Thread: Move polygon along normal?

Cartoon-based life form mgrusin's Avatar

Move polygon along normal?

Help! I'm trying to find a tool in Modeler which can move (translate) a polygon along it's normal. (Lightwave 8.5)

"Move Plus" claims it can do this, but when I use RMB as the help line says, the polygon grows and shrinks (!?) instead of moving along the normal. (The other modes work as advertised, but don't help my problem).

"Smooth Shift" is oh-so-close, but adds new geometry I don't want...

Thanks for any and all ! -MG.

It works for me.... Remember if you have mult polys selected, they will grow and shrink when moved along their normals.
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

Hi Dodgy, thanks VERY much for the clues. I had a brief hope I was using it on a double-sided poly, but no, it's just one one-sided polygon...

I cleared the workspace and loaded a plain old cube to play with. This is what I see when I select a face of the cube and "move plus":

RMB: moves along normal, but grows and shrinks.

CTRL-RMB: moves straight along normal only if the attached geometry is "straight." For a 90 degree cube etc, it works fine. But mess with the points on the cube to make it a bit wonky, and the original polygon no longer moves straight along its normal. In fact, the normal changes as you're moving it.

CTRL-RMB is advertised as moving a poly along the average of the normals, so this makes perfect sense. But <shouts to the heavens> I just want one poly to move straight along its normal without changing size and without caring about any attached geometry...

@Dodgy: if you think this is operator error (extremely possible) and you have a sec, could you tell me the exact steps you're using to make it work? (I'm also still using LW8.5 so this may be an older bug, but a search didn't turn up anyone else complaining about it).

Thanks VERY much for the help! I've modeled myself into a corner in which this tool could really help me out...

Best, -Mike G.

How many points on that poly? It might be a limitation of the tool. I am not getting any shrinkage with RMB, works fine. Poly tested had 11 points. I have also tried polys on a sphere and on a pyramid. No problems.

If not the number of points issue, try deleting your modeler config and start modeler again. If the tool is not working right that may mean a corrupted config file which does happen from time to time.

Before you do this though, make sure and save your custom menu layout - if you have one - from the edit menu layout screen. Also will have to reload 3P plugins.

Translate plus is a second option that will certainly work. Use Segment normal and select blue circles on opposite sides of the poly.

Another thing to check might be the flatness of the poly. Is it non planar? Wonder if that would have an adverse effect?

The poly only has 6 points, and I'm sure it's flat. If your RMB doesn't make the poly grow and shrink, then there's definitely something wrong with my setup. I'll delete the config (just LWM8.cfg in c:\docs and settings\me?) and report back (I don't have any customization to save except loading all the native plugins).

Thanks for the help! -Mike G.

OK, I deleted LWM8.cfg and LWEXT8.cfg, rebooted, and ran modeler.

Modeler lost all the other plugins, but I was a little surprised to see it still has "move plus" (is it supposed to be native or a plugin?)

And dangit, it still does the same thing. Note that it works correctly if the poly is bare, e.g. not connected to anything (or apparently, if what it's connected to is hidden). But if any geometry is attached to the poly (and showing), the poly distorts on move plus.

Any ideas? Thanks for the help modelers... -Mike G.

You got me on that one. Why not try to use translate plus instead? It sounds like that plugin is simply not working right for you on your system.

This is odd. If I select a flat poly it works perfectly. How many points are in your poly? I'm wondering if it's a degenerate normal....
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar
    I use Normal Move & Normal Rotate...
    They are no longer "out there", having long since been abandoned, which is a shame as with point stretch, they are some of the most useful tools for this sort of thing, (along with LWCAD of course).

I *think* Mark Brown was the author, as they are old, I hope I'm not stepping on anyones toes by putting them up here.
    They work on anything LW7.0 upwards
    Last edited by colkai; 01-29-2010 at 12:05 PM.
    Too old to die young.

Thanks VERY much for the plugins Colkai! Your "Normal move" does EXACTLY what I want it to. I totally owe you a beer (actual, not polygons ).

Before totally giving up on this, I tried once more to clean out EVERY LW .cfg file I could find on my system (not 100% sure which ones it reads on startup), to see if a clean start would help. I then added the plugins back in, grabbed "move plus" and... no joy. Ah well. I can't imagine what's different about my system that would make this (and only this?) work differently than everyone else, but as they say the universe is a vast and mysterious place... (Next time I upgrade my seat I'll check this out on the latest version and report back.)

Thanks so much Lightwavers! And I have to say, it's totally gratifying to me that real pros are taking time to help out the noobs. Looking forward to seeing your next amazing creations!

Best, -Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by mgrusin
    Thanks VERY much for the plugins Colkai! Your "Normal move" does EXACTLY what I want it to.
    Yup, it's a beaut of a plugin.
    I really REALLY hope that LW gets this sort of functionality natively in a useable form during the next cycle.

If you look at Hex, Silo, wings, you can totally see where there are now massive gaps in modeller. Not to say I use these much over modeller, because, as with most things LW, overall, it's just more "natural" for me to work in LW.

These plugins, 'JettoLocal' and LWCAD are now part N parcel of my daily arsenal and without them, I do think I would be using other packages to model more.

JettoLocal allows setting a 'modelling' plane, but, the difference between it and CPlane is you can save your model, close modeller and re-open and still revert / switch back to your 'normal' axis as it uses layer names to hold the offset/move data it created. So that is stores with the model.

LWCAD? Gosh, where would I start, even if you don't do arch-viz, the snap / clone / mirror tools are essential, I mean ESSENTIAL to using LW productively compared to 'native' snap tools. Am I a fan - you betcha!

I'm going through 'Treybors' Serenity tut over at LWG3D and these are critical to me not pulling my hair out in the process.
    Too old to die young.

Quote Originally Posted by colkai
    I use Normal Move & Normal Rotate...
    They are no longer "out there", having long since been abandoned, which is a shame as with point stretch, they are some of the most useful tools for this sort of thing, (along with LWCAD of course).

I *think* Mark Brown was the author, as they are old, I hope I'm not stepping on anyones toes by putting them up here.
    They work on anything LW7.0 upwards
    I use those too, be great if NT intergrate them INTO the other move/rotate tools (a simple checkbox 'Use Normal' would help!) Rather than yet ANOTHER tool.

Colkai, this is why when ever I find a useful plugin in I save it off in my 'LightWave Files' folder, just in case (as many have) the author disappears off the Earth!
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Amend to that, you should see my '3rdpartyPlugs' folder - Huge doesn't cover it. I keep all my non-native plugins there so I can access from any version I have.
    All the way back to 5.6 versions - some of which still work in 9.2
    Too old to die young.