Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some Things Are Best Kept in Plain Sight...

CreatvGnius

Cool Some Things Are Best Kept in Plain Sight...

I was a bit jolted to discover that that clean, yet feature-laden SpeedEDIT GUI doesn't have an ADD FILES button right on its surface.

I suspect that inclusion of such a button would make for a smoother "first-impression" experience for SpeedEDIT newbies.

(Now if it's already there, would someone kindly point it out to me?)
    Thanks,
    -PeterG

Depending on what apps you've used before, an "Add Files" button can mean several things. Do you mean a button to "add this file (or (files) to the project", or to "add this file (or files) to a Library associated with this project"?

SE doesn't have a Library, as you likely know - that's a whole different discussion (on had many times previously); so I'm assuming the former.

In that case, it's true there is no button to click to Add selected files in the Filebin to the project I want to mention though - just in case you hadn't noticed - that there are some very convenient methods that accomplish the same thing.

Open an "Add Media" panel from SE's Windows menu, if you don't already have one open. Double-click a thumbnail to add that file at your current time position in the project. You likely know as well that you can use Shift+click or CTRL+click to mulit-select media - if you double-click before releasing the aulifier key (Shift or CTRL) in either case, all selected files are added to the project.

This does not negate your 'plain sight' point, Peter - just filling in the gaps for you, as I wasn't absolutely sure of your meaning.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I think also, something many people used to other workflows might not realize initially, is that AddMedia is a window - not a requester. You don't need to open it every time you want to add media - you can open it and leave it open while you work (you could alternatively use a filebin view in your main window if you don't have the desktop real-estate.)

Either way, with the Filebin or AddMedia window, as Steve said, it's just a double click to bring the clip into your project - or you can drag and drop place it.

Attached is my typical window layout for most projects. I have the Add Media window in the lower right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SE_layout.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	137.7 KB 
ID:	45990  
    Toasting with NewTek since 1991 - Corinthian Media Services
    Riding Quiet on an Electric Ninja.

To keep this going - another cool thing about Add Media is that you can have as many open as you wish, each set independently to a different path.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

CreatvGnius
    Quote Originally Posted by SBowie
    Depending on what apps you've used before, an "Add Files" button can mean several things. Do you mean a button to "add this file (or (files) to the project",
    Yeah, Steve, exactly what I meant, only I suppose I should have called it "Add Media". I just thought it would be less spooky for newbies, to simply have such a button, right there on the skin of the interface, rather than having to scurry around for it (in the 2nd menu from the left, which I think is just a tad bit bizarre).

...it's true there is no button to click to Add selected files in the Filebin to the project I want to mention though - just in case you hadn't noticed - that there are some very convenient methods that accomplish the same thing.

Open an "Add Media" panel from SE's Windows menu, if you don't already have one open. Double-click a thumbnail to add that file at your current time position in the project. You likely know as well that you can use Shift+click or CTRL+click to mulit-select media - if you double-click before releasing the aulifier key (Shift or CTRL) in either case, all selected files are added to the project.

This does not negate your 'plain sight' point, Peter - just filling in the gaps for you, as I wasn't absolutely sure of your meaning.
    Ya 'done good, Steve -- ya' 'done *good* -- and thanks, I was posting in response to really diving into SpeedEDIT only for the 2nd time ever. I had been VTEditing for quite a good number of months, now, and was a bit chagrined over where one had to go to first initiate an ADD MEDIA action.
    -PeterG

CreatvGnius
    To keep this going - another cool thing about Add Media is that you can have as many open as you wish, each set independently to a different path.
    Which is cool, indeed.
    -PeterG:agree:

Quote Originally Posted by CreatvGnius
    I just thought it would be less spooky for newbies, to simply have such a button, right there on the skin of the interface, rather than having to scurry around for it (in the 2nd menu from the left, which I think is just a tad bit bizarre).
    Ya mean like this one, from the current VT-Edit interface? Can't say I disagree...
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

CreatvGnius

Exclamation

...Open an "Add Media" panel from SE's Windows menu, if you don't already have one open. Double-click a thumbnail to add that file at your current time position in the project. You likely know as well that you can use Shift+click or CTRL+click to mulit-select media - if you double-click before releasing the aulifier key (Shift or CTRL) in either case, all selected files are added to the project.
    Man, Steve, you'd have to be here, to get a good chuckle out of my having gone to the Google Searchbar to enter: < define: aulifier > LOL! After the result turned up the equivalent of "did you mean amplifier" -- I figured out your speedy typing was with the intent on spelling "qualifier".
    -PeterG

Sheesh - I though everyone new the "aulifier" key was right beside the "Any" key.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

CreatvGnius
    Quote Originally Posted by Zcondren
    the keyboard shortcut to grab stills is crtl shift m
    Hi. In keeping with my premise that some things are just better off if they're in "plain sight", I propose that NewTek place that all-important "Grab Still" command (with its shortcut ("CTRL Shift M") printed along side it -- inside the context menu that appears when one right-clicks on a clip.

But be sure to apply an additional twist:
    Henceforth, rename Grab Still to "Make Still", so the CTRL+Shift+M keyboard combo is more easily remembered (but then, it'll be listed in the context menu, right?)

Or conversely, if they'd like to maintain the "Grab Still" nomenclature, employ the use of CTRL+Shift+G keyboard command instead of "...+M".

-PeterG

CreatvGnius
    Quote Originally Posted by billmi
    I think also, something many people ...might not realize initially... that AddMedia is a window - not a requester. You don't need to open it every time you want to add media - you can open it and leave it open while you work (you could alternatively use a filebin view in your main window if you don't have the desktop real-estate.)...
    That's good stuff, there, Bill.
    -PeterG

NewTek has a Superior,workflow they should not bow to others interface conventions.

Not to nitpick, but 50% of the screen is a filebin the first time you run it.

Sorry, I couldn't resist
    John Perkins
    Software Engineer

"No, it's my natural color..."

Fair enough, John - if the point is 'in plain sight', it doesn't get much more newbie friendly than 'drag the thumbnail' ... though I really wouldn't mind a "+ Media " button. Then again, you could do that, and then Grab Still, and then .... it could soon become cluttered.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

CreatvGnius
    Quote Originally Posted by Danic101
    NewTek has a Superior,workflow they should not bow to others interface conventions.
    I certainly,a concur, Dan. In fact -- I'm not sure that anything anyone has said in this thread is in disagreement with your expressed sentiment above.

The suggestion to place an "Add Media" button on the outside of the SpeedEDIT interface convention. See Steve Bowie's post from Saturday, May 4 2007, in this very same thread.

And John P.? You weren't nik-pickin' at all!
    -PeterG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast