Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Total Lunar Eclipse

Those of us on the West coast of the US missed out.
    Lamont G
    Artist Ubisoft Osaka/大阪

Quote Originally Posted by KillMe
    just come in from watching it - its in total ecilpse now - watched it as it came upto it so dont think i'll bother waiting for it to come out the otherside

cool though - shame cant take a pic of it though =/ - need a long exposure and proballya tripod rigged to track the moons movement or it would streak

anyway cool stuff

It's all I've was able to capture. I went out too late. May be next time. I use my Nikon D70 with a 17-300mm lens. You'll need a tripod specially with long focal length but not the long exposure. Plenty of light on the moon for the picture. Just use more sensitivity on film or in this case dial up the ISO settings. Trailing is more apparent with the stars when using unguided exposures or long focal length.

Pentium IV 3.4Ghz, 2GB of RAM, ATI FireGL V7100, Windows XP Pro ( 32 bit ) SP2, Lightwave OB14.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MoonEclipse.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	158.7 KB 
ID:	43360  

Excellent image, I love how close you were able to get. I tried once few years ago with my Canon G3. Nice but small. I think the max zoom for the lens was about 140mm.
    Silk
    Silkrooster.com - temporarily offline due to updating...
    Spinquad Forum - Closed Sorry...
    lightwave-resources.pdf - - temporarily offline due to updating...

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar
    I remember doing a pic of the moon way way back usign a 300mm lens with a matched 3X converter, it did give me a buzz, even if the clarity wasn't so good as I didn't have a tripod so just leant on my mums back wall
    Too old to die young.

May the sauce be with you starbase1's Avatar
    I used to do a lot of astro photography back in film and chemical days, a real pain! Maybe I should give it another go.

Getting the ophots printed was the real adventure, the number of places that could not cope with almost completely black frames... In the end I found 2 solutions that worked well.

1. Go to an expensive professional outfit where they would actually listen.

2. Go to one of those dead cheap 30 minute photo places where you couldd actuallty talk to the guy who would print them!

Incidentally, if someone wants to get a bit more ambitious, I suggest trying for the first quarter moon, (half lit), when you will get tons of crater detail.

The easiest way to get photos through a telescope (or binoculars come to that), is the afocal technique. Focus the bins or scope at infinity, (this tends to happen naturally when you focus by eye if your eyes are reasonably normal), then point your digital camera down the eyepiece, default zoom, without touching it. Use a landscape or panorama setting so the camera will also focus on infinity, and won't try and use a flash. It may take a few goes, but these days you can see the results instantly.

In a bad run with film I could get through several rolls with barely one usable shot if I was going for deep sky stuff. Mind you it was fiun explaining to the conventional types that you used a 3 minute exposure, focal length 12 metres, f48...

Nick
    Faith is the opposite of Intelligence.

Touched by his noodley appendage!
    My Lightwave Graphics & Downloads!!!

I could see it perfectly in Edinburgh. Bit distracted though as I was trying to pour my wife into the car after a dinner party at a friend's. Something 'disagreed' with her.

Always find these occasions a bit humbling though. Makes you remember how small a part we play in everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain
    ... pour my wife into the car
    LOL! I can just soooo see that!

My photos are a bit crap to be honest, despite using a tripod, and setting the focus to infinity, my IXUS 400 just couldn't figure out what the hell I was trying to photograph!

<-- Needs an SLR camera!
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Quote Originally Posted by starbase1
    I used to do a lot of astro photography back in film and chemical days, a real pain! Maybe I should give it another go.

Getting the ophots printed was the real adventure, the number of places that could not cope with almost completely black frames... In the end I found 2 solutions that worked well.

1. Go to an expensive professional outfit where they would actually listen.

2. Go to one of those dead cheap 30 minute photo places where you couldd actuallty talk to the guy who would print them!

Incidentally, if someone wants to get a bit more ambitious, I suggest trying for the first quarter moon, (half lit), when you will get tons of crater detail.

The easiest way to get photos through a telescope (or binoculars come to that), is the afocal technique. Focus the bins or scope at infinity, (this tends to happen naturally when you focus by eye if your eyes are reasonably normal), then point your digital camera down the eyepiece, default zoom, without touching it. Use a landscape or panorama setting so the camera will also focus on infinity, and won't try and use a flash. It may take a few goes, but these days you can see the results instantly.

In a bad run with film I could get through several rolls with barely one usable shot if I was going for deep sky stuff. Mind you it was fiun explaining to the conventional types that you used a 3 minute exposure, focal length 12 metres, f48...

Nick
    Hmmm. I should give that a try sometime. I have a small scope, I don't recall the power, but maybe I could get something out of it.
    Silk
    Silkrooster.com - temporarily offline due to updating...
    Spinquad Forum - Closed Sorry...
    lightwave-resources.pdf - - temporarily offline due to updating...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12