Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advanced Camera Vs. Real Lens?

Advanced Camera Vs. Real Lens?

I've been fooling around with the new Camera settings, and I have two questions:

1. Does "Real Lens" simulate the spherical distortion that occurs with any real-world lens, or do I need to use "Advanced Camera" for that?

2. If "Real Lens" doesn't include said distortion, what the heck good is it?

from what I can understand, it simulates the actual lens on the camera you assign it too. it works for me perfectly so far. so if you want to know what is good for, let's say you are shooting in a live plate and need to comp 3D into it, it will give you a perfect match for the plate.
    Emanuel Rosario
    VFX Artist
    website

I guess the question, then, is: why can Real Lens preview spherical distortion on the fly, while Advanced Camera can't?

None of the special lenses preview in OpenGL at all. Only simple ones like the Perspective, Orthographic, or any of the perspective correction lenses that are floating around can be previewed in OpenGL.
    LightWave3D training, assets, news and discussion at www.liberty3d.com
    My opinions are my own and do not represent the opinions of any other entity, Liberty3D is not officially endorsed by NewTek.

Is it posible to make youre own lens for the reallens cameras.
    I want to match a panasonic camera that is missing in the selections.

Need i say more ?
    Yes, soon we'll have core!
    L8est reel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NnXaP121WQ

Not yet, but you could write a separate lens shader plugin to do it specifically for that camera ( and any others you have the data for ).
    My opinions are my own and do not represent the opinions of any other entity, Liberty3D is not officially endorsed by NewTek.

I'm trying to composite some 3D onto vis shot with a Panasonic DVX100A. I think the Panasonic's listed are all still cameras. This ons is a video camera.

I saw a rubic's cube anim somewhere that had some lovely distortion.

I'm using Matchmover which exports a camera mesh as reference I wonder how I can use that to help make a camera.

Right now lens distortion is a dream for now. Any ideas???

you can also use the surface of a mesh as the camera "lens" and get some controllable distortion.

You have also this Camera but need a,b,c distorsion
    from camera calibration:
    http://perso.orange.fr/dpont/plugins...ft_Camera.html

Denis.

Quote Originally Posted by monovich
    you can also use the surface of a mesh as the camera "lens" and get some controllable distortion.
    How is this done?

Model the lens with geometry, apply a UV map, position the lens where you want to view the scene from, and use the Bake Surroundings option in the baking camera.

Freelance Filmmakers ghostlight's Avatar
    Lens distortion is a 2D artifact. If you have compositing software, simply remove the lens distortion from the original footage. This is only temporary. Use this undistorted footage as reference when animating.

Render using Perspective camera.

Refering to the value you used to undistort your footage, DISTORT your 3D render with the opposite of that value. Composite over your untouched footage. The distorted 3D render should have bending perspective lines that match that of your original footage.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostlight
    Lens distortion is a 2D artifact. If you have compositing software, simply remove the lens distortion from the original footage. This is only temporary. Use this undistorted footage as reference when animating.

Render using Perspective camera.

Refering to the value you used to undistort your footage, DISTORT your 3D render with the opposite of that value. Composite over your untouched footage. The distorted 3D render should have bending perspective lines that match that of your original footage.
    That certainly sounds like the way to do it BEFORE 9.2, and it might be the way I'll go for this quick project. I upgraded to 9.2 basically because of this (but I've since been blown away with other things) still the camera will take some hand-holding.

"Baking UV camera meshes"? Not for me today! (c:

- Rick

The RadialShift Camera uses the same algorithm than
    many undistorsion tools/plugins included in 2D applications,
    I guess that the a, b and c distorsion parameters are
    used also in the LW Real Lens Camera, since the PTLens
    data base matches the Real Lens list.
    http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68159

Denis.

Freelance Filmmakers ghostlight's Avatar
    If Real Lens cameras could let you preview the distortion with Open GL, then they'd be more useful for compositing over live footage. Right now it simply isn't because there's no way to line up your 3D stuff with your background stuff without test renders.

Furthermore, most camera-tracking software relies on distortion-free footage to properly solve the camera motion and geometry of the scene. I undistort my footage before camera tracking, and distort the 3D elements to match in the composite. Works really well.

Check out this behind-the-scenes video:
    http://www.ghostlightdigital.com/por...leffects/high/

In these videos I don't really go into too much detail about the processes, but you can see the footage being tracked has concave black boarders, showing it has been undistorted and had its boarders expanded. I render for this larger image size with the extra boarders, so that when I distort the 3D elements to match there's no quality loss.

By the way, 9.2 rocks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast