. Put the money towards a Tricaster if you want to do that kind of work. At least you know you will have something that has the full attention of Newtek (at least for now).

Ivan

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan
    Not a big deal, I just need a refund.
    You're asking in the wrong place then, Ivan. A community forum isn't in a position to grant that request, and it is a dead certainty NewTek won't consider a request here to have any standing.

Assuming you've not previously availed yourself of any part of the product purchase, a refund under these (lengthy) circumstances doesn't seem all that unreasonable imho. Maybe try approaching Sales, then let us know the result.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

TC User Group
    You're right, that may have been a little out of line.

The more I think about it I think that if you are doing this kind of work and you have a VT3 card you will be better off going with a TriCaster than upgrading to the Pro Card. If you still have the VT3 card it is likely that you will need to upgrade your computer as well to take full advantage of the new features. At that point you could have your old VT and a new Tricaster couldn't you??

Ivan

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast