Thread: Select polys to a sharp crease?

Cartoon-based life form mgrusin's Avatar

Select polys to a sharp crease?

Hey pixel pushers,

I've been wanting a tool a few times today where you could select a single poly on a very dense object, and it would select all the polys outwards from that poly until it reaches a sharp crease on the object. For a lousy example if you had a cube with lots and lots of subdivisions, it would select all the polygons on one face stopping at the 90 degree edge.

I mostly need it to remove hidden geometry from importing a cad model with hundreds of thousands of polys.

Any ideas? Thanks! =) -MG.

I'm assuming that you have already tried the expand selection thing [SHIFT] + ] key I believe. It won't stop at the crease however and you would need to deselect the "overflow".
    --Andrew
    Bono Animo Esto

Intel Core i5 3570k
    nVidia GTX 970
    8GB DDR3 1333MHz
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by mgrusin
    Hey pixel pushers,

I've been wanting a tool a few times today where you could select a single poly on a very dense object, and it would select all the polys outwards from that poly until it reaches a sharp crease on the object. For a lousy example if you had a cube with lots and lots of subdivisions, it would select all the polygons on one face stopping at the 90 degree edge.

I mostly need it to remove hidden geometry from importing a cad model with hundreds of thousands of polys.

Any ideas? Thanks! =) -MG.
    I know exactly what you mean... it would almost be like a magic wand for 3d selection. Where you could change what angle it would stop selecting elements - say - 60deg, or 90deg...

Just so you know, Strata3D has this tool. It is called, surprisingly, "Magic Wand Tool". Here's a pic of the settings for the tool...

Jack of many trades ice_blade_za's Avatar
    On a similar note I was asking a while back for a plugin that would murge all planar polys. Meshes that get exported from many applications get made into triangles. Merging all those triangles back into polys can be a killer.

The issue you have stems from porting meshes from one piece of software to another, I have found that most 3D packages avoid trying to fix any issues related to this because they don't really want you moving data between them. Sad fact I have to say.
    "Shadows .... !?! I don't need no stinking shadows!"

Cartoon-based life form mgrusin's Avatar
    Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I'm boning up (ha!) on lscript and will try to write my own tool, doesn't seem impossible. Will post if successful.

@ice; yes, that tool would be awesome. I may take a stab at it as well, but the problem feels like it has nontrivial cases, like interior holes (I've got a lot of bolt holes in my objects and it blows the polygon count out of sight). Triangles seem to be the least common denominator between all these different tools, so that's what we get - and a lot of them!

Plugging away, -MG.