Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Full HD In SpeedEdit

Quote Originally Posted by Bobt
    > That was exactly my point. You cant get more than on stream from that pipe.
    A single stream is fairly easy, 2 hovering around the fringes of 'inexpensive' solutions ... hence the value of background rendering, which makes this quite actually feasible since you're really only looking at a single stream (if that's what your bandwidth can basically handle comfortably.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobt
    But even more important is the color pipeline.
    I'd love to see end-to-end full float too, Bob ... I'd also like a big sailboat. But this wasn't really part of the original query.

Honestly, HDR colour depth for the masses isn't just around the corner yet. After all the hullaballoo in the last 4-5 years, even HD is still in the later throes of adoption. And colour depth is far from just being a Speed Edit issue: we're talking about the whole pipeline, starting from the backside of the glass. Realistically, I'm not too worried about that at the moment. Maybe by the time I can afford a cheap Chinese RED knock-off, SE will be full floating point and single drives will be able to handle the bandwidth.

I'm just trying to deal with the original question - which was basically, can we handle uncompressed 1080. Given a pretty good array, sure we can.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

CreatvGnius
    Quote Originally Posted by ted
    No trouble, in fact it's better then letting rumors like this continue.

Well, I'm getting really slow performance on my whimpy gateway laptop and not so good performance on my current 4+ year old VT machines.
    But today I just ordered a more current technology machine. I fully expect to get several layers of real time performance with that.
    So, Ted -- What are you looking at -- a new desktop machine? What are its make/model and specs? Inquiring minds wanna' know!

Quote Originally Posted by CreatvGnius
    So, Ted -- What are you looking at -- a new desktop machine? What are its make/model and specs? Inquiring minds wanna' know!
    To keep this on topic, look here.
    http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69123
    Please feel free to comment on anything about it.
    It's going to be fun to work with.
    Ted R. Ruiz Sr.
    Ad-Venture Video Productions
    Elite NewTek Dealer
    www.editbay.tv
    TriCasters, Most All Models
    Cameras-Mostly HVX 200's

Nocturnal Crouton Flinger JackJ's Avatar
    Maz,
    One thing you might be running into if you're getting slower raid speeds is the spin difference between the inside and outside of the platters. Sata is great for large drives for low dollars (compared to scsi), not quite as great at sustained throughput, and seems to feel the platter difference a little more. If your drives are currently much fuller than they were a few years ago, it can really bring your speeds down.

I believe Medea (and possibly some other makers of external raids) has a system that alternates whether the drive is writing from the outside in or the inside out, resulting in a lower top speed than you might get otherwise, but keeping the speeds more or less constant no matter how full the drives get. Naturally fragmentation can be a factor too.

Incidentally, does anyone know if there are any internal raid controller cards (or even motherboard raids) that use this method?
    JackJ

If they haven't got a pony, it isn't a fair.

raid!!!

Medea driver do alternate the drives in the array to write in on half the drives and out on the others.
    this is due to a custom bios in the drives.

No controller that I know about does anything even close to that.
    Pete
    ( I once did some beta testing for the company)
    Pete Draves
    CV Productions
    Oak Creek, WI
    [email protected]

raid!!!

Medea drives do alternate the drives in the array to write in on half the drives and out on the others.
    this is due to a custom bios in the drives.

No controller that I know about does anything even close to that.
    Pete
    ( I once did some beta testing for the company)

sorry double post
    Pete Draves
    CV Productions
    Oak Creek, WI
    [email protected]

Isn't there some way you could just 'reverse the polarity' on half of your drives yourself? It always worked for Batman...
    JackJ

Once temporal fatigue starts to degrade the dilithium crystals, stress fractures appear in the dimensional phase matrices ... that's the beginning of the end. Alternating polarity under these circumstances can be very risky (especially in the vicinity of black holes!)

Howzat for a mixed metaphorical depature?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Hmm. Sure, but that means its just the opposite in Bizarro World, right? So it's cool. I'm gonna try and mount some drives upside down in the case anyway. Or maybe just try to shove the fat blade of the polarized power plug into the skinny slot. Sure, the tag says "do not attempt to defeat this 'safety' feature", but where's the fun in that? I'll let you know how it works if I live.
    JackJ

drives

We use gadolinium here (contrast agent for MRI) it is at least magnetic.
    Turning the drives upsidedown sometimes works. Yes remember that only the 12 volts should be reversed.
    Pete
    Pete Draves
    CV Productions
    Oak Creek, WI
    [email protected]

It's pretty plain to see who pops in here now and again for relief from the workday tedium ...
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Slow Drives, Fast Thinking

Hi Guys,

Sorry I’ve been away for a day and by the look of it I missed all the fun!

It is always the same, when I am around we talk business, as soon as I move away, everybody is playing!

Jokes apart, it is nice to see a group of jolly good mad scientists who can play around when the time is right but can do things very seriously when it comes to it.

By the way, being Italian, it is educational anyway from the humor and joke’s point of view which always varies from one continent to another.

On that note allow me to convey my personal original solution for the Hard Disk platters problem.

In all my touring I’ve often been to a wonderful country called Ireland where, although things appear normal from the outside, at closer examination most simple daily tasks are performed backwards. (No offense taken, I love the guys to bits.) So there is a chance that if we buy Irish-made hard drives they might do just what we’re looking for without risking a free perm or turn our hair into a gelled-looking mop by electrocuting ourselves.

JackJ, thanks for your input. :agree: I agree and I am aware of the speed differential in filled-up drives but to be honest with you this machine is fairly new and so am I to it!

I think I need to test hardware against software Raid performance as I just realized that my Sata array was striped by Windows and not by the Raid controller BIOS.

I guess the reason for that being that when I installed the VT4 hardware/software I literally followed the manual instructions related to striping HD.
    I will purchase a couple of spare drives and run a back-to-back test and probably discover the hardware Raid controller to improve matters.

Having said so, I am perfectly aware of the fact that when I will have the need for full-speed (many layers of uncompressed) an external SCSI Raid will serve the purpose.

God bless you all, have a nice weekend.
    Don’t pour that beer on the keyboard!!

Maz

Quote Originally Posted by logic28
    I will purchase a couple of spare drives and run a back-to-back test and probably discover the hardware Raid controller to improve matters.
    Actually, I think you will discover the reverse. The general experience here obver the years has been that hdwe. raids are generally designed for reliable redundancy - not speed. Usually they test lower.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

And if you can train your computer to go from using ones and zeroes to using just the zeroes, you can fit an infinite amount of nothing on a single drive! Hmm...sounds like I really need to get over to Ireland. Performing all my simple daily tasks forwards is starting to get monotonous. Still no snakes? Or did they start importing some?
    JackJ

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123