Thread: Spreadsheet: why is it adding number when replacing a file?

Spreadsheet: why is it adding number when replacing a file?

I am using the spreadsheet to change ONE file. I select my one file and SE goes about enumerating my clips: Change017.avi, Change018.avi, Change019.avi, etc. The files name is Change, in this example; so why won't it just replace the one for the one without this enumeration action?

An aside: does the spreadsheet freeze SE for you, too? Scroll to the bottom, do some work; check to make sure you are at the bottom and freeze-ola, for me. Graphic drivers are all up to date as it scrolls much better now. Still...
    Last edited by UnCommonGrafx; 07-25-2007 at 08:24 AM.

I did not find this Robert. When I select one clip, nothing happened. When I goto the bottom, do some work ie... moved a clip, went to the bottom and nothing happened.

Don't know what to tell ya, as to why your seeing this. Maybe something with the project, and maybe someone else will test and get the same as you.

GoodLuck
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

Digitizing video since 1984
    HyMPG Designer since 1997
    [email protected]

I can't understand exactly what you are doing there Robert.

Can you email me clear steps so that I can try it?

I'm sure there is something subtle that you are doing that Kilo and I aren't.

Thanks,
    John Perkins
    Software Engineer

"No, it's my natural color..."

It sound just a teensy bit like an accidental multi-selection ... but Robert's not likely to have made that mistake?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Hmm,
    Steve's got it: it was a multi-select. So am I to understand that it won't replace the singular file in a multi-selection? Like one can do with the drive and directories? I used to do this in VT so thought it was the same.

So, this is how it's SUPPOSED to work: one can only change one file at a time? That's not at all speedy...

And nope, Steve, not a mistake. Purposeful work: do them all at once since you can... or so I thought.

I probably need more coffee Robert - no, I DEFINITELY need more coffee ... but maybe you could spell it out for me - what did you hope it would do, and what did it do instead? (sorry man, long day)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

A long day, indeed, Steve. And I'm cutting back on my coffee so...

Yeah, what I was doing was attempting to replace one clip on the timeline with another. I thought, "Hey, I can do this in the spreadsheet instead of doing it one by one with the inherit function."
    That did not work. And now, I've checked in VT and the behavior doesn't work as I would think, as well. To that end, I stand corrected about the behavior being unlike VT.

What VT does is just change the one you press the three dots on. Also, VT does the SAME dang on thing IF you rename the multi-selected files: enumerates them.

So, the lesson I've learned is that none of this works as "I" would expect. It's still one by one... That bites.

So, just to get this fixed in my mind, you're saying that you have used a single source file (let's call it "OriginalFile.avi") in a number of places in the project, and want to replace all instances of it with "ReplacementFile.avi."

So you multi-select all of the OriginalFile.avi entries in the Spreadsheet and modify the name, in hopes that they will all get the identical new name (ReplacementFile.avi) ... but instead the result is numerically incremented variations on that name.

Have I got it right finally, Robert?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

(Playing with this, so forgive me for adding my own reply)

I think my post above was correct, as it does behave as you have described. I think this is because the function used is "Rename" - and I think there is an inherent incremental count when you do a multi-rename, likely to avoid accidentally overwriting a file by naming multiple selections with the same name.

What I think is needed to make this serve your purpose is the addition of a "Change Source" menu point for this column in the spreadsheet. That would be a useful feature request, imho.

(You likely realize, btw, that you have the option of simply renaming "OriginalFile.avi" as something else using Windows - or even deleting it - then renaming "ReplacementFile.avi" as "OriginalFile.avi" and reloading your SE project and all the replacements would be done for you in 'one swell foop.')
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Steve,
    You've got it. And I'm not making any more requests of them until some of those that are three or more years old get dealt with. And yes, it would be an addition to the software that would be beneficial.

Also, I tried the rename thing and I couldn't get SE to start up after the rename. ????? It kept crashing on me. So, I went back to the original name and went into patience mode while I did them one by one. This was not speedy. But it worked and that's what counts.

So, this project that started off with a good feeling that went funky for a moment may actually get done. And without me having to resort to the other software they've provided me here.

Quote Originally Posted by UnCommonGrafx
    Also, I tried the rename thing and I couldn't get SE to start up after the rename. ?????
    I haven't tried it lately, but it used to work. There may be some limitations, like the replacement file being the same legnth, for example - not sure.

I'd test it, but today is a busy day already - the day I get into Vista 64 bit .. pray for me.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator