Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What timecode should look like on screen.

I believe that (especially with PCIexpress homed GPU systems,) it becomes almost normal to pull pixels back from the framebuffer even after a shader has gone to work. I was under the impression that a number of functions live in the DX Shader model 2 world already. So when these items are rendered today, they must drop back down the bus.

I think the issue is for when DirectX doesn't have a GPU capable of CPU-offload. Then the directx library has to do all the work itself, in software. Although I maybe wrong on that and this might be where directx would reject the shader request and the programmer would have to do it all manually.

This is pixel replacement anyway. Bit-block-imaging (blitting) isn't usually such an arduous task. I think there is a tendency to assume that if we have TC-burn then as it would be an overlay - then we'd lose something below it. I think it could be a special case - if that means it suits a shader better, great - do that then please NewTek!

Always more than one way to do something. Especially something like this metadata task. Rendering a subtitle or in MPEG-2 would be another option. Although some wouldn't want to have this as an overhead in their finished product when this might be more appropriately done as an extra DVD-Video Angle track/channel.

TC User Group
    Ok, I looked at the TC burn again and for event people with multiple cameras at multiple day events it would be nice to get the Data Code info displayed so they can see the date and time the video was captured. This way if you have a play that has five shows you can verify that the footage is from the correct day. For producers it would be nice to show some other data that can be input as comments on the clip. I know, it's starting to get crowded but in my world you could turn these on or off as needed.

Ivan

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpioProd
    Well... Honestly... It's really not that new an idea to show TC without rendering... EDIUS 4 can put up clip and project TC and even an overlay of the audio meters all in real-time on the live firewire output... Vegas can do it, but everything in Vegas needs to render for real output... Actually, SpeedEDIT is the only NLE I know that can't do some sort of TC window dub.
    FCP can do it as well, except you need to render the results to watch or record off firewire. A timeline TC reader and generator is necessary in many cases. Right now, I use FCP to do this sort of thing to communicate with clients better via overnight mail or Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by djlithium
    I did the overlay in fusion5 using the TXT+ tool in it different options and configurations laying them over top of the image with the black background merged in there as well. My suggestion to newtek is that this thing be written as a shader for nvidia based video cards so that the work is taken off the CPU completely.
    Sure, thanks for the explanation - I just wondered if an example of an existing realtime feature in some other package. Nice.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Perhaps NewTek can show that the wait we've had is worthwhile by standing outside the box a bit prior to delivering their wares to achieve this function?

Given the abilities of modern computers and compression technology - I can't see that the timecode needs to be burned over the top of video for too much longer. Setting the project a bit larger might the details in the border with a suitable consideration for framing and PAR would seem much better.

The edit order and cut point being more the purpose than asking the big guy whether the work is the right shape.

I'm sure this would have been done before now if we weren't so centred around D1 and tape formats.

............Just a thought.

It isn't as if director/producers are wearing heads-up-displays in their cockpits

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie
    Sure, thanks for the explanation - I just wondered if an example of an existing realtime feature in some other package. Nice.

Here is a picture of an old A... TC can be viewed in a lot of diffrent ways in videoclip and even a floating window.

chribba
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	avid.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	46082  

Quote Originally Posted by taiji
    Frikkin' outstanding demonstration of something that is needed.

If one is just making personal videos or something where you don't have to communicate with producers, animator collaborators, etc., they might have a hard time understanding why some have been chiming in about timecode so much.

This .mov shows TC-references that are necessary in the communication with others in a distributed workflow type of project.

Thanks for your diligence on this issue, djlithium!
    Thanks Taiji.
    This is something that has been a long time coming. It's absolutely important to have something like this in SpeedEdit as a competitive edge against other NLEs for new customers as well as current customers. You know this as well as I do, and this is what we wanted way back in 2001 when the VT2 came out. Systems are fast enough, and NewTek is smart enough, so this is the time to really let it show with something like this. With speedEdit being what it is now, pushing it over the top and getting it out there in the faces of both pros and hobbiests is very important to its success.

Something crossed my mind the other day. Apple has iMovie, and iDVD and all that. Why don't newtek and MS join up to put DVD Lab Pro (the good guys at mediachance), package that with SpeedEdit lite and go from there on every XP/Vista/Media center PC and go with it.

Money and muscle. It's a good combination.
    DJ Lithium | KAT! =^..^=

Black Tiger Recordings
    http://www.blacktigerrecordings.com
    Founder and Citizen of Liberty3d.com
    www.liberty3d.com

Question:
    Would you use time code burn for:
    1. Drop the footage on the timeline and give a client a TC burn of the footage for them to create a list of clips for the edit session.
    2. Make a TC burn of the "project" time code.
    3. Other.

Most all of our TC burn use is to give the client a TC Burn of the raw footage to create a rough edit list. Most often when we shoot interviews or testimonials. We often roll 1/2 hour per interview. The client will pick several 5-10 second soundbites.
    Ted R. Ruiz Sr.
    Ad-Venture Video Productions
    Elite NewTek Dealer
    www.editbay.tv
    TriCasters, Most All Models
    Cameras-Mostly HVX 200's

All of the above. It's not a question of "where is it used" but a question of how it can be used and being flexible enough to work for any situation, even those not typically encountered by the core base of users.
    DJ Lithium | KAT! =^..^=

Black Tiger Recordings
    http://www.blacktigerrecordings.com
    Founder and Citizen of Liberty3d.com
    www.liberty3d.com

Hola
    Speaking of TimeCode, it would also be a good idea to add Key Code support for people ussing film.

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    But honestly, it also depends WHO SpeedEDIT is being marketed to.

I mean, I agree universal flexibility is great, but it takes effort to make that happen, and I'm sure Newtek has to weigh the pros and cons based on WHO they are selling to.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

Timecode Reader & Generator with formats for FRAMES, 16mm, 35mm, 24fps, 25fps, 30fps, 29.97fps (Drop Frame and Non-Drop Frame) & 60fps (Drop Frame and Non-Drop Frame). I need SE to burn this info over my clips in the timeline. Either read the original TC of each clip or generate new TC for all clips.

NewTek can do it. I know they can.

I think for its price point Key Code is overkill, but it would be nice to have the option.

Quote Originally Posted by djlithium
    All of the above. It's not a question of "where is it used" but a question of how it can be used and being flexible enough to work for any situation, even those not typically encountered by the core base of users.
    While I agree it would be great to support every conceivable variable, it's more likely that NewTek will implement what will be used the most, at least at first.
    That's why I was asking how people would use it "most".
    But hey, it never hurts to ask for everything.

But what would be your prioritie's be if you had to list them in order?
    Ted R. Ruiz Sr.
    Ad-Venture Video Productions
    Elite NewTek Dealer
    www.editbay.tv
    TriCasters, Most All Models
    Cameras-Mostly HVX 200's

Timecode Burner effect

Check this thread:
    http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthre...ferrerid=20692
    You guys might be interested in this effect addons.
    =============
    Chen Pan

[email protected]
    =============

The most important to me would be:
    1. Drop the footage on the timeline and give a client a TC burn of the footage for them to create a list of clips for the edit session.

This one function alone is valuable to us as a well equipped facility and saves money for clients who can take it home and spend all the time they want for the EDL.
    Robby

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast