Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Request: Track "muting"

Request: Track "muting"

Need the ability to 'disable' or 'mute' tracks via a toggle button at the left end of the time line.

Muting a track prevents it from being seen/heard in the preview or in a render. There are times when a single project/edit needs different content (like lower thirds/titles, etc.) to be rendered out or just to help alleviate "layer congestion" in the output monitor, so rather than deleting a track and saving the project as a new file, just turn the desired tracks on/off as needed.
    Dean A. Scott, mfa
    Senior 3D Animator and Graphic Design Illustrator, @ Astec, Inc.
    Owner / Lead Artist @ chrusion | FX

Thee cool evening breezes of Anytown, USA
    There are no 'tracks' in SE..

So it gets a little more complicated

Then what are those multiple lines where assets go called in the timeline? Layers? Overlays?

I understand that they are not dedicated to any particular media per traditional NLEs, which is just so cool, but the principle remains that if we can disable these "layers, overlays, channels, tracks, whatever they are" the more power we have and the better SE becomes.

Isn't it far more tricky to "translate" a multi-layered/tracked/channeled timeline into a storyboard?
    Dean A. Scott, mfa

I wouldn't want to lose the free flow of the current NLE.
    Turn on/off clip allows you to "protect line XYZ" by dragging over everything in your "protected" line and toolshed them on/off.
    But don't lose the free flow.
    Ted R. Ruiz Sr.
    Ad-Venture Video Productions
    Elite NewTek Dealer
    www.editbay.tv
    TriCasters, Most All Models
    Cameras-Mostly HVX 200's

How would muting a layer/track/channel/overlay change the free-flow way SE works? The assets are still there, treated exactly the same when editing/arranging clips in either mode, just not "piped" out to the preview or renderer.

The toolshed method does have its place and power in that you can selectively mute assets, but the intuitive workflow is not simple like clicking on a mute button. Both ways are important.

Dean A. Scott, mfa

Dean, if I understand your request, in order to turn off a track, i.e. 2a, VT would have to be programmed to only allow video, GFX or audio on those tracks would it not. Maybe I'm missing the point.
    Ted R. Ruiz Sr.
    Elite NewTek Dealer
    www.editbay.tv
    Cameras-Mostly HVX 200's

I believe that we understand the need, so I wouldn't worry about how to do it within the current confines.

As Tim likes to say, "That's not my problem, that's an engineering problem"

The feature is either needed or not, it's that simple.

I need a special signature for this forum - "My posting to this thread does NOT mean that this feature will or will not be added."
    John Perkins
    Software Engineer

"No, it's my natural color..."

I'm sorry Tim... I guess I have just way too much AE, Audition, and Vegas in me. In these and many others, you click a button on the desired layer to tell the app you don't want to see or hear whatever asset it contains. The layer/track still remains, can still be edited, it's just not visible or audible in the preview nor output to the render. I don't know how this would tie in with VT hardware.

Here's another example of why this is desired... you are editing along with several layers of dialog and a music track. You now need to add sound effects, but you can't precisely place them due to all the "noise". Muting to the rescue. Just mute the music and dialog or if an overlay is partially covering over the start of an explosion in a video layer above it, make it temporarily invisible so you can precisely align the SFX with the unhidden start of the visual effect. I'm sure you could probably do this by rewinding to the beginning of the audio clips and turning their volumes down or using the ToolShed to turn off a clip, etc. It's the immediacy of a simple single click button available on each track/layer to do the same thing that I'm talking about.

Dean A. Scott, mfa

I use Mute and Solo a lot in the edit suite.
    But most of the time only for a short moment to make descisions, unless it's a long audio track to sync.
    So the problem of shifting tracks/layers/etc isn't that annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrusion
    'm sure you could probably do this by rewinding to the beginning of the audio clips and turning their volumes down or using the ToolShed to turn off a clip, etc. It's the immediacy of a simple single click button available on each track/layer to do the same thing that I'm talking about.
    You can disable (and later re-enable) the audio associated with a video clip with a single click in the trim bay. I don't think this would really suffice for your purposes as-is though, Dean, because if the audio you mute isn't linked to a video clip, I think it disappears from the editor when you do this - no way to un-mute it later because it's really gone.

Of course it's early morning, and I haven't jump started my neurons with caffeine yet, and am away from home with only a Macbook, hence no SE to test my recollections on. But if I am correct, maybe the mute switch in the trim bay could be re-jigged to really just mute a sample without removing it from view. This woudn't be quite the same as muting a track, but that's kind of meaningless in a 'track-less' environment anyway, so maybe this would be as close as it comes.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Yes I like being able to kill the volume or the video in a certain lineup also.

I use this all the time in vegas... otherwise it sounds like the may voices of demons if you have a bunch of tracks.... when you are wotking them around....

Who is on newbie patrol this weekend> I just installed speededit and my have questions......

Sorry Ed, everyone will be at NAB. You are on your own!
    I'm sure there will be users here to help as always though!
    Ted R. Ruiz Sr.
    Elite NewTek Dealer
    www.editbay.tv
    Cameras-Mostly HVX 200's

I will play....
    I am shure in a day or so i wil fingure out if i have purchased the right solution. there ae some things that are really irriatating ad some things i like very much so far!

ed

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    I vote for track muting as well.
    So we have free tracks, which is great. It also does not stop us from manually putting audio or video into tracks, which in turn could be mutable (or soloable if there is such a word).
    Especially great if there was a way to also mute and/or lock clips on the timeline.

Track mutes would also make multi-language work a lot easier (which happens a lot here, even in smaller post boutiques like ours). A lot of industrial work is German/English for example and it would be very nice to be able to streamline that workflow.

Cheers,
    Mike

TC User Group
    If you look in VT4 Tool Shed there is a feature called Audio Types. This would be useful to create audio types and maintain the free flow editing. You could then Mute by TYPE, Voice Over, Background Audio, Sound FX, etc. Ohh, wait, that has been removed in SE. Don't count on seeing any of this anytime soon.

As John said,
    My posting to this thread does NOT mean that this feature will or will not be added.
    However you should also know that if it's not in this version, full version updates take about two years here based on past performance so that puts this anywhere from two to four years away or more.

Ivan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast