Thread: No surfaces after importing .obj files

No surfaces after importing .obj files

Hi There,
    I guess this is a common problem, and please excuse my ignorance as I am a newbie but.... When I import a .obj file that I purchased at turbosquid.com into LW 9 modeler none of the supplied surfaces stay attached.

The surface editor windows lists all the models surfaces (as were created by the artist) but every surface is just set to the default LW gray default surface without any UV image maps or original surface properties applied.

Is there a way to relink all the correct surface properties (transparency, specularity etc etc..)and UV map images into LW9?

All the required UV map images are in the same folder as the purchased .obj file but no .mtl file was included (I am not sure if this is the problem.)

Thanks in advance for any help,
    Cheers,
    Mas

The MTL file is needed.

LightWave does not read the MTL file.

Search the forums as Dodgy has a free plugin which will read the MTL file and create the surfaces.

Wayne

Unfortunately no .mtl was included with the file.

If you are on a PC, download AccuTrans 3D from
    http://www.micromouse.ca/

The OBJ file will be divided into a number of layers in AccuTrans. One layer for each material. By test loading the UV image maps into each layer, you can discover which map belongs with each layer.

In the "Save Object With Options" dialog box select "LightWave (huge objects)" and check the "UV" checkbox. The saved LWO file will have the UV coordinates and associated image maps.

In LightWave you will have to set transparancy, color, etc. by guess as that information is in the missing MTL file.

Wayne

Thanks for the tip MicroMouse,

AccuTrans 3D is an excellent looking program that you have created over there. I must commend you on its $20 price tag and its software protection paradigm as well.

In this instance turbosquid have just emailed me the .obj files translated into .lwo files which is really cool of them.

When I get to see the light of day again after this project I will defiantly check out AccuTrans 3D. The part that really interested me was the 3d text extrusion module. I am forever creating shonky bad bevels in text and on first glance AccuTrans 3D looks it might cover some of the mess I tend to create.

Cheers,
    Mas

Agree, that was very nice of turbosquid to email you the LWO files.

Wayne