Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Holy Crap! Time to bail

Nocturnal Crouton Flinger JackJ's Avatar
    More like Hitatchi is the former IBM, with the difference that before the buyout, the now rock-solid Hitatchi Deskstar was often referred to as the IBM Deathstar, due to how often it would cook itself and crap out. And while Maxtor is still a separate line, with Seagate at the top, certain design philosophies, business decisions, etc will start to bleed over. But I'm not here for Drive Wars. Just a little equal time for a product I've been impressed with.

"Hell, I'd piss on a spark plug if I thought it would help." - General Beringer
    JackJ

If they haven't got a pony, it isn't a fair.

Yeah, I had 3 Deathstars, well have, SCSI's still working. But this is about how to get SE stabel with Bimbo's Bloatware. Don't fight them. RamDisk did wonders back in the day of the 486. VM/PageFile.sys is a carry over, and no matter how you want to look at it, this is a system resource, period. Redirection would be like praying your OS will work with the i386 folder on a CD. NOT! LOL

GoodLuck Tony
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

Digitizing video since 1984
    HyMPG Designer since 1997
    [email protected]

Actuall. I just directed the VM file to one of the 120GB drives last Friday after I read the BlackViper site. You'll be happy to know that the VM was on the C drive up until then and crashed just as much.

Tony,

Are you running any packet writing software? (The type that allows you to drag and drop files to a CD or DVD?) It used to be that these could cause problems with most video editing software. I don't know for sure if they are still a problem with SE, but I try to avoid them.

fwiw, system builds are as creative as the hardware and OS lets you be. I've gone the route of buying off the rack, so to speak, these last few systems. DVDcomboDL's are my D:'s. Yep, old school, slaving to C:.

I run a project and SaveAs to MyDocuments, 90-120gig file, then encode and burn. Delete the uncompressed, and onto the next project. An encoding program runs from C: and my workflow finds the data to encode on C: then the encode goes to MyDVD, where the burning program that runs from C: finds the file. Oh, I also run an Anti Anti V program called, NONE! LOL

Sure, you can use other drives and .VTP to do this work, I just allow my systems and OS find the data from C:. No one configuration or workflow is better than another, as long as there are no problems or issues with what you are doing.

SPEdit is just a program, and with what it does, requires you the user, to configure a system and SE Prefs so as your configuration and workflow can co-exist with what is only one real issue, the OS. More issues have been created by fighting Bimbo's than letting it do its own configuration.

YM WILL V by believing there is a better way than how Bimbo's wants to work. Vista is just another adventure in M$hafts monopoly, in how we compute and run programs. But with the NEW pc's and QuadCPU's ect.. we are in a wait and see area, as programs fit into 64bit as the only real reason to go Vista. iow, why run Vista32? Nothing but a heartache, imho. When VT/SE/Mirage are ported 64, I will then run Vista64.

Have a nice weekend all!
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

[email protected]

Also, you may want to test your RAM. Bad RAM can cause all kinds of random problems. Go to www.memtest.org and download the testing utility image file and burn it to a CD. Then let the macine boot to the test software, and let it cycle through the test more than once (it will keep going until you stop it.)

Also, you may want to email John Perkins directly with your problem. He is very helpful and will answer your email. jperkins at newtek dot com
    He is in engineering and fixes problems, not just helping people diagnose problems like tech support does, so he will be able help even if tech support has never had any experience with such an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by kleima
    Tony,

Are you running any packet writing software? (The type that allows you to drag and drop files to a CD or DVD?) It used to be that these could cause problems with most video editing software. I don't know for sure if they are still a problem with SE, but I try to avoid them.
    No writing packet software running over here. Although programs are installed, nothing is running at startup or in the background. I try to keep this machine as lean as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by KiloWatkins
    Just read your spec again. If F: is running on the controller, you are creating this mess, I'm sorry to say. VM/PageFile is just how Bimbo's works. Redirecting PageFile to a C: partition or IDE 1 Slave drive is one thing. To redirect PageFile through a controller is a NO NO. VM is a needed FAST system resource, and is why I NEVER redirect, but I know you can. Another Gig of ram would certainly help your system, and with only 500megs of system ram, I have 1.5gig VM/Pagefile's on the freespace of C:.
    OK, so when I get home, I am going to change the VM to the D drive because there is plenty of space available and it is not being used for the wedding video. If the problem still occurs, then we can agree that I never created any "mess" by directing the VM to the drive on the controller. If the problem is solved, I owe you big time. If it still occurs (because I know it will), then your suggestion holds absolutely no water. I hope I am wrong.

Tony

So is your VM/PageFile.sys, now the slave drive to C:? iow, you are not attempting to use a controller drive, correct? My DVD/DL's burn 16x btw.

Everytime I increase the size of C:, letting VM live in C: freespace, my systems seem a bit more peppy. Getting 2gig of mem in your rig will spark performance as well. I see no reason a NORMAL pc user would not find your configuration great. But I know I am not a NORMAL pc user! LOL Are you? Just doing your OS/program transfer to a 120 you have now, setting the 40gig aside to have as a recovery OS, should let you get going with a more stabel SE, imho. And the main reason I use Seagate, is Wal-Mart is the only place I can buy PC parts in NoWhere NewMexKilo! LOL Send me an email and I'll turn on the WME if you want.

BestWishes
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by KiloWatkins
    So is your VM/PageFile.sys, now the slave drive to C:? iow, you are not attempting to use a controller drive, correct?
    What do you mean by "controller drive" in this discussion? All hard drives have to be connected to a hard drive controller, whether it is integrated into the motherboard, installed in an expansion slot, or connected via USB/firewire, there has to be a controller to communicate with the hard drive.
    Toasting with NewTek since 1991 - Corinthian Media Services
    Riding Quiet on an Electric Ninja.

He has a Promise IDE/PCI controller. Pointing VM to any drive there, would not be ideal, imo. He posted 1gig is VM, but he should see more than that, unless he selected custom instead of let windows manage. He has a SATA DVD-RW, so that is pretty cool, to free an IDE connection.

But VM/PageFile.sys is an OS resource, needing to interface with program, graphics, and system ram. So it/VM should be in a configuration for fastest R/W access as possible. 4gb chunks of VM are what are written(hidden), afaik, but does not mean there can not be more than 1 chunk per program, well that is my thinking. The reason I feel you can have more than one VM area per program is, with 5 hours on the timeline, you can select on the end and play the timeline. Without a VM area being written, I can not see how it could know what to play.

Wish I had your Avatar background outside my window! LOL
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

[email protected]

To be clear, you are using 80ribbon cabels and in DMA mode on your drives? This is where you find performance and some older 40gig drives are not able to get UDMA performance from their 40pin header design. I don't use SATA as system drives, these last few off the rack boxes came with them, and cloning OS/Programs, you don't need to re-registar the OS or any software keys, busted loose in performance with VM on C: and IDE system drives.

By at least directing VM to the same ribbon, less searching for VM data is the issue. Going to the PCI buss and controller for OS resources, then back again is the bogg down, where the Program speed is ~ 2-2.4gHz, well I don't think you are getting VM speed near that from a PCI controller drive.

Where is Richard B. when I need him? LOL He is one tuned up GURU I hope to meet one day.

If the problem still occurs, then we can agree that I never created any "mess" by directing the VM to the drive on the controller. Tony
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Tony R
    No writing packet software running over here. Although programs are installed, nothing is running at startup or in the background. I try to keep this machine as lean as possible.
    Packet writing software, as odious as it is, doesn't generally cause a crash.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Hehe, no doubt, Steve.

SE is just finnicky for whatever reasons. On my first run of it, the GM version, it crashed on the first use. And a few times after that. It just made me laugh. It made me sad, too.

You may never find out why it behaves the way it does, Tony. I'm reading here hoping to find the thing that causes me not to want to do the voodoo dance when using SE. Maybe the patch, with its vst plugs et al, will be the fix we need.

Edit:
    Always interesting to see others sitting in on a thread. Seems others are hoping for the same....

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast