Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the most tedious LW project you have ever done?

Unhappy What is the most tedious LW project you have ever done?

Right its time to start a thread, hopefully someone will reply this time.... (cries)
    anyway im undertaking a game format conversion anyone got anything more boring than that?...

most boring project wins um ...

well i'l think of something!

A tv commercial set in a gigantic junkyard. About 20 million polys per shot (divided into 4-5 passes), hundereds of objects to texture (without image maps), and it looked like garbage.
    Confirmed -
    No Weapons of Mass Destruction
    or links to Al Queda or 9/11. (Sep. 2003)

thats pretty bad i hate sorting through piles of textures on one map (shudder)
    i feel for you man

Cleaning catia data.
    I used to get the exported vrml data, and that wasn't fun. Catia doesn't allow you to specify the quality for the vrml export, so the files had holes, were lowpoly and not suitable for rendering. So I had to rework/fix/remodel the parts that are seen in the animation. Often poly after poly...

Today I use MoI to convert .igs data into .lwo. Much better. There's still alot of work (mostly smoothing issues due to missing vertex normals in LW) but with MoI I'm in control of most of the quality.

mike
    If you are not paying for it, you’re not the customer; you’re the product being sold.

An animation that displayed hundreds of nanospheres clumping together under an electron microscope. The problem was that the client was very specific about the movement of the spheres so I couldn't use hypervoxels or any type of particles - they were all heroes. Each was about 1,000 polys so I had about a million in total.

Render...render...

...and then the timing needed adjustment ("add 2 seconds to the fly-in"). Open up dope track!
    visual effect/mograph artist
    Cinema 4D | Lightwave v9.6 | modo 401 | Maestro 2 | Kray 1.7
    MacBook Pro C2D 3 GB

Mr Rid! This thread needs you!

j.
    Model: MacBook Pro 10.6.4 - 2.66 GHz - 4GB - NVD GF GT 330M
    Render: Win7 64 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz - 8GB

I once had to create an entire field of grass by hand, blade by blade!

No seriously, not really had anything major, probably having to save different versions of scenes, modify the lws file to load different objects (same objects, but different names) so I could texture them differently. Had LW had instancing that also allowed unique surfaces, it would have been much easier!
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Amused
    I guess I'm lucky. The most tedious thing I've done is to take a toroid and pull all the points into several different mouth shapes for a morph map. Then discovering that RotateMorph didn't work for some reason, and doing it all over again with the toroid in the correct rotation. I did learn about grouping points that second time around though.

Optimizing CAD data of a CAR who is having 9.7 milion polygons (all triangles freezed from NURBS) to Lw friendly model. I ended up at 5.4 milion polygons what all needed to be manually welded/merged and then surfaced to 100+ materials. All that wouldn't be a bad/hard thing if it wasn't happening in year 2003 with Slow GFX card (3Dlabs Wildcat VP760 64MB), Modeler 7.0, 1GB of RAM while file of model was 80-90MB with each incremental save. I still feeel my pain from back then (worked for 2 weeks jus ton modeling ). And after all that i had to render it in 5100*3500 resolution witg 1GB machine. I was rendering in 4 pieces (limited region) + 3GB of VMEM and few days of actuall rendering . It turned out pretty nice at end .
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/x TitanX(M) + 2x GTX 1080Ti + GTX 1080
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

The worst is when your tedium is all for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by archijam
    Mr Rid! This thread needs you!
    j.
    Let's see, rigging a complex character in Lightwave.... or painting a bunch of weight maps on it in Modeler... or getting Lightwave dynamics to work with it... or getting Japanese plugins to work with the dynamics... or interpreting Japanese support for the plugins... a week later, after I abandon IK, expressions, dynamics and plugins, I manually animate and displace a shirt sleeve to move with an arm as it bends to pick up a pencil (and everyone marvels at how it was done in LW).

But seriously folks. I've learned it's often better to avoid complex tools and just get in there and animate the damn thing 'tediously.'

Like it was better to tediously animate each falling rope manually (point constraints), apply 38 displacement map layers to get fabric 'dynamics', and someone spent days dicking with Maya 'burn' tools but I came up with a procedural erode/burn in a few hours. http://www.box.net/shared/static/bhms42dmfs.mov I dont mind tedium if there is a useful end result. But here the ropes disappeared in the final comp, and the erode/burn holes were almost not used in the comp.

I haven't had to do too much of it, but my wife worked for 3 months hand-rotoing 70 people in a long pullout shot for Memoirs of a Geisha. Every day she wanted to leap out a window. Then the shot was cut from the film.

I know how a group of very talented artists at Frantic Films killed themselves on a nightmare schedule to turn out a dazzling FX sequence for Superman Returns... that was entirely cut from the film. And they are still not allowed to show it to anyone.

The worst is when your tedium is all for nothing.
    "O K, so what's the speed of dark?"

Demo reel 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOOixvRhcs4

3D Technology Strategist Animapper's Avatar
    i was ready to post my colossal CAD conversion of an entire campus as the MOST INSANE undertaking I've ever done, but the Mr. RID and Lewis post reminds me that this is the path we've chosen. You know, it's pretty cool when we pull it off though, huh?

This is why SIGGRAPH is important as a get-together for the overworked!!

Regards,]
    Dean
    Digital Illusionist

But he said it was a...

Quote Originally Posted by toby
    A tv commercial set in a gigantic junkyard. About 20 million polys per shot (divided into 4-5 passes), hundereds of objects to texture (without image maps), and it looked like garbage.
    Yeah, but wasn't it... um, never mind...
    Will Silver
    Animator
    digital TRiP
    "Frak'em all! I USE LIGHTWAVE!"

Laying out nice neat UVs on even vaguely complex models used to be beyond tedious didn't it? I still hate UVs with a passion but the new idiot-proof unwrapping tools in Lightwave/Max/Modo are really a godsend...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Rid
    But here the ropes disappeared in the final comp, and the erode/burn holes were almost not used in the comp.
    Very cool clip. Thanks for sharing.

Well there are a few that are up there:

-------------------------------------------------
    Cleaning HUGE terrain datasets. Some dumb___t at (Insert a VERY large US military contractor), decided that "Oh, well, I am not going to spend ANY time looking for the geotiffs, I'll send the terrain as a mesh on a HDD.".

So I get a HDD with 1300+ 87mb Maya files. Whoever did it, just brought in the most dense shape file from Solidworks and that was it. So I had to go in and manually put all the tiles together in LW and join them. It was a LOT of welding. It was a good thing that each file kept it's location in 3D space, or I would have jumped out the window.

I would like to add Maya didn't help at all, I had to write a script that deleted all the extra node info Maya adds for whatever the reason, otherwise the files would have been un-workable. THANK YOU ALIAS (At the time it was Alias).
    Next would have to be the ever-changing "Final" prototype on some dental hardware by 3M. Making the changes wasn't hard, it was dealing with the a-holes who didn't know what they were talking about.
    Lamont G
    Artist Ubisoft Osaka/大阪

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis
    Optimizing CAD data of a CAR who is having 9.7 milion polygons (all triangles freezed from NURBS) to Lw friendly model. I ended up at 5.4 milion polygons what all needed to be manually welded/merged and then surfaced to 100+ materials. All that wouldn't be a bad/hard thing if it wasn't happening in year 2003 with Slow GFX card (3Dlabs Wildcat VP760 64MB), Modeler 7.0, 1GB of RAM while file of model was 80-90MB with each incremental save. I still feeel my pain from back then (worked for 2 weeks jus ton modeling ). And after all that i had to render it in 5100*3500 resolution witg 1GB machine. I was rendering in 4 pieces (limited region) + 3GB of VMEM and few days of actuall rendering . It turned out pretty nice at end .
    lol. there is a bunch of plugins and scripts out there that can automatically turn tris into quads. i had to do crap like taht befo and that saved me alot of time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast