Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Holy Crap! Time to bail

Nocturnal Crouton Flinger JackJ's Avatar
    Bill Cox? Naw, not that motherscratcher! Bill Parker!! Anyway, we're approachin' the deadline, and there's this spherical n0mber in the file size... and it don't look like part of the undo/redo stack...
    JackJ

If they haven't got a pony, it isn't a fair.

Spherical, yet pointy in parts....kinda like Sputnik
    Mick Haensler
    Director of Media Services
    The Fountains Wedding and Conference Center

Hasnt anyone at Newtek been in contact? Thats their gig helping?
    Did you save crash stacks. Maybe its a codec SE cant digest and is making
    it ill. Never know.
    Those are my 2 thoughts. One day works one day not seems like an
    awefully odd symptom. Another suggestion do a full blown Ram Test.
    If that doesnt do it.. NVidia drivers? Maybe the video card.
    Thats all I got in my head.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by KiloWatkins
    My appologies to Tony. I just do not think it is needed, to bash the software instead of looking at the system or se configurations.

A bad file in a filebin or AddMedia will crash as described. SE/VT do not crash. So Tony, have you taken a look at things you may be doing to create your own problems? Others have been asking, but I do not read replies.
    I was getting errors when all I had in the filebin were just pngs. I really do not think this is the problem

So... What is the size of your system drive, and is it partitioned?
    40GB. No partitions

Where are you sending SE cache?
    Cache is the 300GB SATA Video Drive

Is this a Laptop or desktop?
    Desktop

What are the resources?
    Biostar P4M80-M7 Motherboard
    Intel P4 3.0Ghz CPU
    1GB DDR 400
    Chaintech G-Force FX 5500 (driver 6.14.10.9371)
    C: (system) Drive maxtor 40GB (20GB free)
    D: WD 80GB Drive (Digital Juice, audio clips)
    E: 120GB WD Drive (storage drive)
    F: 120GB WD Drive (storage drive #2)
    S: 300 GB SATA video Drive (260GB free)
    Sony DVD-RW 16x Dual Layer drive
    IEEE 1394 card
    Promise IDE controller
    PageFile is 1000MB on the F drive (not being used for anything else at this time).

Did you do what Cholo asked?
    If you are referring to nvidia desktop, it is completely disabled and not running

Is this machine on the www?
    Only when I post my problems here

If not, did you run>services.msc?
    For what? Stop networking? I do use the internet for times like this but not for general browsing

What is loading on startup by the clock?
    Not one single program. I also stopped many of the services that were running per BlackViper's site, which I went to by, I think, your suggestion.

Have you ran Anti Viruse to be certain you are clean?
    I have AVG Free Antivirus (I hate the overheard that Norton uses) It is clean and I do not have it running until I do a scan because I do not go on the internet.

My issue is negative remarks concerning a 1.0 release of a program we have wanted for 6-7 years. I'm running SE less then VT, scaling old Mpeg1's and VCD's to replace those old templetes.

Could you tell us how old your machine is, as the older it is, the more rendering you MUST do, and can not expect realtime from a > 3 year old system.
    I built this last summer 2006 for use with Premiere Pro, Photoshop and Encore (basically, I used it for projects that were not worthy of my rubust VT4.5 system.

Your posting just hit a nerve for me, claiming and blaming SE, without any real data to prove it was an SE issue.
    I do not know how to prove that all of my problems are SE issues other than the fact that no other program has crashed nor has Windows XP crashed since I built the system.

My offer still stands if your in the US and want a phone call. I've been building for 20+ years, but do not know it all, and will post if it is my mistake.
    I appreciate your offer. I am not claiming that I know more than you do. I just cannot imagine you telling me to try anything that I havent yet. I may take you up on your offer. Just so you know, I dotn just come here and rant. I did call newtek in jan or Feb and they told me thye did not know what caused SE to disappear. They told me to change the video card and that is when I installed the FX5500. It ran good for a couple of weeks and then started disappearing again and giving me other error messages.

I have not changed the vga card since because I am not convinced it is the card. Why would SE run fine for a day and then start disappearing or giving me undo/redo stack errors? I do not see the logic in it that the vga card is causing that to happen. If you see something obvious in my configuration that I am missing, please point it out to me. I know you are going to say I should have 100GB free on the C drive, but I dont need that and most do not have it set up that way and their systems are running fine.

GoodLuck
    Thanks. I'll certainly need it.
    Last edited by Tony R; 06-07-2007 at 09:11 PM.

