Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy creature glow effect!

Final Fantasy creature glow effect!

Does anyone know how to get the transparent glow effect the creatures in Final Fantasy were made up of? Its kind of how a jellyfish looks, transparent yet more opaque at the edges and also more opaque where the shape wraps. I tried using the transparent button in the Surface Editor but the whole thing goes transparent at the same time. There needs to be a variable, can anyone help? I'd attach a frame from the film but I don't know how to frame grab!

It's probably an some sort of sss shader with translucency AND transparency with self illumination. The glow can be done with the glow pixel shader. I'd experiment with Sigma to get the rubbery jellyfish look.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

! found the shader, its the fresnel shader. Looks great with high transparency and luminosity. Thanks!

Yeah, that sounds about right, though you may find that you'll need more than just a few nodes. It's up to you.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

You may want to look into incidence angle gradients for this kind of effect too!

dynamics...so much fun ;) prospector's Avatar
    There is a srf texture called Final Fantasy
    kind of a luminesence smokey transparent blue.
    Skype...lost_in_3d_space

Sager
    I7-4800 OC'd to 3.3 GHz
    12G 1600mhz mem
    GTX 765M , 765 cores 1.5 Gig mem
    256 gigs raided SSD drive

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by prospector
    There is a srf texture called Final Fantasy
    kind of a luminesence smokey transparent blue.

Where ?? can i find the surface texture???

Mike
    Intel Core i7-980, OC 4.7ghz water cooled.
    Gigabyte x58-UD3R with an Intell SSD 180GIG
    RamCorsair-DDR3-1600-32GIG
    Nvidia Titan Z, x 2 And 1 GTX-1080 by Gigabyte.
    4xEnterprise/WDVelociRaptorŪ300gig

Just use incident angle gradients to control color, luminosity and transparency.

This effect is pretty easily achievable. One of the most common wallpapers in the known universe that uses this effect (the glowing toadstools) was done with LightWave. You can see them at www.digitalblasphemy.com

http://www.digitalblasphemy.com/fsho...luorescence%20[6]&b=count&z=

That site is one of the things that steered me towards LightWave.

You know what, you can't fade from this transparent fresnel shader to solid in animation. That sucks! I want to go from a semi transparent object using the fresnel shader to solid over time in animation. Can't figure it out. Anyone know?

There should be a envelope button "E" if it has one. That will allow you to animate any surface setting.

Theres no 'E' button in the shader window. I don't think you can animate the properties of a shader. So basically, I can't fade out from the shader effect into a solid surface such as metal. For example, I have a robot coming into a scene, its fresnel shaded, and I want it to become solid (metal) over 4 seconds. Any suggestions?

you can animate shaders in nodal. Do you not have LW9? I would have done all of this in nodal anyway.

How do you do that? Animate in nodal.

Sorry, I meant to say that anything with an envelope 'E' button can be animated in nodal over time. I'll come up with an example later. You'll find you have more control in nodal. It's like taking the small seed that is the classic surface editor and then adding a huge, full blown tree of lighting and shading possibilities. You could animate the different surface attributes in the classic surface editor over time before, but with nodal you can add much more information with real world accuracy for realism. Not only can you animate surfaces within a network of shaders and nodes, emulating SSS, metalics and transparency accuracy should be done in Nodal. Shaders are often too specialized and you will have a rough time making it look the way you may need it to. Shaders are like taking someone elses idea and trying to fit it to your own, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, it's always a 50/50 percent chance it will work for you. So if it's more control you need then nodal is where it's at.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast