Thread: Another Peak Level indicator mode

Another Peak Level indicator mode

The Peak Level indicator is great - but I would like to see it implemented further.

Both for the project/subproject in the edit window, and for a clip in the Edit Properties panel, I would like to see a Peak Level that is based not on the VU meters, but on the waveforms - that way I don't have to play a clip or project start to finish at 1x to see what my peak level is.
    Toasting with NewTek since 1991 - Corinthian Media Services
    Riding Quiet on an Electric Ninja.

Toaster Oven
    Unless I am mistaken, the waveform shows the levels (except if you apply say the compress/expand filter). So you should be able to scan to the highest point of the waveform and then hit play to see the the peak db of the clip (click on the db level first to reset).

The problem with this is that it could only take into consideration the peaks of a single audio clip. To really know where project audio peaks (taking into account all contributing sounds and settings) it would be necessary to parse the entire project...
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Yes. And I've had times where a peak was above 0, and it didn't appear that way in the waveform, when the waveform was scaled low enough to fit in the window.

As I doubt this would be something that would stay up in realtime - maybe a "scan peak level" button, that would scan the full project and update the peak indicator accordingly would do the trick - certainly I expect this could happen faster than playing through the project at 1x.

I don't remember if I tried this or not - does the Peak indicator work if you FF?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Just Tryin' To Help...
    Sometimes ... I do it a lot (in VT[4.6]) with both individual clips and whole projects, crank the knob on my ShuttlePro2 and let-er-rip, but I have learned to go back and spot-check the higher peaks I can see in the waveforms and sometimes have to tweak from there; usually lower the level a tenth or two from the levels I got while FF.
    SB Enterprises, Quincy, Illinois ~ in the backwoods of the US of A

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie
    I don't remember if I tried this or not - does the Peak indicator work if you FF?
    It works, but not 100%, it misses peaks.

Figures, I suppose.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Toaster Oven
    I think my copy of CoolEdit (2000) can scan a wav file for the peak level (and adjust peak so it is not above xx). But NT is way behind in audio features.