Page 53 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast

Thread: We need VRay for LW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..........

i've heard this before, though not sure if i believe it. do you have the images?
    then again, who knows...
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

I'd really be surprised if they were identicle. Every render engine has "a look" to it.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonwestmas View Post
    I'd really be surprised if they were identicle. Every render engine has "a look" to it.
    Of course they weren't perfectly identical. But they looked similar enough for me not to be able to tell which was which.

It was also a relatively simple test, where all surfaces were either perfectly lambertian diffuse or near-perfectly specular (ie, rough reflections). No really advanced shading was used. A few image maps, but they came out looking the same.

I don't have the tests anymore, and I even uninstalled Octane so I can't reproduce it easily.

None of them were interiors, either. I suspect Octane might have a bit of an advantage there. It was more product viz type shots.
    Are my spline guides showing?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    None of them were interiors, either...
    this explains it...
    but like i said earlier, Vray looks to have a great (flicker-free) speed rendering animations.

for interiors i'd probably choose Octane or Kray personally.
     

there is a stand-alone version of Vray, you just need someone to write an exporter for LW -
    Confirmed -
    No Weapons of Mass Destruction
    or links to Al Queda or 9/11. (Sep. 2003)

Quote Originally Posted by toby View Post
    there is a stand-alone version of Vray, you just need someone to write an exporter for LW -
    "Just"...

The workflow is hardly ideal, and translating texturing is a challenge. Have you ever used Maxwell. They've spent years trying to develop good-quality exporters, and I think they've done a pretty good job. But it's still not perfect, and can be quite problematic at times. It's no simple matter.
    Are my spline guides showing?

I'm not saying it's easy ( but damn it should be easier than what you're saying about maxwell ) I'm saying the odds of getting vray are probably a lot better if you promote both possiblities. I believe someone did it for C4D years ago.
    Confirmed -
    No Weapons of Mass Destruction
    or links to Al Queda or 9/11. (Sep. 2003)

Hi,

On a side note, when I'm looking at the Chaosgroup offer concerning Vray, I can see Max, Maya, SketchUp, Rhino and now Softimage.

However, I can't see a single real competitor for AD products in this list...

Just a thought.

Tchao

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    comparing the Modo renders vs Octane...
    http://www.refractivesoftware.com/gallery.html

Modo = 0
    Octane = 1
    That 1 might stay 1 indefinitely if AD kills octane tech or maybe 1000 if they decide to develop it as their cloud computing renderer.
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=126615
    Could even be better than vray someday.

Quote Originally Posted by geo_n View Post
    That 1 might stay 1 indefinitely if AD kills octane tech or maybe 1000 if they decide to develop it as their cloud computing renderer.
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=126615
    Could even be better than vray someday.
    autodesk is not involved, as they clearly say in the following comments on the octane forums.

clearly, for any GPU render engine, a serious limitation is the limited RAM amount even large current graphic cards can offer. large or complex scenes cannot be rendered this way.
    Last edited by 3dworks; 03-13-2012 at 08:58 AM.
    3dworks visual computing
    demo reel on vimeo
    instagram

OSX 10.12.x, macpro 5.1, nvidia gtx 980 ti, LW2015.x / 2018.x, octane 3.x

AD invested an undisclosed amount. Otoy is a small company developing tools for AD. AD will surely be involved.
    The press release is just to appease octane customers. After v1 there might not be anything after that or it could be an exclusive plugin for AD soft. Glad I didn't invest too much time with octane standalone.

Eh, what?
    AD invested an undisclosed amount. Otoy is a small company developing tools for AD. AD will surely be involved.
    The press release is just to appease octane customers. After v1 there might not be anything after that or it could be an exclusive plugin for AD soft. Glad I didn't invest too much time with octane standalone.
    Wow, am I glad I haven't bought an Octane license - for once my completely irrational dislike for GPU renderers has been useful! Although I must admit, the stuff on the (rather pretentious) Otoy website is impressive. If it's true that Octane had basically a single chap doing all the work and ruining his health in the process, while now there's a multitude of talented programmers with AD-like funds hacking away at it (including personal hero Paul Debevec) this thing could really turn into something.

ADP.

Yep glad it was cheap. I tried to sell it once because of the announcement the main dev was quitting to pursue other interest a year ago. I thought it was a flaky roadmap from then on and didn't bother anymore with octane. Its in ADs hands now what they want to do with it.
    Anyway vray is still king for now.

This is something octane could never do well unlike a general renderer like vray.
    Only arnold could match vray now, modo renderer might be on its way. Wonder how many renderpasses and buffers they usually require.
    http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/C...er_2_cinematic
    Last edited by geo_n; 03-14-2012 at 10:18 AM.

reminds me of Lightscape...

Page 53 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast