Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3D Paint Software

3D Paint Software

Hello,

I'm thinking of purchasing some 3D Paint software for use in texturing Lightwave 3D 9 models.

Can anybody suggest which of the various commercial packages best integrates with Lightwave 3D 9?

Kind Regards
    Dave

Or you could go the cheaper route and purchase Zbrush, which has painting and sculpting. Handling models is sometimes a bit more tricky, but it works pretty well.
    Last edited by lilrayray77; 02-15-2007 at 06:38 AM.
    -Andy Michaels

+ =

Keep in mind that modo will get displacement "painting" (kind of like Mudbox) in a future release. Nobody knows when, though.
    Are my spline guides showing?

The Arts are alive in me tonybliss's Avatar
    modo ... modo ... modo .... hmmm!!

At best i am considering bodypaint 3.

yeah - modo works pretty good - great UV unwrap as well =)
    Last edited by Steve McRae; 02-15-2007 at 02:03 PM.
    Steve McRae
    www.atomworks.com
    www.vertexmonkey.com - resources for Luxology's modo

*Zbrush 2 infomercial*

Buy Zbrush 2.0 now and get your update to 2.5 free. 2.5 will have projection painting in real time and a whole ton more. The best bang for the buck in my opinion if you want to make organic models, but that's not all, Zbrush 2.5 is coming soon to a server near you!

Oh, and it will be 64 bit as well as 32 bit.
    Last edited by jasonwestmas; 02-15-2007 at 02:55 PM.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Yeah, Deep Paint 3D is even worse...it's a nice piece of software, but I wish they would offer a decent video tutorial or two, helping new users quickly get up and running with it. Sort of like Zbrush or BodyPaint 3D...no shortage of tutorials with them.
    They say they are going to release an update or upgrade "soon" as well...we'll see.

There was a mention of 2.5 when they announced the 64 bit version. It seems they're going to announce in less than a month something about 2.5... My guess is that they're a year away and to go get mudbox

Speaking as a 2 owner I wish they'd get the darn thing out!
    Last edited by Dodgy; 02-16-2007 at 02:57 AM.
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

Quote Originally Posted by neverko
    LOL, they've been promising ZBrush 2.5 "soon" for the last two years. It's almost classifiable as vaporware.

But I think Mudbox is good for some competition, as now they (Pixologic) have to pull their fingers out of whereever they're stuck.

Not that I don't think that ZB 2.5 will be awesome, it most certainly will. The feature set looks extremely promising. Much more so than Mudbox.
    Yeah, it's been quite the joke how long it's been taking; PIXO must be givin Z a major face lift. It is true like Dodgy said, that there was a recent announcement a couple of days ago that 2.5 will be out soon and will be 64 bit. It will be a competative set of features and not just vapor, I'm pretty positive on that. I started using ZB back when it was v.5 and was only a 2.5D paint program. ZB was around $150 if you bought it before v1.0 came out. Each update after that was pretty amazing. I never imagined what it would turn into, so I guess I can only imagine the jump from 2 to 2.5.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Until all those packages come out or dont and maybe to get a little taste of how painting on a 3d object feels like (personally it felt kinda odd to me when I tried it and not like I expected it to be),you can give UV Chalk a try. It is not as sophisticated as Modo, Zbrush, etc, but it works directly in LW and best of all, it is free!
    http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=2069
    CU
    Elmar
    Yes, my Avatar shows a volume rendering...
    VoluMedic Creative Edition only USD 299 !
    www.volumedic.com

elmar, that's quite the little weapon you've come across. the site in general had a bunch of stuff. go to flay often and must've missed it somehow. thanks for the heads up. not quite as powerful as zbrush's "perposed" painting ability. but i have it "now" and it was free, both of which are a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonwestmas
    I never imagined what it would turn into, so I guess I can only imagine the jump from 2 to 2.5.
    They said it was going to be a bigger "forward leap" for this point release than it was for any previous version. My guess is that there will be a few more added features than what's been advertised in the videos shown since those videos have been out for quite a while with plenty of testing time. Just a guess though.

I use ZBrush a lot for illustration so I hope they've modified the rendering engine to be a bit more versatile. It can create some really exceptional renders, but has some limitations for lighting and materials.
    Christopher Tackett
    www.loadedbrush.com

modo really gave me what i needed and always wanted in 3D paint

I also used Zbrush before 201 was release Zbrush has goodness But that interface is easy to forget so workflow doesn't come easy I much prefer Modo
    and the modeling toolset adds to it's joy,

( I emailed Zbrush with all info and still have not got a win 64 download ... the waiting for Zbrush 2.5 is turning into a Bad joke )

Bodypaint I have not tried.
    Last edited by t4d; 02-16-2007 at 09:39 PM.
    Thomas4D creations
    Creating stuff that's not really real....!?!

thomas4d.com Free 3D game I made
    Thomas4D Rigging Tools plugins
    [email protected]
    Icq - 329 905 137

I tried Bodypaint when version 2 came out. I had a much harder time learning it than ZBrush. I liked that you could paint in several "channels" at once, but the interface just seemed overly complicated.

I haven't tried Modo yet. But I will soon.
    Christopher Tackett
    www.loadedbrush.com

Yeah, it's funny, when I first used the full 3D version of ZBrush v1.5 I really thought it was an awkward program, after a while it just came to me naturally so picking up ZB2 was a walk in the park. It was the same going from animation master to lightwave to max to maya to motion builder then just recently to XSI. XSI is still awkward yet It just comes down to making the hot keys and menus/buttons work the way you feel comfortable, which can be a real pain to setup but necessary. Of course I know you guys already realize that.

Also, I'm primarily speaking as a modeler and rigger so you know. . .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast