Thread: DV capture contains no audio

DV capture contains no audio

On two seperate machines with two different tapes and two different cameras, SE captures DV footage but when I import it into a timeline there is no audio (audio track is displayed as a constant flat line). The audio meters are even moving when I capture. I'll call it my dunce cap. Any ideas?

Just Tryin' To Help...
    Are you giving SE a chance to "conform" the audio (create the waveform and peak level files it needs)? If the clips are large it can take awhile. This only needs to happen the first time you bring a clip into a project, as long as those files aren't later deleted.
    SB Enterprises, Quincy, Illinois ~ in the backwoods of the US of A

Yeah, I am sure it conformed. I usually get the ----- when conforming, but this is a solid flat line.
    The audio being imported is low, but does show up on the capture panel meters. When I finish importing and drop it in a timeline the audio is displayed as a flatline. The footage imports into Premiere Pro with audio...so I have a work around but for simplicities sake I would rather not open Adobe.

Andrew Carlson
    Same here. Any solutions to this problem?

I am getting almost the same problem.When capturing the meters move. When I play back the captured avi file I do not hear sound playing back. I see audio on the timeline and I can hear the audio as I scrub thru the footage. But, there is no audio when I play the clip back. When I put the same clip in VT5.3 I see a flat line in audio and hear nothing. If I record the same clip using VT5.3 the audio plays back in both VT5.3 and plays back normally in SpeedEdit2. There must be something wrong.
    Dispite popular belief, Digital does not mean quality.

same here

I had that problem on anything I captured over one hour. I never got a reply in the forums. Glad to see now, its not a one time issue.
    I was able to rerender at a different rate and keep the same bit settings and it was a wrok around for me, some worked out others did not. Almost all the stuff I had in at one time did that flatline thing in the audio and it was not playing back.
    Last edited by Tod Cole; 04-17-2010 at 02:24 PM.

Question Anyone Bugged This?

Woah. OK, who has submitted a bug report for this?

Q1

I gave up on submitting bug rerports. If NewTek is not smart enugh to see the stupidest programming errors and they won't let you talk to a tech rep about desigtn errors and they don't even pretest and debug their software then they obviously don't need new customers. Because putting out working software is how normal companies stay in business. NewTek used to follow those rules.
    Dispite popular belief, Digital does not mean quality.

Consultant
    SteveQ, you 'sound' frustrated. Oddly enough, you'll see my numerous complaints about firewire implementation across the NewTek product line, but I've not experienced this one. I have experienced exactly the opposite though - not being able to print to video and be able to hear sound.

Q1, NewTek is aware of the firewire complaints. It's been entered into Fogbugz, it's been brought up with tech support, it's been discussed ad naseum in the forums.

NewTek software uses msdv.sys, which seems to work fine on it's own, but for some reason does not work well with certain firewire devices. I don't know why and neither does NewTek (or at least they're not telling).

Like the poster says above, other editors seem to work okay.

I don't know what to tell you other than what you already know.... You have options.
    Sandy Audio Visual LLC
    NewTek Certification Testing Center
    Twitter @DCTriCaster

TriCaster: All Models
    Cameras: Sony HDC-P1, X300

My opinion, uncensored. The blog at www.sandyaudiovisual.com.

What might help is for everyone that is having the firewire problem list your motherboard make and model or your firewire card make and model. This information may show a pattern for NewTek to follow in fixing the bug.
    Dynamic Video Productions
    Mount Laurel NJ

Consultant
    Animlab has a similar idea of making a compatibility list. Not a bad idea, but I think NewTek knows this is a perennial problem.

For example, I've tried it on an off-the-shelf Dell, HP amd Compaq desktop, and a variety of laptops. I've also tried it with systems I've built myself. Same result. I believe the issue lies with the software and how msdv.sys interacts with NewTek's tie-in to it, and certain consumer, prosumer, and professional cameras and decks. Therefore identifying motherboards will likely be of little value.

With many workflows going tapeless, and the relative niche market of SE, it might not make any business sense for NewTek to fix.

I've accepted this and have decided to use a different product for my editing needs.
    Sandy Audio Visual LLC
    NewTek Certification Testing Center
    Twitter @DCTriCaster

TriCaster: All Models
    Cameras: Sony HDC-P1, X300

My opinion, uncensored. The blog at www.sandyaudiovisual.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmarq View Post
    On two seperate machines with two different tapes and two different cameras, SE captures DV footage but when I import it into a timeline there is no audio (audio track is displayed as a constant flat line). The audio meters are even moving when I capture. I'll call it my dunce cap. Any ideas?
    Well-intentioned to be sure, unfortunately, Rmarq left out some very critical detail. Namely, which SpeedEDIT version is in use and what are the Camcorder/deck make and model numbers associated with his SpeedEDIT Firewire capture anomaly?

Else, how can NewTek and we end-users see how his trouble fits the pattern of those with, say, some reported Panasonic Pro decks and cam gear in particular - not to mention a MiniDV JVC consumer cam I once encountered, providing video but no audio?

Note: I bugged that but the case is still open.

And has he filed a bug report with critical details which include also, his PC setup?

Cost considerations and other priorities aside -- NewTek will be limited in their ability to efficiently respond with an effectual fix if we continue in this vein of providing scant information, gang.

Q1
    Last edited by Quiet1onTheSet; 04-26-2010 at 02:56 AM.