Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Update please?!?!?!

I should update my Avatar Verlon's Avatar
    That is so often the case. People are always looking to build the cheapest system they can. They may want the latest CPU, GFX card, and all, but they still (naturally) want to save money. Oftimes there is a diffence between the component they saved on and the pricier one sitting next to it....its just not one of the settings listed on the box. I am not saying buy the most expensive everything, but sometimes you can get a curve ball you didn't expect.

And then all the other programs running under windows by default....I wish there was a Windows: Streamlined version that focused more on being just an OS. Then again, I like some of the new features too. Guess you have to take the bad and the good together.
    Verlon Smith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4i3XnbEKBw&feature=plcp - shameless prommotion for my daughter's horror (by 4 year old standards) story.

Amen to that!

Yes - I would LOVE to have a bloat-free O.S. Someone posted this not long ago - http://www.blackviper.com/ - but I have not had time to go thru it in detail yet. Looks like it might be pretty darn helpful....

Stephen Self
    www.n-ventivetv.com

sand is irritating but a beach is cool.....

Newbie Member
    Application stability is a big issue, but I found SpeedEdit to be reasonably stable. For being a version 1, actually it's very stable. I've turned out a couple of projects now, and crashes were rare, and usually repeatable. There is no underlying instability in SpeedEdit, just some software kinks that I'm sure are being fixed as we speak.

After using SpeedEdit for a few weeks, I launched both Vegas 7 and Adobe Premier. It wasn't long before I got both applications to crash with a bit of torture testing (animating 9 HDV streams, over gigabit ethernet, plus filters). SpeedEdit in fact was the only application that didn't crash at some point during this exercise.

SpeedEdit really protects you with the undo/redo stack, just in case. Sometimes I want to be frustrated by SpeedEdit, but I think that's just a side effect of wanting the software to be perfect, since it is so damn good.

In the end I've found myself working with SpeedEdit, Vegas 7, and After Effects. That's a powerful combo. SpeedEdit is no more or less reliable.

I agree with many of the posters on this thread, Hardware + OS configuration are very important, and knowing how to configure your workstation will have benefits for all applications.
    [url]www.imagicdigital.com[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by imagic
    SpeedEdit really protects you with the undo/redo stack, just in case.
    Not in my case, when SE would close without warning and when I went to the undo stack, the last few undos had a file size of 0, rendering them useless. I have no idea (nor does Newtek) why that happened to me occasionally. I have all but given up on SE, which is why I do not even bother to post here anymore. I simply do not use it. I do not like to get frustrated and spend the better time of my day fighting SE when I can use Vegas or PP without them performing disappearing acts on my at any given moment.

But, the undo/redo stack is very valuable, when it works.

Tony

Glad it is cranking, and you might beable to use some of those Prefs ( rollovers) now if you like that feature. I love the 1394 Preview patch, through the VT and out to a recorder on the server. I have 0% latency across all 3 PC's and am sorry I can't get most any nVidia problems from my ATI PCIe cards or AGP server card. I DVI out of the server, then switch the HDTV VT/SE monitor to DVI instead of VGA. I need a DVI switch box, but BobFFX is first.

GoodLuck

This thing runs now like the proverbial scalded dawg,
    and is very, very solid. It's only been a few days since the change, but already the workflow here is starting to shift. As I said before -- all our problems were system related, SE is a very clean package. Hats off to Newtek...

Stephen Self
    StillFigurngItOut
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

Digitizing video since 1984
    HyMPG Designer since 1997
    [email protected]

I can't imagine that anyone is saying that an update wouldn't be worthy.

The conversation ought not be taboo. All software is incomplete because of the avarice of its user, at the least; the programmer at the most. Even the SDK speaks to it. To want an update is to want what's coming. It is not a call to challenge someones machine, their setup, etc.

An update will be great. Information to what's to come would be good. Arguing that an update is unnecessary ... not worthy of us.

I'm looking forward to it. I'm using what I have. I'm looking forward to the update.

CreatvGnius

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by UnCommonGrafx
    I can't imagine that anyone is saying that an update wouldn't be worthy.

The conversation ought not be taboo. I'm looking forward to the update.
    Greetings, Robert! I have had nothing but high regard for your poise and your demeanor, as I don't recall your ever deliberately challenging/misjudging the meaning of anyone's posts.

Yet, in this thread, it would appear you might have at the very least, miscalculated/misinterpreted the intent of some, as all that was meant by some of our posts, is that a user or two might fare well by focusing his/her attention to the probable positive outcome for SpeedEDIT via a few system tweaks -- and perhaps most especially in the area of his/her current graphics drivers -- rather than to think that an upgrade will resolve his/her particular problem.

No one in this useful and somewhat stimulating thread has suggested -- or even inferred, my friend, that an update to SpeedEDIT would not be a worthy thing.

Like yourself, most every one of us would welcome the arrival of a SpeedEDIT upgrade, deeming it not only a nice thing -- but very much worthy of any inclination to immediately snatch it out of its celluloid cacoon while lunging for the system's optical drive, so as to affect an immediate install!

CreatvGnius

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Tony R
    Not in my case, when SE would close without warning and when I went to the undo stack, the last few undos had a file size of 0, rendering them useless. I have no idea (nor does Newtek) why that happened to me occasionally.
    Tony
    Hi, Tony! I can't help but wonder if the drive(s) affected by the undo stack is in serious need of a defragging operation.

Also, I would really be grateful if you provided some info relative to your system specs. I happen to be an avid user of that premiere app known as "Vegas", in tandem with NewTek's products, and would hope there is yet hope for your situation, relative to your SpeedEDIT investment.

Quote Originally Posted by CreatvGnius
    Hi, Tony! I can't help but wonder if the drive(s) affected by the undo stack is in serious need of a defragging operation.
    The drive was not fragmented at all, so that wasnt it. I am using a P4 3.0, 1GB DDR, GeForce 5500FX, plenty of sata drives (not raid).

My problems were occuring by doing a fairly simple wedding recap. 2:45 minutes long. Mostly stills (panned and scanned) and some slo mo clips (which looked so terrible that I had to render them out and bring them into Vegas to slo them down). Many times, SE would simply disappear without warning or errors. Sometimes, there would be a undo/redo stack error. Either way, whenever I opened the undo/ redo version of the project, the last few undos are gone. I did change my video card early on to the FX5500 and everything worked great for a couple of weeks and then all of a sudden, without any changes to the system, BOOM! Disappearing randomly, enough to make me stop using SE (more because of the hideous Slo Mo). I havent touched it in a few weeks and do not know if I will again.

BTW, I originally installed SE on my T4 system (Dual Xeon 3.4, 4GB DDR2, 4x73GB Seagate Cheetah SCSI drives, pci-x video card (I forget which one, etc. SE crashed endlessly on that machine. I couldnt get through an hour without it disappearing on me. I had to call Newtek to tell them that I had to install it on another machine to be able to use it. So I did. And it didnt help much. I do know that the video cards were different (one AGP, one PCI-x, different models (both nvidia chipsets, though) and Newtek was insisting it was the video card even though there were two distinctly different cards in each machine. They had no idea why SE would disappear on both machines. I gave up the fight and switched to Vegas so I can actually get some work done. SE doesnt like me.

Tony

Tony
    Last edited by Paul Lara; 05-29-2007 at 11:19 AM.

CreatvGnius

Question

[QUOTE=Tony R]
    Hi, Tony! I can't help but wonder if the drive(s) affected by the undo stack is in serious need of a defragging operation.QUOTE]

The drive was not fragmented at all, so that wasnt it. I am using a P4 3.0, 1GB DDR, GeForce 5500FX, plenty of sata drives (not raid).

My problems were occuring by doing a fairly simple wedding recap. 2:45 minutes long. Mostly stills (panned and scanned) and some slo mo clips (which looked so terrible that I had to render them out and bring them into Vegas to slo them down). Many times, SE would simply disappear without warning or errors. Sometimes, there would be a undo/redo stack error. Either way, whenever I opened the undo/ redo version of the project, the last few undos are gone. I did change my video card early on to the FX5500 and everything worked great for a couple of weeks and then all of a sudden, without any changes to the system, BOOM! Disappearing randomly, enough to make me stop using SE (more because of the hideous Slo Mo). I havent touched it in a few weeks and do not know if I will again.

BTW, I originally installed SE on my T4 system (Dual Xeon 3.4, 4GB DDR2, 4x73GB Seagate Cheetah SCSI drives, pci-x video card (I forget which one, etc. SE crashed endlessly on that machine. I couldnt get through an hour without it disappearing on me. I had to call Newtek to tell them that I had to install it on another machine to be able to use it. So I did. And it didnt help much. I do know that the video cards were different (one AGP, one PCI-x, different models (both nvidia chipsets, though) and Newtek was insisting it was the video card even though there were two distinctly different cards in each machine. They had no idea why SE would disappear on both machines. I gave up the fight and switched to Vegas so I can actually get some work done. SE doesnt like me.

Tony
    [OK, I *was* on my way to bed, but I'll offer a *bit* of a response for now, but here do I *start*?]

Tony -- thanks for taking the time to REPLY to my query about your system specs. Nice system (it would appear) -- only, I'm not all to sure I ever heard of a PCI-X graphic card. Those would be of a rare lot, wouldn't they?

I'd have recommended you pick up a PCIe (that is, PCI express) graphics card -- either nVidia or one of the ATI units -- only, you'd most certainly want to go to the graphics chipset maker's web site, then download and install the most recent drivers for your particular card (are you absolutely *sure* it's a [weird] PCI-X card?)

Also, though one might say "my drive is not fragmented", do know that there will most often be *some* area of your drive that most definitely has files that are fragmented -- howbeit, that doesn't mean your drive is in need of "defragmentation". Just wanted to point out *that* distinction.

Moreover, do know this: you may very well have some bad blocks on your drive(s) -- I state this, in light of the fact that you're having troubles with undo stacks. Something to me, seems fishy about your drive, relative to the lack of integrity, relative to being able to properly save and/or retrieve Undo Stacks. Just speculating -- not making a determination, mind you.

Last thought that comes to mind, is the fact that since you would have at least 3 NLEs on your system, I can't help but wonder how SpeedEDIT would have performed, firstly, without the other drives with the NLEs factored in the equation.

That said, might there be some conflicting .dlls or somesuch, from among the varied NLEs you had installed on both your systems?

Oooh. One other thing: Please tell me the make/model of the voltage-regulating, uninterruptible power supply you've got both your systems plugged into, before they see so much as a single cycle af AC power?
    [I pray you'll run out and *get* one, if you haven't done so, just yet: wacky power from your electric utility is a common threat and cause for system instability and shorter mean-time-before-failure!

Why not do a RAID-0 stripe across at least 2, similarly-sized partitions on the outer portion of 2 similar drives, Tony? Watch your performance improve on those slow-mo captures, and resultant playback, given other things being properly in order.

What state to you reside in? What's a "T4" machine? (Is that a VT[4]?)

OK those were some random thoughts that came to my tired bod, as I read your post. Hopefully these provide something to consider taking a closer look at.

As for me -- I could wish someone would instruct *me* how to get Vegas and VT[4] installed on the same system, and live happy together. Any ideas?

Newbie Member
    My wife and I are deep into the third significant project done with SpeedEdit. At this point, my two seats have been installed on four systems. Originally it was a pair of Pentium 4 workstations, with 2GB RAM. These were 2 year old computers, bought off the shelf at Best Buy. Every video app and demo and beta you can imagine was installed, uninstalled, etc. on those systems. SpeedEdit performed well, and my wife and I created a 6 minute video, and a 30-minute video. Both were graphics-rich and also included animated stills, and mixed SD and HDV. Graphic were nVidia GeForce 7950.

So far so good, but I wanted more, so I bought a pair of quad-core Gateways... because my wife and I like SpeedEdit so much. Now I'm running Vista 32-bit, quad-core Pentium with 4GB with ATI Radeon 1950. These too were off-the-shelf from Circuit City. I added a 10,000 rpm scratch drive, and off to the races.

