Thread: 8 core for rendering..ram needs...

8 core for rendering..ram needs...

8 core for rendering..ram needs...

with the relase of the 8 core macpro how much ram would be needed to render with 8 cores in the following sample scene?

the sample scene is my current scene on a singlecore cpu acer laptop..
    it has 1 gig ram and windows xp and the scene is 2million polys...it's renders fine!

so if i took that VERY same scene to a macpro 8 core running with bootcamp so it's on windows xp how much ram would i need to have in the system to render the very same scene but using all 8 cores?

1gig
    2 gigs
    3gigs
    4 gigs
    8 gigs

???

come on newtek tech staff...!...
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Nothing ado about much Exception's Avatar
    The same amount?

I don't think you need more memory, the cores would all be using the same data, it wouldn't be copied or anything...
    or I must be seriously wrong...

It should be the same amount. Various chip manufactures have already worked out that issue with the multi-core systems. Intel and AMD have various methods of sharing whats in RAM with all the processors. (I imagine some processor savy soul could come explain the details on the differences between Intel and AMDs memory sharing. That soul is not me though )

However if you do network rendering and intend to have each CPU run as a different node than you need enough RAM for the scene to be loaded once per processor. Meaning if you have a scene that requires about a gig of RAM while rendering than you need 8 gigs of RAM for 8 core machine.

I myself prefer to do this because it seems I get a little more efficiency and render speed by having each processor rendering a frame of the scene rather than all cores working on the same frame.
    (There used to be huge performance gains doing this with multiple processor machines. Mainly because pre LW 9.0 the multi-threading wasn't nearly as robust)

Granted 8 gigs of RAM is not cheap. But then again if your buying an 8-core mac you must have a fair amount of money.

well i'll go for ther 8 cores working on one frame esp with 9.2 as the renderer is more robust and also with 3dsmax i'd get 8 buckets kicking thru with mental ray
    with only a small memory footprint..I hope newtek adopt bucket rendering soon for their renderer.
    stee+cat

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Quote Originally Posted by cresshead
    I hope newtek adopt bucket rendering soon for their renderer.
    It's not that big a deal.
    Are my spline guides showing?

well maybe not to you!

but renderman reyes renders uses it, mental images uses it, vray uses it, brazil uses it, final render uses it so there MUST be something of a BIG DEAL in there somewhere!

bucket rendering would help with displacement renders in lightwave as well as other types of scenes/needs

what's your opinion in NOT having it?
    stee+cat

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

I don't think it's a big deal for single machines, but for network rendering... once you've gotten an 8 hour frame in 20 minutes...
    It's 'neato' to have the rendering bucket follow your mouse around during test renders in Vray, and it is handy, but I don't miss it.
    Confirmed -
    No Weapons of Mass Destruction
    or links to Al Queda or 9/11. (Sep. 2003)

= : >--[: ]===
    Bucket rendering helps in on-demand-loading of assets (models, textures, proxies, displacement, etc) to keep the memory footprint as small as possible. Each bucket only loads the things it needs and memory is selectively cleared when finished. It may be possible that one bucket sees millions of 100k proxies by which it needs way more memory then a bucket that only sees a background image. In practice because of some windows quirks it is not that easy to actually completely clear the memory after the bucket has used a peak-amount of RAM, therefore there are renderers that can arrange the bucket-order in relation to the (estimated) "difficulty" of the scene, so you can see if it crashes right in the beginning of a render and not after the image is at 99%...
    Your FIRST impression NEVER gets a SECOND chance !!!!