Page 54 of 56 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 LastLast

Thread: Extra Buffer nodes

Awesome ! Denis strikes again. Thank you Gerardo for the setup and all valuable information !
    Merry Christmas to both of you.
    www.oliviermichon.fr | 3D Animation, Motion Graphics and Broadcast Design.

Nice! Very Nice!

Merry Christmas!
    Last edited by erikals; 12-17-2018 at 11:56 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Nonplanar Triangle Quantenschaum's Avatar
    i'm stupid, so i have to ask what the settings for the 1st and the 2nd 'convert cs' nodes are... (i usually render sRGB) :-D
    my current testing showed the best result when both are set to 'Linear'.

oh... did i mention how utterly brilliant this all is? :-O it's like a thorn removed from my side! THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!
    Last edited by Quantenschaum; 12-18-2018 at 01:03 AM.

Sorry for not being clear. Using Cineon in the previous case:

tested here with a modified version of LogC and it's working nicely too so flat logarithmic curves work well

Gerardo

Nonplanar Triangle Quantenschaum's Avatar
    thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by gerardstrada View Post
    Ok. Denis has come up with something even better!!! ...and in record time! The new DP Median filter.

Setup can not be simpler since all is solved as post-processing just in Image Filter Node Editor. The filter works so well that you can bring to LW, renders from other 3D packages

The filter should be applied in perceptual space, or even better, in a very flat space. Something like Cineon works nicely. Setup looks like this:

So for this render:

We get this:

Or for this render:

We get this:

Think these are impressive results for so easy setup!

In both cases I'm using these settings:

Think this is gonna be one of the most used filters from now on in LW2018 if there's even cases where not all fireflies can be removed, we can still mix it with the methods shared before.

Merry Christmas!

Gerardo

This looks really nice.

Not sure how to make this work, I downloaded Dp filter for 2018, but cant find the node dp median :S is there a different plugin to download?
    I'm a Norwegian photographer, check out my web site www.fotofashion.no

Quote Originally Posted by Fotofashion View Post
    This looks really nice.

Not sure how to make this work, I downloaded Dp filter for 2018, but cant find the node dp median :S is there a different plugin to download?
    It's part of DP Filter. If you type "median" in the search box of the Node Editor, you should see it (DP Filter > Filters > Median). If not then try to remove and re-add DP Filter plugin.

Thanks again Gerardo! Always like seeing your examples
    Neat implementation by Denis, that WILL come in handy!
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    Neat implementation by Denis, that WILL come in handy!
    Totally agree Tim! really surprised how well DP Median filter is working with HDR values.

Regarding another new topic, in previous versions of LW, we set up Matte Objects and Surfaces in Pixel Filter NE in order we can get antialiasing. This can be done as well in Surface NE through DP ExtraBuffers. These node setups can be found in this article:

https://web.archive.org/web/20140617...Object_ID_Pass

GlobalBuffers and several other previous pixel filter functionality is not present yet in v2018 of DP PFNE since the SDK is kind of opaque for Denis (really hope he receives the NT support we all are waiting for). We don't have DP ExtraBuffers in v2018 due to the same reason, but instead of DP ExtraBuffers, Denis has developed the new DP GetCustomBuffers! It operates through the new LW CustomBuffers by sending these data to DP Image Filter Node Editor. This is the procedure:

- Go to Render Properties=>Buffers=> CreateCustomBuffers

- Pick a name with the prefix DPF_ (let's say DPF_MatteObjects)

- Enable Render Buffer and Adaptive Sampling

Note: We can choose any Reconstruction Filter or any Filter Radius we want.

That's all.

In Surface Node Editor you'll see these new buffers entries in the Surface Root. Just input the attached node setups (you can of course modify or replace these with your favorite node tree for surface/object mattes) and activate VPR. We can switch from FinalRender to any of these new CustomBuffers to check how things are going.

Note: Notice that we get not only nice antialiasing, but also DOF, motionblur, etc. either for objects:

or surfaces:

For saving these buffers we can use LW's Output module. Or if you want to save in DP IFNE, just double click in ImageFilter node and enable Global Buffers.

Then add a GetGlobalBuffers node and connect there your Custom Buffers by double clicking and export as usual.

Notice that the post-processing could be performed also in DP IFNE by using DP ColorKey and DP Mixer nodes in conjunction with all color correction tools we can arrange with DP Filter Node Editors, DP Kit and native LW nodes.

Merry Christmas!

Gerardo
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by gerardstrada; 12-20-2018 at 01:43 AM. Reason: forgot attachment!

Frequenter
    Brilliant!!! You guys (Denis and Gerardo, that is) just simply rock!!! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
    Brilliant!!! You guys (Denis and Gerardo, that is) just simply rock!!! :-)
    It is, indeed !

Let's hope Denis will receive some support from Newtek regarding the SDK, so he could be able to add the missing tools.

I am not node master so i have question.

It is possible to use DP_Median on Specular Indirect buffer and merge result in final color channel in Image Filter?

Also DP_Median could be used few times in series.

Good points! yes, DP Median may be used in series and it's possible to apply them only to problematic buffers - commonly indirect specular, direct specular and indirect diffuse sometimes. That's a cleaner approach since would preserve better more details and it's viable if we are going for multipass rendering, then we can recompose our whole beauty pass in DP IFNE, or any other compositing package. But in some cases, like this one:

full beauty pass composition is not necessary, we can just treat only the problematic buffers through DP Median

subtract the problematic untreated buffers from Final Color and then add the result of the treated buffers with DP Median back to Final Color.

guess it depends on how much rebel fireflies are there.

Gerardo

From my test i see that fireflies can be on few buffers, depend from BSDF settings and shaders: Diffuse_Indirect, Clearcoat_Indirect, Specular_Indirect, Refraction, SSS_Indirect and DP_Median not working on Refraction.

Gerado
    You mind if I repost this in the LW Support Facebook Group? With full credit of course.

Page 54 of 56 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 LastLast