Thread: Frpime render quality VS LW

Frpime render quality VS LW

Does anyone know what the Fprime render quality amount should be, to get a like for like render?

e.g Quality 10 = 15 LW passes etc...

or perhaps fprime preview amount vs render quality. I know the Fprime render is supposed to be better than the preview, but some guidlines would be useful for assessing animation render times.
    i7 X3930/32GB/Quadro 4000

Quality 10 = 10 LW passes.

At least in terms of render time and the actual number of samples. However, FPrime seems to have a different method of distributing those samples, and it might not use the same pixel filter. But if 10 passes is enough in LW, about quality 10 should be enough in FPrime too.

Basically, FPrime render and Lightwave work the same way (in terms of anti-aliasing, anyway). The difference is that FPrime will save the image after every anti-aliasing pass, and keep going until you tell it to stop.
    Are my spline guides showing?

I've found that it's very scene dependent. Do a test with one frame and let it go to the level you find acceptable. Then set your FPrime to stop at that level for all frames. There's no guessing this way and you'll get the result you want.

Happy rendering!
    Allen Bussell

Quote Originally Posted by nthused
    I've found that it's very scene dependent. Do a test with one frame and let it go to the level you find acceptable. Then set your FPrime to stop at that level for all frames. There's no guessing this way and you'll get the result you want.
    You should never set FPrime to stop at any given level. Just let it refine for as long as it has time to.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
    You should never set FPrime to stop at any given level. Just let it refine for as long as it has time to.
    That doesn't really work for animations. I find that I have to have it stop at 10 or 15.

If I'm doing a still I'll let it go until the saved preview looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor49152
    That doesn't really work for animations.
    Yes, it does. FPrime will save a bunch of stills, and keep refining them until you tell it to stop. Works great.

As with anything in LW, there seems to be more than one way to get the results your after. I'll give some of these options a try and see what works out best for me.

Its a great plugin - and impressively fast with some of those new shaders!

Well worth the £200 - I can see myself saving this on the F9 RSI treatment alone
    i7 X3930/32GB/Quadro 4000

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
    Yes, it does. FPrime will save a bunch of stills, and keep refining them until you tell it to stop. Works great.
    Actually we're all correct here...What I was referring to, specifically, was using FPrime on several computers to render separate groups of frames. The only way to insure that all the frames match in quality at the end is to set them all to stop at a particular level. (That way we don't have to go into the Farm room to check the status of every group that's rendering).

If rendering on just a few machines and one doesn't have more jobs in the queue, constantly refining is likely the better way to go.

As was stated...several ways to do the same thing...Gotta love Lightwave, etc...

Happy Rendering!
    Allen Bussell

Ahh, okay. Yeah, you do have a point there.

If you have a bunch of frames that are rendered to different levels of completeness you can always run them all on a single node set to "Stop when all equal" to polish them all to the same quality level.
    "I am interested in entertaining people, in bringing ... laughter, to others, rather than being concerned with 'expressing' myself with obscure creative impressions" -Walt Disney
    Levanthia.com

Moved to LightWave - Third Party forum section.

There are already FPrime 3 threads in both LightWave - Community and LightWave v9.2 Discussions. If you would like to start additional threads, you are welcome to do so and this is the appropriate forum section for that.