SpeedEdit is so incredibly smooth on the quad-core. OK Sony Vegas 7 is smooth on these systems as well, but SpeedEdit is smooth showing full-resolution HDV from the timeline, multiple streams with effects.

Stability has been even better with Vista, now we're into an 8-minute mixed-media video, with tons of clips, layers, etc and SpeedEdit has not crashed.

If SpeedEdit was fundementaly flawed, everyone would experience the same issues reported by a few in this thread.

So all I'm saying is I've had SpeedEdit on 4 systems, and have had no serious problems. On my newest systems SpeedEdit is more stable than Vegas or Premier. These systems were all consumer computers, and both XP and Vista are accounted for, as well as nVidia and ATI. I'm happy with the performance, and will continue to trust SpeedEdit for my commercial video work.

CreatvGnius
    Quote Originally Posted by imagic
    ...Originally it was a pair of Pentium 4 workstations, with 2GB RAM. These were 2 year old computers, bought off the shelf at Best Buy. Every video app and demo and beta you can imagine was installed, uninstalled, etc. on those systems. SpeedEdit performed well, and my wife and I created a 6 minute video, and a 30-minute video. Both were graphics-rich and also included animated stills, and mixed SD and HDV. Graphic were nVidia GeForce 7950.

So far so good, but I wanted more, so I bought a pair of quad-core Gateways... because my wife and I like SpeedEdit so much. Now I'm running Vista 32-bit, quad-core Pentium with 4GB with ATI Radeon 1950. These too were off-the-shelf from Circuit City. I added a 10,000 rpm scratch drive, and off to the races.

SpeedEdit is so incredibly smooth on the quad-core. OK Sony Vegas 7 is smooth on these systems as well, but SpeedEdit is smooth showing full-resolution HDV from the timeline, multiple streams with effects.

Stability has been even better with Vista, now we're into an 8-minute mixed-media video, with tons of clips, layers, etc and SpeedEdit has not crashed.

If SpeedEdit was fundementaly flawed, everyone would experience the same issues reported by a few in this thread.

So all I'm saying is I've had SpeedEdit on 4 systems, and have had no serious problems. On my newest systems SpeedEdit is more stable than Vegas or Premier. These systems were all consumer computers, and both XP and Vista are accounted for, as well as nVidia and ATI. I'm happy with the performance, and will continue to trust SpeedEdit for my commercial video work.
    Thanks for that testimonial, relating to SpeedEDIT's high marks in smooth operation and "non-crash worthiness", in your experience with a variety of PCs, Imagic.

What pray tell, are the make/model of your off-the-shelf Quad-core systems? I gather that *one* of them is Gateway -- which model, pray tell?

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    Peter, there's no special instructions for what you asked. I run VT[4], SpeedEDIT and Vegas 7 fine on my dual-Xeon 2.8GHz 4-year old system with no problems or conflicts.

As for stability, overall I find SpeedEDIT stable, though for me, it is not as stable as VT[4] nor Vegas 7. Not bad in terms of stability, though. And I'm sure it will get better with the next update.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

Newbie Member
    Gateway FX8030, from Circuit City... both systems.

Thanks for that testimonial, relating to SpeedEDIT's high marks in smooth operation and "non-crash worthiness", in your experience with a variety of PCs, Imagic.

What pray tell, are the make/model of your off-the-shelf Quad-core systems? I gather that *one* of them is Gateway -- which model, pray tell?

CreatvGnius

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpioProd
    Peter, there's no special instructions for what you asked. I run VT[4], SpeedEDIT and Vegas 7 fine on my dual-Xeon 2.8GHz 4-year old system with no problems or conflicts.

As for stability, overall I find SpeedEDIT stable, though for me, it is not as stable as VT[4] nor Vegas 7. Not bad in terms of stability, though. And I'm sure it will get better with the next update.
    Appreciate your feedback on the successful cohabitation of Vegas, VT and SpeedEDIT on your system, Eugene.

Actually, I sometimes wonder if this "stability with other apps on the system" issue sometimes depends on which app was installed first -- particularly when they install the same .dll into the same folder. Just musing a bit here...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast