Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Request: Image Sequence Options

Hmmmm ... without commenting on the pros and cons of Mirage's import panel, it's a very, very different thing than the existing VT/SE workflow, Ahmed. Hard to see how the two concepts could be married.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie
    Hmmmm ... without commenting on the pros and cons of Mirage's import panel, it's a very, very different thing than the existing VT/SE workflow, Ahmed. Hard to see how the two concepts could be married.
    Steve,
    I would have thought that the mere mention of Mirage/Aura, you would just agree regardless. After all, you and Mirage are a couple.

Anyway, I know that the work flow is not the same, but I like when i double click on an image seq be asked what do I want to do,

Should I load that frame only?
    Should I load the entire seq?
    Should I mark In or Out?

That to me is well thought of compared to what we have now...

Just my two cent (or 4 cent now)
    Ahmed

I click, therefore I am.

Aah, I see - I think. (Maybe) you're suggesting something could pop up when the image sequence is added to the timeline/sb? But if so, this still leaves the issue of thumbnail generation for what can be thousands of files.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

The frozen molasses thumbnail/metadata file generation thing is a symptom of a bug affecting something else that has been fixed in the new upgrade, according to John P. in a private email.

Though it's fixed ( I hope, haven't d/l'd the upgrade yet), thousands of teeny files all over my HD just erks the H out of me. Microsoft, Adobe, and Sony don't do this, why does NT have to? Because that's the way VT Edit started out 10 years ago? Hey! it's 2007, NT HAS to rethink this metadata stuff. I've said it before, thumbnails can be generated on the fly as needed and kept in RAM, just like the way Vegas does. If thumbnails need to be stored, keep them in a single "database" file per folder like MS and Adobe do.

Regarding small files, Thanks for the MFT info. However, the MFT will out grow its 12.5% of reserved disk space (MFT Zone) and become fragmented into newly acquired HD space by the generation of tens of thousands of 1K thumb/metadata files for those of us using SE for animation. No matter how I look at it, it's still a nasty and unnecessary thing to molest my HD this way when far more efficient methods are readily available today.
    Last edited by Chrusion; 04-16-2007 at 07:26 AM.
    Dean A. Scott, mfa
    Senior 3D Animator and Graphic Design Illustrator, @ Astec, Inc.
    Owner / Lead Artist @ chrusion | FX

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrusion
    No matter how I look at it, it's still a nasty and unnecessary thing to molest my HD this way when far more efficient methods are readily available today.
    No doubt. Especially since there are a lot more ways to improve image sequence handling than the ones we've discussed here:
    * a single metadata file per sequence
    * automatic linking of single frame sequences to pre-rendered video files (i.e. if a frame in the sequence changes, the video gets re-rendered using that new frame) - this would make importing sequences from a network feasible as well.

Cheers,
    Mike

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123