Thread: Lost my dongle - no jokes please

Lost my dongle - no jokes please

Hi,

I can't find my dongle anywhere. It's been a few days and it hasn't turned up yet. Will Newtek send out a new one?

Thanks,
    Dan

What is a dongle?? how can you lose it?

Well if you play with it too much I hear it can fall off

Originally posted by dblanky
    What is a dongle?? how can you lose it?
    It's also known as a hardware lock. It's what you plug into the back of the computer when you have actually paid for the program.

And yes, I imagine if you have lost your dongle you can purchase another one from Newtek if you're a registered user.

If you have lost your dongle, they will charge you $200.00 or at least they have quoted me that price since I asked them about it. I don't like the idea of leaving things plugged into a usb port with green glowing lights. Kids have a tendency to grab stuff like that. Plus I sometimes do work on my Laptop so I switch back and forth a lot. Overtime it may break and that will cost money to but I think you mainly have to ship back the Gold CD along with the Dongle and they will make you a new one. Either way it will be a long time without being able to use the program.

I also put mine on a neck teather so it is really hard to misplace.

Luckily, I found it this morning. I'm fortunate because $200 is a lot to fork out. By the way, the neck teather is a great idea.

Thanks,
    dan

of course you can attatch it to a brick or 1m sq stone slab...pretty simple to keep an eye on...if you need an audio cue to just where it is tether it to a large tiger.

steve g
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Originally posted by hrgiger
    It's also known as a hardware lock. It's what you plug into the back of the computer when you have actually paid for the program.
    LOL!
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

John Fornasar
    Either way it will be a long time without being able to use the program
    Not really... the policy (at least a few years ago) for a broken dongle was that they would send it back the same way it came...

overnight it there, they overnight it back.

Even if the policy changed, any company will ship the way you want, even if you have to pay a little bit extra for it.