Las Vegas Toaster
    One thing that I did find that will cause SE to crash on me is if I have a off the wall file type in a folder that I look in. The file in my case was a *.prn file that I use for my DVD duplicator
    Brett Beanan

It has been my experience(first hand) that some machines will not run some software for no apparent reason. I have such a machine. My VT system is a top of the line dealer built VT running 4.6 and has never performed the way it should. I have had the dealer come to my site, I have sent it to the dealer for repairs and yes, for a period of time it seems to be fine and then.....

I finally decided to live with the shortcomings as long as it doesn't interfere to much with my workflow. Needless to say I'm pretty consistent with Ctrl+S.
    I hate bringing forth an Undo Redo stack if I can help it. My point is, acknowledge and move on. If SE isn't working for you than find something else that does. It is that simple. Life is to short to get all worked up and get others worked up over a situation beyond your control.

I do know your issue is either a software or a hardware issue(sorry for the obvious). I have suggested in a previous post that the actual piece of software(not SE in general) might be buggy. This seems and I emphasize seems to have fallen on deaf ears. The only way you will know for certain is to get NT to send you a new disc, uninstall the previous completely, install the new, and try to duplicate the problem. Then, install the new SE on a different system and try to duplicate the problem. If the issue persists in both places than I'd say the problem is with SE. If it doesn't than I would have to conclude that the problem is with your hardware or another nonrelated piece of software. To me, this is the only way you will know for certain. Either way....acknowledge and move on.
    Mick Haensler
    Director of Media Services
    The Fountains Wedding and Conference Center

Just Tryin' To Help...
    Quote Originally Posted by bbeanan
    One thing that I did find that will cause SE to crash on me is if I have a off the wall file type in a folder that I look in. The file in my case was a *.prn file that I use for my DVD duplicator
    A few year's ago I had the same problem with the "pspbrwse.jbf" files that Paint Shop Pro creates for it's thumbnail browser. Took forever for me to isolate that as the problem, but once I did Andrew did something that convinced VT not to crash when it found them in the FileBin. You might try submitting it as a bug.
    SB Enterprises, Quincy, Illinois ~ in the backwoods of the US of A

Quote Originally Posted by Tony R
    They told me to change the video card and that is when I installed the FX5500. It ran good for a couple of weeks and then started disappearing again and giving me other error messages.

I have not changed the vga card since because I am not convinced it is the card. Why would SE run fine for a day and then start disappearing or giving me undo/redo stack errors?
    This may sound kind of wacky, but it sounds like you're at the point that you'd try ritual animal sacrifice if it had a chance of helping...

What temperature is the air that is being drawn into your machine?

When I built my current dual Xeon box, I was getting crashes in VT[4] when rendering out AVIs. But they were weird, because they weren't consistent. Sometimes a project woudl render fine, sometimes it wouldn't. The system wasn't overheated, and there were no indications of CPU performance problems. But, it was warming up its corner of the room quite nicely. My wife suggested adding a window air conditioner to our, simply for comfort due to the heat that half a dozen CPUs are cranking out in one room. When the air conditioner went in, the random crash-on-render problem went away completely.

I tried running some days without the AC, and it came right back. If it sucks in air in the 80 degree range the crashes happen on render. If it sucks in air in the low 70s they don't. I suspect maybe a ram heat issue affecting timing of the ram, in a way that other programs could cope with, but for some reason VT Edit could not (like if for some reason they could wait an extra cycle to get the data, but VT Edit couldn't.)

Anyhow, something to think on.
    Toasting with NewTek since 1991 - Corinthian Media Services
    Riding Quiet on an Electric Ninja.

I've got to go out, but your major problem in C:FreeSpace for VM/Pagefile. I would go and get as big a hard drive you could afford, or use that 2nd 120 WD. Goto WD and download the clone and copy software, that will copy the OS/Programs from you C: if you don't want to spend any money.

Point SE Prefs Cache to one of your storage drives. It sounds like your reading and writing to the video array.

I have made/converted to a sequence and had a BAD .PNG file befor.

I was not going to post it but might as well. Maxtor drives are on the bottom shelf, right befor the dumpster. Since you are mostly WD, stick with them. Or if you are a skillfull builder, get a 200+gig SeaGate dive in C: asap. It will come with SeaTools disk, to copy your Maxtor OS/Programs.

You can let taskmanager run, load up your project, and watch what it is doing. The program alone will give you a clue, then add your project.

You could point VM to your other drive that has a big freespace, then send SE Prefs Cache to a Temp folder on C:. But I just live in a world of keeping over 100gig's at all times of freespace on C: and run SE, LW and Mirage at the same time.

