Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Request: Batch Log and Capture

Request: Batch Log and Capture

Self-explanatory... just as the subject says.

Log In/Out points of multiple clips from multiple "tapes"/ sources, press Batch Capture button, walk away. Come back and change tapes/sources when prompted. Done.
    Dean A. Scott, mfa
    Senior 3D Animator and Graphic Design Illustrator, @ Astec, Inc.
    Owner / Lead Artist @ chrusion | FX

To add to that, I'd like to see a checkbox for each clip in the list to turn Autochop on or off for that particular capture event, as I am often ingesting footage where some segments I'd like chopped, and some not.
    Toasting with NewTek since 1991 - Corinthian Media Services
    Riding Quiet on an Electric Ninja.

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    Ironically enough, at the Newtek booth at NAB, Ralph was pointing out in his demos that batch capture is an obsolete concept... Especially with the cost of hard drives versus the size of DV/HDV files...

What this bodes for the inclusion of batch capture or not in future versions of SpeedEDIT, I don't know...
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpioProd
    Ironically enough, at the Newtek booth at NAB, Ralph was pointing out in his demos that batch capture is an obsolete concept... Especially with the cost of hard drives versus the size of DV/HDV files...

What this bodes for the inclusion of batch capture or not in future versions of SpeedEDIT, I don't know...

Oh sweet christ, I hope you're kidding. Someone please tell me that NewTek doesn't think that batch capturing is obsolete - they damn well better provide an alternative. Batch Capture is just as relevant today as it ever has been, and if they're planning on bypassing it altogether.... oh man... I just cant fathom... do they really think... must find my anxiety pills... oh.....

Newsflash guys.... the Flyer was cool as sh!t at the time, but ummm... that was like 10 or 12 years ago... you can't recreate ancient technology and expect it to compete today in the modern world of NLEs.

Maybe I'll start forwarding the phone calls from my clients with tape based material (ie: DigiBeta, HDCAM, D5, etc..) over to NewTek and have them explain why I no longer need Batch Capture in an NLE - that conversation would sure yield a good laugh.

Thankfully, the majority of other NLE applications on the market offer Batch Capture, Deck Control, etc... (even some freebie NLEs). So if you need Batch Capture, I'd recommend picking up any one of the other NLEs to capture with - and then if you want you could send the footage over to SE (not sure why you'd want to, but whatever).

How sad is this??? Sheeeeesh.... I guess the TriCaster line is more profitable as it seems to get the major interest on the Video side of NewTek. I can't count how many times Batch Capture (as one example) has been requested in NewTek's video products, but one would think that if they truly listened to their userbase then we'd actually have that capability (in addition to a number of others).

Everyone here interested in non tricaster related video products from NewTek should browse through the press releases on the NewTek site. Hmmmmm.... how many times have the same things been announced for VT that have never (or just now) been released? How long ago was VT5 "announced" and guess what.... we're still waiting for it.... oh and how many TriCaster or new TriCaster products have been released/announced in the same timeframe? I wish they would pick a market and focus on it as it's a tremendous disservice to their userbase right now.

Oh... and I'm not even going to touch on the new Trinity/Globecaster system... whooops.... I mean TriCaster Studio.

Sorry for the rant guys.... I love NewTek as much as everyone else, I'm just 'mad as hell, and not gonna take it anymore' - just call me Stranaharlan.

where did it all go wrong????
    harley

"it's better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb."

Quote Originally Posted by harlan
    I hope you're kidding. Someone please tell me that NewTek doesn't think that batch capturing is obsolete
    If they do think, it would be a reversal of previously (and recently) stated intentions. Drawing inferences from offhand remarks is how nasty rumours start. If anyone is concerned, it would be better to simply asked outright than speculate.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

TC User Group
    If anyone is concerned, it would be better to simply asked outright than speculate.
    Ok, I'm asking! This would be a good time for someine from Newtek to step in and clear up the rumors.

Ivan

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie
    If they do think, it would be a reversal of previously (and recently) stated intentions. Drawing inferences from offhand remarks is how nasty rumours start. If anyone is concerned, it would be better to simply asked outright than speculate.

How many times does this need to be asked for???? People have been asking for it since the Flyer, and ummm.... we still don't have it (and that is just one of many features we've all requested for quite some time now).
    harley

"it's better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb."

How many times does this need to be asked for???? People have been asking for it since the Flyer, and ummm.... we still don't have it (and that is just one of many features we've all requested for quite some time now).
    Not sure what you mean by "still don't have".... Batch capture in VT[4] works just fine.
    Toasting with NewTek since 1991 - Corinthian Media Services
    Riding Quiet on an Electric Ninja.

How many times does this need to be asked for????
    I didn't say it needed to be asked for, because you're right - it has been asked for before (and delivered, with varying degrees of success in different versions of VT), and has been previously discussed for SE as well.

What I did say was that if someone has developed a new concern about this because of some chance overheard remark it would be better to simply ask straightforwardly ... as in "I'm concerned - has batch capture been discarded from the list of SE target features?"

Frankly, the several posts above make it clear that my point is valid. While it is not inconceivable that Eugene's inference is right on the mark, I seriously doubt it - and rather than simply seek clarification we're well on our way towards achieving full-blown 'the sky is falling' mode already.
    Last edited by SBowie; 05-01-2007 at 01:52 PM.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Far be it for me to suggest the sky is falling...

I don't know what "recently stated intentions" Steve is talking about, but...

VT and SpeedEDIT are two different products. VT has batch capture, SpeedEDIT does not. SpeedEDIT has NEVER had batch capture, other NLE-only systems do. Batch Capture is NOT a stated feature in the forthcoming upgrade to SpeedEDIT. The forthcoming upgrade is the most "recently stated intention" that I know from Newtek on SpeedEDIT's future.

I think people seem to forget that VT and SpeedEDIT are not aimed at the same markets, SpeedEDIT is ONLY a DV/HDV product, as currently marketed, so one could honestly say batch capture isn't as important there as in "higher" markets. Honestly, for 99% of what I do, which fits into this "lower end", I don't need it.

Another example:

Say one is a non-Newtek person walking by and they stop to catch a demo of SpeedEDIT at NAB...

Ralph works for Newtek, Ralph is doing a demo for Newtek, it seems stronger than "inferal" to me that if Ralph states something, it reflects the Newtek view of things...

I'm in no way suggesting that VT[5] won't have batch capture, since VT[4] does. But this is a SpeedEDIT forum, and I'm standing by that based on everything I have heard at this point in time, I wouldn't hold my breath for Batch Capture in SpeedEDIT stand-alone.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

TC User Group
    What I did say was that if someone has developed a new concern about this because of some chance overheard remark it would be better to simply ask straightforwardly ... as in "I'm concerned - has batch capture been discarded from the list of SE target features?"
    OK, I don't think I can say it any more clear than Steve did so... "I'm concerned - has batch capture been discarded from the list of SE target features?"

Ivan

Good of Eugene to reiterate the distinction between SE and VT5.

Perhaps a discussion of "improved timecode support" in VT5 would be in order over at that discussion board.

Been there, done that.

Along the lines of these types of wishes, I have cultivated low expectations, so I'm pleasantly surprised at whatever comes out of the lab (e.g. timecode window burn capability).

The standalone "Studio in a Box" notion has always been NewTek's mantra. Great for what it is, but it has meant that interfacing with traditional and other people's hardware and post environments has never been, and probably never will be a priority for the R&D nor strength of the product line.

JMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by taiji
    Along the lines of these types of wishes, I have cultivated low expectations, so I'm pleasantly surprised at whatever comes out of the lab (e.g. timecode window burn capability).

The standalone "Studio in a Box" notion has always been NewTek's mantra. Great for what it is, but it has meant that interfacing with traditional and other people's hardware and post environments has never been, and probably never will be a priority for the R&D nor strength of the product line.
    Oh yeah, I'm also very happy about the forthcoming TC window burn capability, it's definately something I personally need in my work, even though I don't need BC for what I do.

Thing is, since SpeedEDIT isn't a "Studio in a Box", I think it's important for Newtek to give it BETTER interfacing to other programs and hardware than VT, since for that very reason it needs it more than VT.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

I wrote a review of SpeedEDIT for WEVA in the last month. I very pointedly asked Paul where batch capture was. According to him it was dropped because they had to write something from the ground up and had been unable to add batch capture back into the mix on time to make the release date. Something about HD footage is causing the holdup. It will be back, my guess is probably v2 and that is a guess, Paul gave no indication when.

Harlan, I don't know what Tricaster that was announced and isn't shipping outside of the HD version and that never had any indication of due date. Only a early version demo was given. When it comes to Globalstreams I visit their forums every so often and I still haven't figured out how anyone would willingly invest in their product. Newtek has it's share of problems, but what they deliver works.
    Brian Peterson
    River City Productions

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Peterson
    According to him it was dropped because they had to write something from the ground up and had been unable to add batch capture back into the mix on time to make the release date. Something about HD footage is causing the holdup.
    That is exactly the same as my recollection from the events and remarks made just prior to release. The prevailing thinking could have changed, but barring an explicit statement I'm not convinced.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast