Thread: MD5 (Doom3) format

Newbie Member

MD5 (Doom3) format

Hi,

Is there a converter/plugin for LightWave so that I can store my LWO meshes and LWS animations to the MD5 format (used by Doom3/Quake4)?

I found a converter on a Doom3 discussion forum, but that tool didn't work, and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. But maybe there's another tool?

If not, is it difficult to write your own exporter (probably a question for the script section here)? I have programming experience, but not that much time. The MD5 format is simple, but I never tried writing a exporter plugin for LightWave. I need data from the mesh, texcoords, groups, bones, and so on. Maybe there is a nice tutorial for that?

greetings,
    Rick

Far better bet is to use the blender md5 exporter. The lws plugin was only ever a halfa$$ed alpha someone cooked up in his bedroom.
    You can import lightwave objects straight into doom though.
    Lightwave always gets left in the dust when it comes to animation importers for game engines. Maya, max and blender all have excellent md5 exporters. Some of them even support vertex animation.
    Last edited by oDDity; 02-11-2007 at 05:53 PM.

Newbie Member
    >The lws plugin was only ever a halfa$$ed alpha someone cooked up in his bedroom.

Indeed

Well, I only need an exporter. I'm not using it for Doom at all. I asked which animated format is nice for games, and people answered with "MD5". So I wrote an importer for my engine. But it's not very usefull if there's no program to export them of course.

Blender is free right? Can't hurt to try it. Another friend is doing his work in Maya, but we haven't found a exporter for that yet. I believe the Doom SDK has an expoter for maya, but that requires Doom3 I guess, and a license probably, if we ever can make our game/engine commercial.

greetings,
    Rick