Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Cut catching up with Speed Edit?

Final Cut catching up with Speed Edit?

Just saw this on digg.com
    http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/software/...-ho-252408.php

(They say "it just works," and from the demo, looks like all kinds of formats can nicely live together on the same editing timeline, where they had to be transcoded to work together before.)

check and you will find that Final cut can also support the Red Camera footage and it's codec. SpeedEdit neeeds to do this soon. Final Cut is cabable of working at 4k and 2k now, mainly 2k output.
    Woo Woo, back on the Turnip Truck!!

Well there is no released stuff yet. So when there is.

Bob
    bobt_at_bobfx_com
    www.bobfx.com
    Bob Tasa

and finalcut also has to " RENDER " just about everything.
    All the REAL TIME things we expect like keys, CC, DVEs and PIP that we get with SE will have to render..... I think they have a long way to catch up.
    no thanks
    Brian Jansen
    DIGITAL POST INC.

TC User Group
    Unless you are going out to tape or a set top DVD burner everything needs to render. And if you need to render, batch rendering and distributed rendering should be on the list of features. Given that FCP has these and neither VT or SE has them it is a question of your work flow as to who has to catch up. If you want to render your Mpg2 with TMPG or your DVD Program in SE you need to render to render. How does that save time? At least VT has AVI Wrapper.

Ivan

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpost
    and finalcut also has to " RENDER " just about everything.
    All the REAL TIME things we expect like keys, CC, DVEs and PIP that we get with SE will have to render..... I think they have a long way to catch up.
    no thanks
    You sound a little bias.

Regardless, Speededit has its storyboard/timeline editor which no one can do. I love it. I'm a FCP user as well, and find that both programs compliment my application arsenal rather nicely. Each are good at a specific kind of project. But, my bet is still with FCPro for long format projects with complex sound editing.

I'm not a video guy (I only saw this thread because of the "New Posts" button), but it strikes me as strange to say "catch up." To me, it seems that Final Cut Pro and SpeedEdit take entirely different approaches to what they do. A direct comparison is thusly hard, if not impossible.

Also, as axaboss said: Two apps are better than one.
    Are my spline guides showing?

I agree that both apps are better than one.
    I also agree that both apps need to render final for DVD or for final files.
    My point is.... render keys, greenscreen, PIPs, transistions, is something
    MOST of the " other " editing apps DON"T need to do... including SE.
    It's about SPEED for me. When a client is paying an hourly rate for post, tweaking and rendering-tweaking and rendering-tweaking and rendering-tweaking and rendering- will take longer & make me more $$$, but most of
    my client base that buys blocks of production here use our studio because
    of "what" we do... and how "fast" we edit.
    I know that FC is a killer app, but I don't know of any other app that is crippled by having to render almost any changes you make.
    I guess MAC os has no other choice right now.... until Adobe kicks in again!
    Brian Jansen
    DIGITAL POST INC.

TC User Group
    I don't know of anything that needs to be rendered to see a preview. Pretty much everyone has this figured out by now even FCP. I have a dual 800 Mac and I can get as good of a preview with that as I do on a dual 3ghz with SE. Not that SE is bad but FCP is not drawing the video one frame at a time like you make it sound. If you do need to render to final isn't it nice that Apple has figured out distributed rendering? It's no big deal now because on the latest Macs rendering to Mpeg2 is close to real-time. The big advantage that they have is that they have it now and when you really start to need it for HD it won't be version one playing catch-up. Additionally the batch render capability makes output of multiple project to multiple resolutions much easier. It's nice that SE can output to any file type and any size but without batch rendering its a day of render, wait, render, wait, render, wait....

Ivan

I have to admit - Speededit is hands down the best editor for short form (15secs to 5mins.) projects with lots of cuts and layers. I love it. I charge the same and get more time to sunbathe near the pool.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan
    Unless you are going out to tape or a set top DVD burner everything needs to render.
    While that is true, not waiting for renders to view the final look of a change you are tweaking is a huge productivity difference.

Yesterday I posted a 5-minute green-screen and animation composite in which the talent is explaining features in an illustrative animation weather-man style. I made a mistake when shooting though. I had an overlay on the monitor with pointing targets for the dashing yet skilled talent, and due to using the GL-1's LCD monitor for this, which mirror images when facing the forward, everything was pointed to on the opposite side of the screen from where it should be.

While posting, I flipped the animation 180 degrees on the Y axis to match the mistake in shooting. I also had to edit together several stills out of the animation along with the animation itself playing bacck at various rates, to time the motion of the background to the talent pointing, pushing and talking about the operating process, and had to reposition the footage of the talent a couple of times, so that the pointing was more exact. There was no waiting, there was no rendering. Everything was realtime. That's where rendering or realtime makes the difference.

If I had to wait for a render after each of those tweaks it would have been forever to edit - but it took less than a half an hour (not to mention no time to render the output since it will import to the program it is going in as a sub-project.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bill_infinity_legend.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	45365  
    Last edited by billmi; 04-18-2007 at 04:41 AM.
    Toasting with NewTek since 1991 - Corinthian Media Services
    Riding Quiet on an Electric Ninja.

Newbie Member
    MacHeads are always right, I've come to learn this. The superiority of Apple should go unchallenged, because of course everyone is playing catchup to everything they do.

Apple makes great ads, but very often they flat-out lie about the performance of the Mac. In fact the notion that Macs outperform PC in computation-heavy tasks (rendering, etc) is one of the great urban legends. Switching to Intel helped them catch-up, but that's all.

BTW I do find MPEG encoding during render from SpeedEdit to be surprisingly slow, about half the speed of Vegas 7 using the MainConcept CODEC.

With vegas 7, even on an older P4 machine, MPEG2-DVD rendering is "real-time", as in it takes as long to render as the running time of the footage... so that's not very impressive at all for FCP to render MPEG in "real-time". Certainly nothing exclusive to a mac.

Sure realtime MPEG encoding is fun and all, but the reason i use the non realtime encoders is because of the simple fact that a multipass VBR MPEG is just much smaller and boast a visible superiority to the 'real' time one.

Anyhoo, so far i'm impressed by SE, eventhough it's still a bit of a beta program, but hey, just imagine where SE could be when that reaches version 6.
    I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious. - Albert Einstein
    visit my company site : House of Secrets
    visit my personal site : svenneve.com

TC User Group
    Attacking the users, that's a new approach. It's not the users, it's the software. I have said over and over again VT2 just killed FCP2. You think I'm just saying that because it's what I used at the time? Have you ever heard of the Matrox RTMac? I have one, you want it? The simple fact is that VT and SE have lost so much ground that they are not even in the same class as FCP as an editor. That's to bad because VT started so far ahead and they both had the same five-six years to develop.

As for Mpeg encoding with Vegas vs. SE, are you using the same settings? Are you sure? If you are getting real-time or even close with an older system it is not totally due to the package you are using but the settings. I have a dual 3ghz Xeon that runs about 6 to 1 with TMPG using 2 pass high quality settings. If I set the setting low enough I bet I could beat that with my Amiga 4000(now those users are snooty).

Ivan

PS. As for V6, look at the past upgrades for VT and LW. That looks to be about once every two years. According to the Mayan calendar the earth is supposed to end in 2012 so maybe they could rush it a little.

Newbie Member
    Is there any reason FCP users are hanging out here cracking on SE? That behavior seems to verge on trolling. If you are going to use FCP/FCS, I'd think one's time would be much better spent on Apple's boards.

Hey, to each their own. This is real subjective stuff, figuring out which editor is better is like arguing politics.
    Last edited by imagic; 04-18-2007 at 04:15 PM.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast