Thread: Sports Broadcasting Over Lane-Line/Cell Phone

Sports Broadcasting Over Lane-Line/Cell Phone

Ok, here is the deal. Our local tv provider ( Diamond Net out of Sallisaw, Ok) and I go and broadcast all of Sallisaw's High School Football Games. At home, we use fiberoptics that run from the press box to the head in to go live. At away games, we run sound through a lane-line or a cell phone and back to the head in to give live audio of the game. The problem is that back home on the TV the sound is really distored and can barely hear anything at all, but in the press box on our equipment, it sounds great. I don't know what to do. This is how we connect to the phone. We got a phone 1/4" to phone 1/8" to hook up from the headphone jack in the audio mixer to the phone/cell phone. Is there another way that wee could do this that would improve our sound?

What equipment does the cable company have on the receiving end? When they pick up the phone, how does it sound to them before hitting the air?

When we do audiocasts, which is rare, we either go over the internet (at high bandwidth) or over cell with our Remotemix sport. We have a Gentner digital hybrid at the studio end, but I believe they were taken over by another company.

Keep in mind that you may be sending your audio down the cell phone's send and receive, I don't know how cell phone headset inputs are cabled as far as ring/tip. That could cause some distortion.

If you're familiar with radio, you know there are a lot of digital compression devices and frequency expanders available. The AM station that covers our high school games uses a compression device that sounds like CD quality over a standard landline.
    Last edited by Tarheel Cougar; 06-28-2007 at 02:58 PM.

We bought the Remotemix sport, for landline. It made our sound worse. How do you hook up yours?

Quote Originally Posted by oufan_DJ
    We bought the Remotemix sport, for landline. It made our sound worse. How do you hook up yours?
    I think they usually run their mics into a Mackie, then the output into Mic 1 of the Remotemix. It seems like we have to turn the Remotemix volume down to a very low level and amplify it on the receiving end for the best sound. We usually connect straight to the wall jack. Its rare, but where some schools have VOIP connections, we have connected between the handset and phone but it doesn't sound as good.

Seems like for us, the trick was getting the settings right on the receiving end.

Are you using the special cable they provided for cell?

yeah. I will try what you guys do and see if it works. Thanks.

Good luck! I'm usually on the studio end of those remotes so I'm not 100% certain, but I'll ask our talent for advice. I do remember the volume had to be much lower than expected, regardless of what the VU indicated. Also, we had a problem with our mix-minus on the studio end -- we completely disconnected it sending no sound back down the line, and it seemed to improve the sound as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel Cougar
    I think they usually run their mics into a Mackie, then the output into Mic 1 of the Remotemix.
    I think your problem might be right there. It's likely that the output from the Mackie mixer is line-level (+4 dBu) whereas the Remotemix mic input is expecting something much lower (mic level is -50 or -60 dBu). Be sure that you have the mic/line switch on input 1 set to "line," otherwise the audio will likely distort.

As far as a hybrid on the receiving end, I've had very good luck with the "Innkeeper" series from JK Audio (the same people who make the Remotemix). Very simple, very clean, and not particularly expensive.
    Pete Misisco

Chief Engineer
    Fairfax Sports Network
    Fairfax, Virginia

thanks

Pete,
    I know it sounds crazy, but it wasn't a line level issue, we tried that. Even connecting an SM58 directly to our remotemix, we still had to turn the volume way down low to send down the line for the best sound back at the headend. It may have something to do with our hybrid, or our remotemix may not be working right, but the final output down the phone line for us has to be very low.