Someone here pointed me to BlackViper's page, but anything you did was your own to evaluate if it could help. Now I know why you have had such problems(Maxtor). Just because AVG is not running does not mean you do not need to tell that program to allow xyz.ext's, btw. Many users running SE do not run V-scan programs on their home systems, but the wifi Laptop users would, afaik
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

Digitizing video since 1984
    HyMPG Designer since 1997
    [email protected]

I think Hard Drive opinions vary. I find that most of the computers that come into my shop with dead hard drive are made by Western Digital, so, I am pretty much dead set against them, though I do have a few. I have built hundreds of machines with Maxtor drives and I only got one back ever where the drive died. I dont think any one manufacturer is better than the other. I get dead drives brought to me by every manufacturer. Maxtor is gone now and it is all Seagate. I have had quite a few crashes on Barracuda drives myself, so I am not thrilled with Seagate. The Cheetahs are great though. Again, ask 5 people what drive not to buy and I am sure that you will get 4 or 5 different answers.

I know how to clone, I do it all the time using Ghost. As for getting the largest drive I can afford, I can get a 750GB drive but I do not find any reason to do so. I have always kept my system drive small. It only has Windows and Programs. 20GB free space should be fine, especially when SE's cache and WIndows VM are pointed at other drives.

As you suggested, I will change the SE cache drive to one of the storage drives

My VM is already pointed to one of the two 120GB storage drives

AVG was just installed recently. The crashes and odd disapearing act all happened when there was no AV on the machine. It was the SE crashes that made me install it. So, AV has\had nothing to do with the problem.

So, the only change I will make from your suggestions is to point SE cache to another large drive, not the video drive. If it still crashes, I will Ghost C:.

I'll keep you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by billmi
    This may sound kind of wacky, but it sounds like you're at the point that you'd try ritual animal sacrifice if it had a chance of helping...

What temperature is the air that is being drawn into your machine?

Anyhow, something to think on.
    Thanks for the suggestion but I am in a basement on Long Island with a de-humidfier running all the time. I HATE warm weather and I am completey comfortable in my basement so far this year. That means the temperature is under 70 degress, more mid 60s. Actually, my problems began in Feb, dead of winter, 20 degrees outside and about 60 degrees inside MAX. I do not use heat. I love cold weather. So, room temperature is not a factor for. Actually, I removed my AC that was in the editing room a few years ago. It isnt warm down there. I have plenty of trees around my house and no direct sunlight comes into the room.

Thanks anyway.

Tony

Just read your spec again. If F: is running on the controller, you are creating this mess, I'm sorry to say. VM/PageFile is just how Bimbo's works. Redirecting PageFile to a C: partition or IDE 1 Slave drive is one thing. To redirect PageFile through a controller is a NO NO. VM is a needed FAST system resource, and is why I NEVER redirect, but I know you can. Another Gig of ram would certainly help your system, and with only 500megs of system ram, I have 1.5gig VM/Pagefile's on the freespace of C:.
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

[email protected]

Nocturnal Crouton Flinger JackJ's Avatar
    Well, Kilo, technically, Maxtor drives ARE Seagate drives now (they got bought out). Everybody has their own experiences, but I've had WAY better luck with Maxtors than any of the other major brands (barring Hitatchi's, which have also been great), and back in the PATA days, the added bonus of the 133 over other drives 100 was nice. Haven't had much experience since the buyout, and the shift to RoHS, but historically they've always given me tremendous bang for the buck.

Back to Tony's problems, one other little thing I've run into in the past is some weird handling of symbols in the filenames. I don't use anything but the underscore, (and never as the first character in the name, of course.) I brought in some .jpgs from the internet that had all kinds of trash in the names (notably the % sign), and would get lockups any time I opened the folder they were in.

But billmi's right. For totally intermittent, work fine once and crash the next type problems, heat and voltage would be the first things I'd look at.
    JackJ

If they haven't got a pony, it isn't a fair.

FYI Tony,

My VT/SE1.0 system lives very well on a 250GB Seagate C: and freespace is VM/PageFile.sys. I use Aura Mirage DDR's and S from standalone SE system as channels for BobFX 3rd Chnl. and switch, all without an SX84. I monitor on a Y/C Plus 20" SD and 16:9 WideSreen PC recorder. My VT has been in 16:9 mode for over a year.

fwiw
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

[email protected]

Jack, Seagate bought Maxtor manufacturing, not the product. IBM is Hitachi, afaik.

Folks just stick with what they buy that works for them. Mixing WD and Seagate can get sticky to say the least, and I've had to put the WD on the other IDE chain to get an OS to copy befor.

But I would never send an OS system resource through a controller, which is what I think Tony is doing. Hey if it works great, if there is a problem, don't fight Bimbo's for heavens sake. They own it, let it work like they want it, has worked for me.

YMMV
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

[email protected]

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast