Thread: A helpful Edit Line

A helpful Edit Line

While working on a music video I realize how helpful it would be if the edit line could seen on top of the tracks instead of hidden behind them. Because I have ten tracks that are scripted to the same audio I use the waveform to align all ten tracks. The alignment is important because a model is singing and the orginal sound track was used to tie them all together. The edit line could be use to align all the tracks using the waveform.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tothefrontplease.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	185.3 KB 
ID:	49926  

Is that a VO track at the bottom? You simply zoom in to frames, allign the audio to a peak and set a marker on the audio track. Once you align the markers to the same peak on all tracks, rt.click the top track and unlock streams. rt.clk. the other tracks and disable audio. Hold the v key and drag the un locked audio to the bottom. Now just Lasso just the video tracks, start the timeline playing, and hit the c key on the beat, or use the toolshed. Don't over think it and it soon will be all second nature. Point being there are many many ways to do the same thing, you will find what works for you, then someone will teach ya another FASTER way! LOL

It has been suggested to get BobFX MCE I used awhile back with 9 layers, where I had the 9 tracks on my output monitor. Of course I couldn't play the layers and cut, so I set beat markers while playing just the audio, then scrubbing and watching for the shots on the SD monitor, I then cut all 9 at the same time, pulling the shot I wanted on the top most layer, holding the v key. I then said DUH, and started selecting the cuts I wanted to keep, holding the ctrl key, then used the v key and moved them all at the same time. Doing a 4min. project only took a couple hours to cut.

GoodLuck
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

Digitizing video since 1984
    HyMPG Designer since 1997
    [email protected]

I can see how a change like that would definitely help in editing music video. It would just be a matter of locking the top track so that doesn't scroll vertically - much the way you can lock a row or rows in a spreadhseet to use them a column labels as you scroll up and down through data. That would be a simple but powerful feature.
    Toasting with NewTek since 1991 - Corinthian Media Services
    Riding Quiet on an Electric Ninja.

TC User Group
    You simply zoom in to frames, allign the audio to a peak and set a marker on the audio track. Once you align the markers to the same peak on all tracks, rt.click the top track and unlock streams. rt.clk. the other tracks and disable audio. Hold the v key and drag the un locked audio to the bottom. Now just Lasso just the video tracks, start the timeline playing, and hit the c key on the beat, or use the toolshed.
    Well thank God there is a work around so NewTek doesn't have to figure out how to display the timeline OVER the tracks. Wasn't this asked for in VT2?? Maybe it can't be done.

Ivan

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    This should be in "feature requests", but yes, putting the scrub bar OVER everything is a better way to do it. When you get used to other NLEs that let you grab the scrub bar anywhere, and see it everywhere, you definately miss that feature when you come back to SE.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

TC User Group
    This should be in "feature requests",
    It has been requested since VT2. What's the process down there, do they just look at how many times something is asked for before they do anything or do they just wait to see what Bob is selling and add that?

Ivan

And now I see what you are saying, instead of being off in my own little world...

Yes, I agree, the Edit Line would be better on top of the clips, for alignment purposes.

But I still think being able to lock a single track so that it doesn't scroll vertically would be cool :-)
    Toasting with NewTek since 1991 - Corinthian Media Services
    Riding Quiet on an Electric Ninja.

an update

well I learned that markers can be used to align the different tracks. mark the same waveform point on each track then the markers will snap to each other. For me this ten step process does not make sense when a simple change can in the software is a better way of doing things. By the way the changes would require me to place the edit line on the waveform and align all other tracks to it. It would be equally great if tracks could be locked from accidental edits. :agree: