Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Request: Image Sequence Options

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Hiya'll...
    Plenty to answer, please excuse me for not quoting:

@SBowie: What if there are multiple sequences in a folder? Be default they should be displayed as a clip (no need for thumbnails and probably covers 90% of the use cases) and broken up by user intervention.

@cholo: Nothing would happen if the meta data is lost afaik. The settings for clips used in a project are stored within the project. The worst thing that could happen is that a sequence you had broken into files up will display as a single sequence next time you navigate to the folder.

@radams: Would be nice to have, however, some would need extra conversion input by the user (I'd love to be able to import EXRs, set the HDR->LDR transfer settings and then have SE render that out in the BG to something that can be played back in RT - re-rendering if I change the settings of course).

Cheers,
    Mike

I strongly vote for NO metadata/thumbs/etc in hidden folders for image sequences! If metadata is absolutely required, then make it a single file made within the same folder as the seq.

How much more Efficient would metadata be if contained in a single file? Such would result in a HUGE savings of harddrive sectors and a big decrease in file access time, since only one file would need to be opened rather than hundreds or thousands.
    Last edited by Chrusion; 04-12-2007 at 11:04 AM.
    Dean A. Scott, mfa
    Senior 3D Animator and Graphic Design Illustrator, @ Astec, Inc.
    Owner / Lead Artist @ chrusion | FX

How about if you want it to load as a sequence you just drag in the first image and if you don't want it to load as a sequence you hold ctrl or alt or some other similar key or key combo while dragging to the timeline.
    Dynamic Video Productions
    Mount Laurel NJ

[5 minute rule]

I think we all realize that a 1KB file takes up 4 to 8 KB of hard drive space if using default allocation units when formatting hd's over 20 gigs. A folder full of 5,000 such files (5 megs of metadata) sucks up 15 to 35 MEGS of hd space. This is unnecessary.
    Dean A. Scott, mfa
    Senior 3D Animator and Graphic Design Illustrator, @ Astec, Inc.
    Owner / Lead Artist @ chrusion | FX

Quote Originally Posted by Chrusion
    I strongly vote for NO metadata/thumbs/etc in hidden folders for image sequences! If metadata is absolutely required, then make it a single file made within the same folder as the seq.

How much more Efficient would metadata be if contained in a single file? Such would result in a HUGE savings of harddrive sectors and a big decrease in file access time, since only one file would need to be opened rather than hundreds or thousands.
    Not quite. Afaik NTFS stores tiny files within the directory structure, not as a separate block.
    Also, we're talking about one byte (consolidate on/off) of information per sequence (which can be thousands of frames).

Cheers,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Deustachio
    How about if you want it to load as a sequence you just drag in the first image and if you don't want it to load as a sequence you hold ctrl or alt or some other similar key or key combo while dragging to the timeline.
    Actually, I like that idea.
    However is there would be a consolidate option for sequences, the workflow might be a bit different:
    Scrub to the frame you want in the picon view (which afaik is not possible now), press a key combo and drag into the project to just get that frame. The beauty is this could work with videos as well.

Cheers,
    Mike

5 Minute rule as well. here.... *grrrrr*
    Regarding small files:

"Location of small files — with the NTFS file system, the entire file is contained within the MFT record. The maximum file size that fits in the MFT record depends upon the cluster size and the number of attributes for the file."
    From: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/arc....mspx?mfr=true

Cheers,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwolf
    Hiya'll..
    @SBowie: What if there are multiple sequences in a folder? Be default they should be displayed as a clip (no need for thumbnails and probably covers 90% of the use cases) and broken up by user intervention.
    Video clips normally show a thumbnail anim, and there are some convenient features in the Filebin in this connection. I'd hate to give those up, so this is a problem. As the thumbnails are created on first entry of a folder, you'd either have to automatically pop up something that asked "Clip, Stills, or None?" re: thumbs on sequence recognition, or permit/require the user to do the same thing. This could work for multiple sequences in a folder too.

I can't say I care for it either, but there only seem to be one alternative ... all sequentially numbered could be treated as clips, period (which would be just fine with me. I never use sequentially named stills anyway.)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie
    Video clips normally show a thumbnail anim, and there are some convenient features in the Filebin in this connection. I'd hate to give those up, so this is a problem.
    Sorry, I probably misphrased it. Af course you should get those for sequences as well. However, you'd still only see the first frame of a sequence once you enter the directory, with the other thumbs generated in the background. And there should be some indication of the fact that you're looking at a sequence of frames stacked up
    As the thumbnails are created on first entry of a folder, you'd either have to automatically pop up something that asked "Clip, Stills, or None?" re: thumbs on sequence recognition, or permit/require the user to do the same thing. This could work for multiple sequences in a folder too.
    Why do you need either? I don't see any reason for user intervention except to break up a sequence into individual stills - once per sequence. Wouldn't be that bad since this seems to be required only in 5% of cases or so (guessing here).
    I can't say I care for it either, but there only seem to be one alternative ... all sequentially numbered could be treated as clips, period (which would be just fine with me. I never use sequentially named stills anyway.)
    Yup, with the option to break them up.

Cheers,
    Mike

And there should be some indication of the fact that you're looking at a sequence of frames stacked up
    Good idea...

Why do you need either? I don't see any reason for user intervention except to break up a sequence into individual stills - once per sequence.
    Only needed if someone insists that sueqntially numbered stills must be accomodated ... I'd sooner they were not - treat all such as clips in the filebin, and maybe instead provide a toolshed option to 'convert sequence to stills of x length each" for those who really must go that route.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Only needed if someone insists that sueqntially numbered stills must be accomodated ... I'd sooner they were not - treat all such as clips in the filebin, and maybe instead provide a toolshed option to 'convert sequence to stills of x length each" for those who really must go that route.
    I think we are on the same boat here, except that I can imagine such an option in the right click menu in the file bin. Also, I assume the toolshed only works for projects, not for external assets in the file bin/browser.

Cheers,
    Mike

I think we are on the same boat here, except that I can imagine such an option in the right click menu in the file bin.
    I can see that something in that vein could work - it would have to force a rebuild of some or all of the info folder content, but seems possible.
    Also, I assume the toolshed only works for projects, not for external assets in the file bin/browser.
    Yep, but I'm thinking in minimalist terms, and if as a 'simple' solution all sequences were taken as a clip, a toolshed function for the rare times I wanted to treat a sequence as stills would satisfy any practical editing need I have ... more so, really, because (speaking just for me) I simply never need to do that. Anytime I use stills, they have unique names, not incrementally numbered ones (hence no issue.)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

I can see that something in that vein could work - it would have to force a rebuild of some or all of the info folder content, but seems possible.
    Probably. Then again, the metadata seems to be smart and only rebuilds stuff for changed files.
    Yep, but I'm thinking in minimalist terms, and if as a 'simple' solution all sequences were taken as a clip, a toolshed function for the rare times I wanted to treat a sequence as stills would satisfy any practical editing need I have ...
    I see what you mean. I suppose the "use case" for this issue would be subsequently names frames (such as subtitles) that are placed one at a time in the timeline, and in that case having them as single images in the folder would be a lot more useful.

Next: in/out/money shot options for all icons please (Yes, I'm thinking of a split set-up, money shot on top, two smaller in/out icons at the bottom). And an option to scale them up in the file bin like the storyboard allows you to do...

Cheers,
    Mike

I use sequentially numbered stills all the time for picture montages. I think many other VT users do as well. There has to be a way to tell VT what the intended use is for the stills so it can handle it accordingly.
    Dynamic Video Productions
    Mount Laurel NJ

Look no further.. Mirage image loader is done right, and well conceived.. I like that..

Check it here
    http://www.balfaqih.com//Temp_Images...nce_Loader.jpg

NewTek should implement this for version 1.x

Just my 2 cent.
    Ahmed

I click, therefore I am.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast