Thread: FCPro 6 + NT25 Codec = ...

FCPro 6 + NT25 Codec = ...

Does anyone know if FCPro 6 will play Newtek's AVI codec?

The ad claims it will play virtually any video file -- I'm praying I can stop using SpeedEdit and get back to FCPro if the new version supports NT25.

Anyone?

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Quick answer is no.

There is not a NT25 version for the Mac platform.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Cool Standard AVI Format

Why can't Newtek support writing to a standard DV 25 AVI file format?

That would make things a whole lot simpler for us who choose to edit on other platforms & software.

I have like the Tricaster for switching live, however I end up not using the record feature because of the propriatary Newtek format. I plug the SVideo output into my Sony DSR 20 deck and record to DVCam.

I can then import the DVCam into Final Cut Pro.

:agree:

Quote Originally Posted by DrVideo
    Why can't Newtek support writing to a standard DV 25 AVI file format?

:agree:
    The long and short of it is the original TriCaster 100 did not have the horsepower needed to play and record standard DV .avi's. The NT25 codec was developed to lessen the load on the TC recording to hard drive. The NT25 codec records in 4:2:2 colorspace versus DV .avi's 4:1:1. This carried over into the TC Pro line as well when it was developed. Maybe they could make an update in the future that would address this in both TCs.

It may be just rumor but I heard from a guy that knows a guy that was married to the uncle of a cousin that heard from a little birdie...NewTek is actually on a mission to slowly rid the world of all reasons to use FCP. Now I am just repeating a rumor I heard so don't shoot the messenger.

Seriously though, send your FinalCut compatibility requests to [email protected] the more voices heard the more likely they will be implemented.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams

Quote Originally Posted by CLE
    I'm praying I can stop using SpeedEdit and get back to FCPro if the new version supports NT25.
    Is using SpeedEdit that bad?

I detailed out a way to convert the files from the NT25 codec to DV .avi files using a batch convertor a while back on this board. Do that and you don't have to force yourself to use the world's fastest editor. You can use the world's most overhyped editor instead.

Yes I do enjoy ribbing you Final Cut lovers... It is all in fun though. Don't take it too seriously. These are just tools we are talking about.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams

That made me lol.
    From "we can't compete..." to such a rumor is a great leap of ... insert your own term.

Rumors shared of this nature are exactly why there's such angst amongst the natives: they just haven't panned out to date.

Quote Originally Posted by PIZAZZ
    It may be just rumor but I heard from a guy that knows a guy that was married to the uncle of a cousin that heard from a little birdie...NewTek is actually on a mission to slowly rid the world of all reasons to use FCP. Now I am just repeating a rumor I heard so don't shoot the messenger.

Seriously though, send your FinalCut compatibility requests to [email protected] the more voices heard the more likely they will be implemented.

TC User Group
    NewTek is actually on a mission to slowly rid the world of all reasons to use FCP
    What's so funny? This doesn't seem like a leap, and they seem to be on target, how much slower would you like them to be?.

Ivan

Lets see NewTek has more products now then ever. They are experiencing record sales and growth. Yeah that sounds like they are moving Slowly.

Oh Wait I forgot that you do everything in your power to bash NewTek for some crazy reason. If NewTek Sells more stuff then they have more resources to devout to developing these features that you say you have requested since forever.

How about you go buy a Mac and Leave these board for good.

TC User Group
    Ahh, come on, even they have admitted that the updates are not being delivered as quick as they like.

Ivan

I dont hate Newtek nor love Apple --- it's just that our department uses FCPro. I've now been using SpeedEdit for a few months and still don't feel anywhere as comfortable as I do in FCPro. All I am doing is splicing large amounts of video -- nothing creative at all.

I do find it a bit unreasonable that Newtek didn't develop their codec for FCPro. While the majority of users may be on PCs, there are still a TON of users on FCPro. Why alientate them? Why frustrate them?

I think the shoe may really be on the other foot.

While the majority of studios may be using other switchers, Tricaster is the leading affordable integrated switcher/CG/DDR/Editor/Streamer solution, definitely the market leader, and there are a TON of users on Tricaster. Some of those users want to edit its captured footage files with FCPro, but FCPro which claims to support virtually any file doesn't support them. Why would Apple frustrate them? Why would Apple alienate them?

And it is worth noting, Tricaster will export video as standard DV encoded .avi files which FCP and most serious video apps can read, it's just the files it uses internally, which have more color depth than DV supports, that FCP doesn't yet (and may never) support.
    Last edited by billmi; 06-14-2007 at 09:50 AM.
    Toasting with NewTek since 1991 - Corinthian Media Services
    Riding Quiet on an Electric Ninja.

Cool Licensing Agreements With Apple

[QUOTE=billmi]FCPro which claims to support virtually any file doesn't support them. Why would Apple frustrate them? Why would Apple alienate them?

Apple does support all popular formats from the leading japanese corporations due to licensing agreements from the Big 3: Sony, Panasonic & JVC.

Newtek would have to partner with Apple to allow it's propriatary NT25 codec & SDK to be available for inclusion in the next version of Final Cut Studio.

Any comments from Newtek would be welcome here!

We Make Effective FX! DiscreetFX's Avatar
    @CLE

When we started on Oil Change the movie NewTek products did not support HD. The movie is shot 100% in HD so we were using Final Cut Studio. With the release of SpeedEDIT everything was switched to that editing environment because it was more productive for us and faster. The best tool is in the eye of the beholder or just might be what your used to.
    DiscreetFX Team
    http://www.discreetfx.com
    Making Your Digital Films More Effective!
    DVE's & LiveSets for VT[5], TriCasters & SpeedEDIT 2.