Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Speededit interface very slow

We just discovered one odd thing that some people may experience. If you have updated Media Player, but never opened the new version, SpeedEDIT may be slow and may not display video in the output window.

This can happen either by deliberately updating or by Windows auto update.

If you suspect this is the case, open Media Player and if it asks you to answer questions, as it does on it's initial launch, answer them.

The next time SpeedEDIT is opened, it should run correctly.

This may not be the problem in this case, but I thought it was good information to get into the public.
    John Perkins
    Software Engineer

"No, it's my natural color..."

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Perkins
    We just discovered one odd thing that some people may experience. If you have updated Media Player, but never opened the new version, SpeedEDIT may be slow and may not display video in the output window.

This can happen either by deliberately updating or by Windows auto update.

If you suspect this is the case, open Media Player and if it asks you to answer questions, as it does on it's initial launch, answer them.

The next time SpeedEDIT is opened, it should run correctly.

This may not be the problem in this case, but I thought it was good information to get into the public.
    John, that isn't the case here. SE still doesn't work....Roger

Newbie Member
    You know this sounds awfully like the vob problem I was having, just having certain files in a directory browser slowed SE down to a crawl and pegged the cpu.

Anyway, even if it is the same problem, I have not heard anything new on the issue.

John?

Jean, just out of curiosity, do you see any processes spawning and chewing up cpu time right around when the slow down occurs, looking in task manager?

Also out of curiosity, does your mpeg have more than one audio stream attached?

tom

Hi tbsy.

I checked.
    No processes spawning and chewing up cpu time.
    No more than one audio stream attached.

Jean

Help got the fix, but renders 4.54 hours for 1hr avi?

Whow, what happened to SPEEDEDit?
    It took 4.54 hours to render 1hr 28 minutes of avi file I captured using speededit, did the boot.ini to see 3gigs of ram, I have 4 gigs in system
    Getting many error messages
    system amd 64 x2 dual core
    dual sli nvidia
    10,000 rpm drives. NO raids setups, 2 terabits 6 drives

help
    HELP
    Please
    get speededit hasa problem error and closes speededit.
    sometimes it will not open it looks ups

BTW this is a brand new system
    xp pro sp2 all drivers nd updates are done.

Newbie Member
    John, previously you asked me about my video driver, SE still not working, any suggestions?

Roger

Newbie Member
    John,

We finally gave up and swapped the Graphics card. Replaced a GeForce 6600 with a 7300 and everything works fine now.

Newbie Member

Same problem for me.

I have the same problem too. I have done Ivan's tip and now works ok. I also noticed that this problem is connected with some clips (maybe some codecs)
    I dont think its an card issue.
    I have a quadro FX4500 on an HP9300 xith XP64. I also tried many drivers.

Newbie Member
    Even though I posted "we changed the card and now everything works fine", as it turned out that wasn't true. It only seemed to solve the problem. The next day the same sloooooooow problem reoccurred. I never was convinced it was the graphic card; the model is just too popular.
    We did figure out what it was. I should say we figured out what caused the problem, and how to avid it BUT not why it occurs. We are a NewTek dealer and have a number of systems on a network. One of the storage devices is an Intel Network storage unit. That is mapped to my computer as "drive S". If that device appears anywhere in the media bin, SE stops! Got that? I don't have to be addressing the drive, just have it shown. For example if I click "My Computer" in the media bin, all my drives, including "S" will show up. At that moment SE will slow to a crawl. Click any other drive to open a folder, therefore making the "S" not show in the bin...and it's back to normal.

Figure that one out.

Bottom line, I avoid have my "S" drive showing in any of the windows and SE works fantastic..

Interesting - maybe the particular problem in your case has to do with SE (and VT) automatically creating and populating a NewTek Info folder for every directory it sees, and it's choking on that array for some reason ... like maybe it has a lot of large files on it, or perhaps there is a drive in the array that is dog slow and pulling the bandwidth down dramatically. Just a thought...
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Hmm I too have issues with the general SE interface being very slow.

And indeed it does seem to be about the generation of thumbnails, in fact I wish I could stop SE generating thumbnail-directories in EVERY folder on my computer :\

I see the stuttering happen with a lot of different file types though, from avi (divx/xvid) to .mov (qt7) files.
    Externally encoded mpg2 files work fine.

I changed the recommended Nvidia Forceware driver 93.81 (I think) for an unofficially tweaked ("NOD") 97.92, and see some improvement to the overall SE interface speed...
    This all on a Dual Xeon 3.2ghz and an 6800 GTX based video card.

now Se crashes always on opening capture, BUT

Quote Originally Posted by Denis G La Bine
    Whow, what happened to SPEEDEDit?
    It took 4.54 hours to render 1hr 28 minutes of avi file I captured using speededit, did the boot.ini to see 3gigs of ram, I have 4 gigs in system
    Getting many error messages
    system amd 64 x2 dual core
    dual sli nvidia
    10,000 rpm drives. NO raids setups, 2 terabits 6 drives

help
    HELP
    Please
    get speededit hasa problem error and closes speededit.
    sometimes it will not open it looks ups

BTW this is a brand new system
    xp pro sp2 all drivers nd updates are done.
    Ok I get the error to report to Micrsoft about SpeedEdit Error.
    this happens always now,
    1) open capture speedEdit Error to send to windows
    2) Click on send report and wham SE disapears Gone
    3) restart SpeedEdit after a new reboot
    4) Open Capture, same error to report to microsoft
    5) I select DOn't send
    6)SE now captures the video ntsc DV with NO problems, But
    7) scrowling down to see the clicks it captured, I get SpeedEdit disapears, gone baby, very odd.
    8) reboot, open speedEdit, all previous projects listings are GONE, empty
    9) I select Ntsc DV and start capturing clips with autoChop even after the error appears, I do Nothing, don't select eith send a report or don't send, I let it just HANG their as I capture.
    VERY weird, all files and updates are done, this new crashes happened afte MICROSOFTS Emmergency critical updates

Slow Drive Access

Dragon Lee

You hit my problem on the head, I thought it was just SpeedEdit in general that was slow, but I think it is down to the way it reads drives and builds thumbnails on drives. I am using a SAN harddrive solution which is tailored to large file read and writes and is getting around 400MB per second using MetaSan software, but it is not set up for small file access. When running SpeedEdit accessing this drive, it is just hideously slow, particularly with M2t files and thumbnails, in fact SpeedEdit is pretty much unusable in this scenario.

I am guessing that it is not just me in this scenario, and all my other editing software doesn't behave this badly.

I am not sure what my solution is from here, I have purchased 2 seats of SpeedEdit to use on our SAN, and I just can't use it, at all.

Any ideas anyone or NewTek. ??

Matt

Wow SpeedEdit dead now

Always got SpeedEdit error to tell micrsoft, did that many times, NOW when New Problem is this once SpeedEdit did work I did some render stills to jpg , I THOUGHT but they became this new file .jpg. Now says Newtek Info folder, what is that all about?

Any time you enter a folder from the SE (or VT-Edit) Filebin, it creates a hidden Newtek Info folder. This folder contains the files necessary for thumbnail images, audio waveform, etc., that wil be used in the SE interface.

Thumbnails are stored as .jpg files. If you manually create a JPEG named myfile.jpg in a folder named MyImages, and then view it from the filebin, that folder will contain 1) your orginal JPEG, and 2) a NewTek Info folder with (among other things) a file named "myfile.jpg.jpg."

I think you may be confusing the latter files with your originals.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast