Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is everybody happy?

Is everybody happy?

Just wanted to ask the PPC G5 owners out there who have the 7800 GT card and 9.3 installed - is it fast enough for you?...stable enough for you?.......

Hi Jat,

We're not done with the UB yet. This is the first release, and there are always more optimizations that can be made.

I hope everyone is happy, just not completely satisfied, or why should we bother with an update?

-Chilton

I've been very happy with the whole beta process up to this final release Chilton; but yes lots of things still need to be optimized; but this is by far the fastest Lightwave rendering wise on the Mac to date.

-mark

Well I haven't downloaded it for my G5 yet, but I'm running it on my MacBook Pro, and it is so much nicer! I haven't had any time to really tinker with it, but just the look and feel of it is way better, and I've only heard good things about the render performance compared to the PPC only version..

Newtek guys, you really need to be commended for 9.3 UB! In the past I've been very vocal about my complaints about lightwave (even got kicked off the forum one time). But this new version is really something good. I've got it running on my macpro and the opengl seems to be as fast as it is on the windows install of lightwave. Also rendering is quicker and things just seem snappier in general. Also, it seems very stable so far. I think this 9.3 release is just the kind of momentum you (Newtek) needed. Thanks, Newtek!

I did install 9.3 PPC version on my powerbook g4 but haven't really played around with it much. Do you think it's better to just run the universal binary on my powerbook also?
    Dual 3.0ghz Quad Core Mac Pro, 16gb RAM, GeForce 8800 GT
    Macbook Pro 15" 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT 512mb

Hi unc1e meat,

We fixed a great number of things in the UB version. In the course of its development, we've been running it daily on everything from a G4 Mac Mini up through the latest and fastest MacPros. It's faster than the CFM version, across the board.

-Chilton

I'm a happy camper!
    "There can be no true beauty without decay." --Latin proverb. Nothing digital is beautiful?
    Our new movie is here: http://epistrophypictures.com

Newbie Member
    Actually, with the lastest 1269 build, I'm noticing that it runs slower on my Mac. I've held off posting because it might be an issue on my end. Especially since everyone else seems to be so happy.

For example, I created a simple 2500 polygon ball in modeler. Sent it to Layout and it took a good 20 seconds or so for it to appear. When I clicked on the object, there was a slight delay of 3 seconds before it would select. If I cloned 5 more balls, I couldn't drag the ball without the object showing up as an outline (as I dragged). There are a few other quirks that bug me, but like I said, it might be local to my machine. Oh wait, and another major thing... when I quit Layout and Modeler, the hub doesn't quit. It stays running until I select it and tell it to quit. Then I get a message telling me it can't quit because Layout is running - even though it's not.

Any ideas on how I can speed everything up? What should I look for on my system that may be conflicting? Would it be Lightwave 9.0, even though it's not running?

Maybe I should have started a new thread?

My machine:

MacPro 2.66
    X1900
    6GB Ram

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by Largemedium
    Maybe I should have started a new thread?
    Not a bad idea. It makes it easier to track issues when they're in their own threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Largemedium
    Oh wait, and another major thing... when I quit Layout and Modeler, the hub doesn't quit. It stays running until I select it and tell it to quit. Then I get a message telling me it can't quit because Layout is running - even though it's not.
    This bug was fixed in an earlier build. The Hub now checks the process list before displaying that error, which means if Layout is actually not there, you'll never see that message. Any chance you have an old copy of the Hub laying around?

Would it be Lightwave 9.0, even though it's not running?
    Could be. The issue you're reporting with the Hub sounds a lot like how it would behave prior to the 9.3 UB Hub.

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilton
    Hi,

Not a bad idea. It makes it easier to track issues when they're in their own threads...
    Thanks Chilton! I think what I'll do is delete all references to Lightwave then reinstall 9.3. I doubt I'm going to need 9.0 anymore if I can get the UB behaving correctly. If I'm still having problems, I'll start a thread with the specifics.

Any chance you have an old copy of the Hub laying around?
    You see, I need to keep lots of previous versions on my HD because I'm dealing with several scenes that I have to re-render (with slight changes) occasionally and they often look wrong in different builds. I keep track of which scene renders in which build.

So of course I have old copies of the hub "laying around". Does that mean the hiccups I've been having occur when the wrong version of the hub starts up with Layout?

What if I double-click the hub first, then Layout? Will that guarantee they'll match while I'm working?

Hal
    "There can be no true beauty without decay." --Latin proverb. Nothing digital is beautiful?

Hi,

All you need to do is verify that the Hub you're running is the one that should be running. So command+click it while it's in the dock, and see if it's the same one that is in the folder next to your app.

-Chilton

Hi,

All you need to do is verify that the Hub you're running is the one that should be running. So command+click it while it's in the dock, and see if it's the same one that is in the folder next to your app.

-Chilton
    As usual, eveytime I ask a you a question the problem goes away before you have a chance to answer it! UB Build 1269 is running beautifully, has been for what, about a week now? I haven't had a single hiccup with hub since my last post.

Just for fun I tried your apple click trick which is cool. Didn't know you could do that. I thought I knew all those kinds of tricks (been Mac-ing since early 90s). Each time I've tried it the correct hub was running.

Hal

Quote Originally Posted by jat
    Just wanted to ask the PPC G5 owners out there who have the 7800 GT card and 9.3 installed - is it fast enough for you?...stable enough for you?.......
    Just wanted to make sure you knew, set all your viewports to solid or texture to get the OpenGL speed. One view set to Wireframe will slow down all the viewports.
    I can navigate a scene in nearly realtime, with a million polys (2x2 G5, ATI 7800, 64mb, old and slow!). Scrubbing animation is not as fast, but it's not slow enough to hurt the workflow.
    Confirmed -
    No Weapons of Mass Destruction
    or links to Al Queda or 9/11. (Sep. 2003)

toby, are you seeing any other wierdness? I am experiencing deadly slow menus and activation. Sometimes my selection modes don't work. This kind of stuff seriously needs to be squashed right now...............

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast