Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Final Cut catching up with Speed Edit?

I'd love to see some of the misinformation corrected.

Why is this thread being given to the dogs? I think the corrections would be much more interesting.

Because we all know that flamewars contending that anything other than AmigaDOS are the real cure to all of mankinds ills are just wishful thinking prompted by OS-envy?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    Eh, I think Steve's right, this thread isn't really accomplishing anything useful.

FCP and SpeedEDIT are different products with different features and always will be.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

Quote Originally Posted by robewil
    Ted,
    I saw this today and it reminded me of this post.
    Thanks for the link!
    Ted R. Ruiz Sr.
    Ad-Venture Video Productions
    Elite NewTek Dealer
    www.editbay.tv
    TriCasters, Most All Models
    Cameras-Mostly HVX 200's

It's only a flamewar if we make it; information is neutral.

I believe this section is the "SPEEDEDIT Community" section, not "SE Tips and Tricks" or "SE General Support." A community can compare products, talk about horrible clients or tell a joke. This thread doesn't have to accomplish anything. Steve, who I deeply respect, doesn't have to offer input throughout this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by UnCommonGrafx
    It's only a flamewar if we make it; information is neutral.
    I know, but despite best intentions all around, the very nature of this particular subject very quickly and almost uncontrollably tends toward "Apple is better!/No it's not!/Yes it is!" that it makes my head ring ... just look at what has been written above to demonstrate that.

Tell you what though, y'all go ahead and bash away, I just won't read this one.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Right, Steve. I guess my intentions are that we use some of that maturity that has been shown by many who have restrained on their comments and encourage them to speak up in such a manner. That is to say, in such a manner as to be informative and not boastful.

I know that Harlan can do just that as I've seen him do it before.

I'm much more interested that such conversations be had, that we learn our way to have conversations like this in a mature fashion and to show NewTek what their own users would like to see in future SE versions.

I know that I am looking at what other tools do what and conversations of this nature are a help.

Newbie Member
    An Apple fan boy's opinion should be welcomed. The info may be fact or fiction but none the less welcomed.

Newbie Member
    Not sure what fictional info adds to any debate. Anyone involved in debate should welcome facts, period.

Quote Originally Posted by medeamajic
    An Apple fan boy's opinion should be welcomed. The info may be fact or fiction but none the less welcomed.
    Last edited by imagic; 05-03-2007 at 04:52 PM.
    [url]www.imagicdigital.com[/url]

Whether FCP is considered a competitor or not, what comes to reason is that, depending on the task at hand, which program can get the job done with the least amount of clicks and crashing. Creative time is at a premium. Decreasing the user's interaction of the software's toolset to get from A to B is key.

I like to experiment and come up with something different. I need time to do that. Speededit has superceded FCP for editing certain projects not requiring lots of character generating and motion graphics. I can't wait until the slo-mo is updated.

FCP vs Speededit

FCP obviously has the support and HD capability that SE can't touch for years, but I have personally had experienced FCP guys sit at my SE system and marvel at how much you can do in the control tree and with a clip in the timeline. In FCP, when you select a clip, it opens it in the cumbersome viewer and takes you through it's clunky interface. If I want to spin a a 3D move in a PIP, I just right click and rotate in one move, that always freaks out my Avid and FCP friends! They always say, "what did you do, do that again, how did you make that happen????".

Let's face it, when SE matures, it will be deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by bobgilles
    If I want to spin a a 3D move in a PIP, I just right click and rotate in one move, that always freaks out my Avid and FCP friends! They always say, "what did you do, do that again, how did you make that happen????".
    How did you make that happen?

I seem to get a contextual menu when I right click on the SE Viewer. No instant rotation thingy here. It doesn't mention any shortcuts in the manual either. I do see it in the control tree which is fine and dandy, but to interact with it in the viewer would be ultra-dandy. What's the secret combo?

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    Control Tree>Positioner Panel.

I agree, that is a powerful feature of SpeedEDIT, though I have seen it done in other NLEs directly in their output window.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

CreatvGnius
    Quote Originally Posted by axaboss
    I have to admit - Speededit is hands down the best editor for short form (15secs to 5mins.) projects with lots of cuts and layers. I love it. I charge the same and get more time to sunbathe near the pool.
    ...as well, SpeedEDIT is hands down the best editor for long form projects with simple layers, with cuts and dissolves. I love it...

As for "Final Cut catching up w/SpeedEDIT", I fully understand the rationale of asking that question, particularly in relation to the issue of the need for rendering seemingly the smallest detail within the FCP interface.

I felt I was laboring to get through a simple project, due to having been spoiled by NewTek's genuinely real-time solutions for effects preview -- let alone for speedily rendering an output file.
    -PeterG

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast