Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Lightwave 9.2 new features demos...

I have just seen the movie spin anim, I dont often post here but all I can say is

B E A utiful!!

I N F I N I T E

Realy amazing what you can do with those new shaders.
    Keep up the tests! I'm loving it !

Valu Vasconcelos
    Valu Animation Studios
    www.valu.com.br
    Rio de Janeiro - Brasil
    http://vimeo.com/97776292

Love love LOVE this! I've been playing with your surface settings on some other models and tweaking the settings and they can look vastly different depending on the complexity and faces of the objects even with little changes.

So of course it would be very cool if you released your sample scenes/objects/nodes to play with.

Nonplanar Triangle Quantenschaum's Avatar
    to be honest: although these are some nice renders, especially the Sigma, Delta, Dielectric ones, i really don't see the point of using CONDUCTOR to do dried-up pistacchio ice cream. i mean, it's really a metal shader y'know. also the light pink adobeish skin... i dunno (well... actually i do). ;-)

Loved the Scene   :)
    just some comments for those who wants to pick it apart >

LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    Loved the Scene   :)
    just some comments for those who wants to pick it apart >

Haha, talk about resurrecting the dead!

Nice walkthrough, btw...
    If i recall correctly i baked most of the things there, in order to speed up the rendering of the room and only left the Dragon materials to render normally...
    Fortunately (for me) 10 years ago i jumped the wagon and become a Max user, but i may give the original scene a tryout once LW get some proper lighting engine in there...

Cheers everyone...
    T.Rex

yes, the environment was baked, so had to tinker about that one   :)
    it's a great scene for learning about the node setup.

don't think i'll ever go Max personally, but what do you like most about Max? just curious   :)

again, thank you for sharing the scene, created October 10, 2008   :D  

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    yes, the environment was baked, so had to tinker about that one   :)
    it's a great scene for learning about the node setup.

don't think i'll ever go Max personally, but what do you like most about Max? just curious   :)

again, thank you for sharing the scene, created October 10, 2008   :D  

Went to Max firstly, for Vray...
    Then slowly i migrated everything i knew from LW to Max; wasn't easy and the first years i kept going back to LW for doing stuff.

It's not always greener on the other side, but LW's evolution was non existent and i had to follow the flow at that time in order to stay competitive as a freelancer...
    About 10 years later LW still is trying hard to catch up and looks so far behind that probably never will...

Now, don't get me wrong; i still love LW and was bread and butter for me for 15 years at least.
    But, i had to make a choice back then, to let go and learn new software to expand my workflows.
    At that time, Vray was king; now days still is, but has a lot of competition as well, which is a good thing.

What i like in Max? The choices...
    I get to choose among 10 different renderers, all producing high quality results.
    I can render scenes with billion of particles with Krakatoa.
    I get to use Maya as a plugin for cloth sims, with a click of a button from inside Max.
    Mudbox and MotionBuilder a single click in and out of Max, as well.
    The numerous production-proven plugins and tools Max has; Frost, Krakatoa, TP, Vray, PhoenixFD, FumeFX, RayFire, ForestPack, Ornatrix and many more.

Cost wise of course, is a totally different ballpark than LW and it is super hard to keep up with all the updates and stuff.
    If i was to start learning a new software today, that would be Houdini for sure.
    Everything you need inside the main app; no need for plugins or anything, other than maybe Arnold cause Mantra is slow as death...

Cheers,
    T.Rex

yes, LightWave certainly came to a halt, it's been good for this and that though.
    luckily some plugins came along the way to the rescue... (3rdPowers, Turbulence, Advanced Placement, etc, DPont plugins, etc...)

The choices...
    thought you might say something like that, for FX, Max is quite cool.

thanks for answering, you have some pretty cool videos so knowing your workflow is quite interesting.  :)

One thing I've always found frustrating with lighting in LW is the absence of any real-world calibration for lighting output. IMO, it can be difficult to maintain realism when you have no way to relate LW light/luminosity output to real-world values, esp. for interior scenes.

Gregg, any feelings on that?
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Here we go with the 'behind' thing again.. compared with what exactly? I wonder how well some of you remember (let's say) Lightwave 5, for instance? Which was about ..oh.. 1996 (the time of certain Star Trek TV series BTW)? My point is.. LW have pretty much *always* been "behind" programs like 3DS Max. I know, I was one of the alpha users for Max back in 1995, during its initial development. C4D V4 (for instance) also was more advanced back in 1996. As was 'Real 3D' (which btw is a shining example of a software developed by excellent theorists, with no experience in creating user friendly UI) The reason someone uses any application, is because of workflow. And for me LW, have pretty much always stood for ease of use. It have lowered the bar between creativity, and the speed of which I can get to results. For me... not necessarily for you. And btw.. Max renderers have always been horrible. Color calibration is usually handled in comp.. but yeah.. eyeballing that is how it is done.
    Last edited by MichaelT; 01-16-2017 at 10:33 PM.

Just to point something out. I of course mean Max native renderers, not Arnold, Mental Ray etc.. which are from third parties For me that LW is having a native renderer that is as good as it really is.. is a major winning point (again, for me personally) Max is something I had to use because of work. I always felt I had to fight it, to get things done. It isn't bad though, but just feels like it is 'wrong' in my hands. More often than not, I turned to LW for creating things. Then bring those things back into whatever I was using at that time. But I was out of touch with LW for some time though, since I didn't (up until recently) had a license of my own. And since I have been out of touch, I don't really feel it is as 'behind' as some think it is. There are a few things missing, that I would like to have in it naturally. But not deal breakers in any way. But since I am lucky enough these days to be able to use nearly every tool out there, I might have a different outlook on things. If I am to rank them I'd say for creation (not animation) C4D, 3DSMax, Modo, ZBrush, 3D-Coat, Maya, Lightwave, Blender, Houdini. When animation comes into the picture.. Maya jumps to 1st position. If FX comes into the picture.. Houdini is a solid 1st, followed by C4D. Just my very personal list

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelT View Post
    Just to point something out. I of course mean Max native renderers, not Arnold, Mental Ray etc.. which are from third parties
    Just a quick nit-pick: Autodesk owns SolidAngle, so Arnold is not "third-party"/"external" anymore w.r.t. Max or Maya.

Also, since "internal" and external Max and Maya render engines all use the same APIs regardless, they don't really have the same kind of semantic distinction between "native" and "external" as exists for LW (where the "native" render engine accesses APIs/data unavailable to "external" render engines).
    Last edited by jwiede; 01-17-2017 at 08:03 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    One thing I've always found frustrating with lighting in LW is the absence of any real-world calibration for lighting output. IMO, it can be difficult to maintain realism when you have no way to relate LW light/luminosity output to real-world values, esp. for interior scenes.
    Agreed 1000%. Throw in IES lights and the "calibration" that one may have cobbled together that yields a believable result goes right out the airlock. Lewis has posted about the levels he uses on them that are way above native lights in order to be consistent.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Just a quick nit-pick: Autodesk owns SolidAngle, so Arnold is not "third-party"/"external" anymore w.r.t. Max or Maya.

Also, since "internal" and external Max and Maya render engines all use the same APIs regardless, they don't really have the same kind of semantic distinction between "native" and "external" as exists for LW (where the "native" render engine accesses APIs/data unavailable to "external" render engines).
    True, the closed nature of the renderer have indeed annoyed me too. It would offer LW so much more, if that was made more accessible.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast