Thread: Best Graphic Card for Lightwave

Best Graphic Card for Lightwave

Hi Gang

I'm in the process of putting together a new system for Lightwave based on a Qx6700, 4gb Ram and a Asus P5W64-WS Pro Motherboard. In the past Lightwave had a reputation (personally confirmed) for not the best OpenGL performance.

Two questions arise therefore:

1. Should I go for a Quadro FX 1500 or spend less on a gaming board, maybe one of the GeForce 8800 series?

2. Is Lightwave 9.2's OpenGL performance considerable improved over past iterations?

Thanks

cyphyr
    ~ will render for food ~

IMO, you are better off buying a gaming card. The Quadro's benefits are seen with some high level OpenGL calls that I suspect LW still does not support.

Spend the money on a better CPU or memory.

Matt is right. Gaming cards will do you just fine.
    Charles Oines, Emergency Stunt Artist
    Irrational Designs
    Print on Demand Miniature Starships

Beware the 8800, it's not entirely bug free yet. I assume this will be sorted out eventually. I actually liked my 7800 better.

With 9.2, Lightwave's opengl support for new cards and resulting performance has greatly improved.
    Core 2 Quad, 8Gig, NV8800GTS, Vista64bit

My Aviation Art: www.actionart.ca
    My Day Job: www.creativecontrol.ca

Quote Originally Posted by creativecontrol
    Beware the 8800, it's not entirely bug free yet.
    What problems are you seeing? I've not noticed any with mine.

I actually liked my 7800 better.
    I had 2x 512mb 7800GTX cards (in SLI) in my machine before I upgraded to the 8800GTX. The single GTX is way faster than the two 7800s combined, so there's no way I'd ever go back

The threads mentioning problems with the 8800 I've seen are in the LW9 Beta forum.

My ATI has done everything I've thrown at it so far. Funny, ATI used to be the lesser card for OGL, but the latest releases seem to have reversed that trend.

I suspect there's a lot of effort being focused (by the graphics card manufactures) on Vista drivers right now, maybe to the detriment of getting bugs fixed.
    23oct18: Lightwave 2018.6 Build 3069, win10 x64, AMD Ryzen 1800, 64 GB mem, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 ti v411.34 (23oct18)

Quote Originally Posted by iainbyoung
    What problems are you seeing? I've not noticed any with mine.
    Most of the problems have been fixed but one remains. When I try to use the surface editor in modeler, one click on any texture button and all smooth shaded geometry vanishes. Only in VBO mode.
    Core 2 Quad, 8Gig, NV8800GTS, Vista64bit

My Aviation Art: www.actionart.ca
    My Day Job: www.creativecontrol.ca

I use an NVidia 6200 OC at home and a 7600 at work. Both meant mostly for gaming but work great with Lightwave!
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

Quote Originally Posted by creativecontrol
    Most of the problems have been fixed but one remains. When I try to use the surface editor in modeler, one click on any texture button and all smooth shaded geometry vanishes. Only in VBO mode.
    I'd not noticed that myself, but then again I don't think I've tried using the surface editor in modeler yet. Will give it a try tonight