Thread: attaching an object to an MDD character

attaching an object to an MDD character

dear wavers

what is the way to do it? My character driven by MDD but i must attach something on it. Is there a way to do it?

Means, is there are a way to track a part of body and attach a null object on it...(like a particle or a sword)

thank you in advance

BEST

There is a dynamics function that allows you to plot the moves of a vertex- and maybe parent an object to it? Another one of those demo vids ( for 8 I think) You would have to apply dynamics to the object though and I'm not sure this works with MDD.

The motions that softfx, clothfx and mdscanning create are mdd files and are the same mdd files exported by XSI via point oven, blender etc.
    Load them into clothfx and use the editfx tool --- makepath to extract a motion path off a point.

dear splineGod and wonderpup

thanks for this amazing tip. I will try and let you guys know...IF this works i will purchase pointoven... rightaway.

BTW splineGod do you know any good infos-tuts about the wonders of MDD?

Best

dear splineGod

it WOORKED...HURRRRRRRRAY! Thank you...You bless yourself!!!!

BEST

Glad it worked out. Where are you exporting the mdd files from?
    Theres a lot of very cool things you can do with mdd files and theres some nice 3rd party tools to deal with them as well as some nice tools inside LW.

dear splineGod

ok it has worked for lets say 60 frames. When i have a character with 2000 polies and over 2000 frames of MDD animation, calculation with ClothFX simply unbearable.

There must be a way to track down those points without having them calculated by ClothFX...

best

Theres a couple of plugins that allow you to load only the parts of the mdd file you need for that frame so you dont run out of memory. Its built into clothfx already but is apparently broken atm. Another is part of the free DP Kit.
    Other then that you could metalink a smaller object to the main object you have and then bake that. Node matching might also work.