Thread: New user external hard drive question?

Newbie Member

New user external hard drive question?

I just ordered Speededit and I will be using an external Seagate 750GB Hard drive as my media file drive in Speededit. I have it hooked up to my computer's rear firewire port.

My question is - Can I hook up the drive to me USB2 port and have the same dependability?

The specs show firewire at 400MBS and USB2 at 480MBS? So?????

I want to use my rear firewire port to link to my HDV camera and passthrough to a HD monitor for pre-view monitoring.

Thanks, Jason

I've used both, but it depends on the quality of the chipset in the external box. If it's not good, the drive will probably keep disappearing when under a load.

I use firewire when possible, but some newer cameras take over the bus, making that impossible.

A good USB2 box will work fine for compressed footage such as DV or HDV.
    John Perkins
    Software Engineer

"No, it's my natural color..."

Newbie Member

Mine works fine

I use an external USB hard drive for my DV footage. Works fine sending the information back and forth.

Good luck.

Newbie Member
    My experience with USB and Seagate external drives has been good. No appreciable difference in performance vs. firewire. Actually it's the firewire link that seems to drop-off every now and then; never had a USB external drive do that.
    [url]www.imagicdigital.com[/url]

I'm thinking about going with eSATA. Like:
    http://www.buy.com/prod/cavalry-500g...203268361.html

Anybody tried it? Liked it?

We use several Seagates in factory cases and have done so over the years. No failures yet. Wish I could say the same for some of the others. I've also had good luck in "rolling my own" in using Seagate drives and installing them in third party cases. I tend to like the USB2 connection in that for some reason, the drive tends to go to "sleep" more often when hooked up only by firewire. By the way I play back .rtv files in real time with no problems and do so on a regular basis.

For the exact reason JP posted, USB for drives, FWire for Cameras and Decks. I too am a Seagate USB/IDE/SATA user. I power off my USB drives, swap the cabel to another system, then power on. The system then polls the drive just like inserting a dataDVD. No failures yet.

fwiw
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

Digitizing video since 1984
    HyMPG Designer since 1997
    [email protected]

FYI, the reason I posted the swap procedure for xtenal USB, is from failures reported with USB drives by others. You will NOT have any problems with USB drives, if you use the power OFF, swap cabel to another PC and power ON. If you should pull the USB end from a PC, you will not damage anything on the drive, just power the USB drive OFF, befor connecting again.

You should also look and reformat a USB drive as NTFS, unless your using on a Mac. There is a Mac program now, so as to read AND write to NTFS drives.

fwiw
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

[email protected]

Nocturnal Crouton Flinger JackJ's Avatar
    KiloWatkins,
    Do you bother unmounting the USB drives or just hit the power switch and unplug?

Power switch and unplug, plug and power on. The drive will poll just like a dataDVD. I've one 2 years old, never had to softboot like some have posted.

Seagates

GoodLuck
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

[email protected]

I would offer that you make sure that your USB hard drive is in fact done doing what it needs to do. Even though it looks like "its done", in fact it may not be. A "premature dismount" can corrupt files. I subscribe to the software dismount myself.

Yes, I am always aware of that, and good point. One other thing I have noticed, files do not fragment, until the USB is almost full.

BestWishes
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

[email protected]