Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thing I would like to see for NAB

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    DVE's on overlays
    Animated Mask or just mask (this really sucks that is does not do masking)
    Sub Project to have all functions of the control tree
    CG with more animation capability and the ability to make a preset
    Re-vamped Tool Shed

and a new one, spline tools.
    Spline Tools will allow presets to be made for a spline and open from the spline editor.
    One Preset could be oscillator.
    When you click on oscillator, a dialog box open asking;
    Min. Max. values
    Frame interval
    Checkbox for radomize
    Checkbox for Start on Max.
    And then the normal scale, start or at end apply.
    Well maybe this could just be added to the tool shed and be wizard like the markers section.
    Another would be Music Amplitude.

This Spline tool shed would make splines pasted into what ever branch of the control tree you have visible in the spline editor.

Yeah I ask a lot

Take care,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    OK, what else beyond the VTP loader for TMPGEnc and a HD authoring solution as I mentioned earlier in the thread...

Well... I'm quite happy to report that Newtek has solved the major showstopper HDV bugs that I, and a select few other users, had been hitting. Those should be fixed in the boxed software that is shipping.

So, I guess another wish of mine for NAB is that the remainder of bugs, which aren't as many and aren't as great, are also gone for NAB. That seems quite feasible to me.

Cause I still think that rock solid stability with a lack of bugs is frankly more important than new features. I want SE as solid as my VT[4] is, and my VT[4] is totally solid.

As for other new features, well...

VST plug-in support. This would solve MOST of the audio issues in SpeedEDIT, in terms of it not having powerful audio support currently. Just think, once VST support is implemented, Newtek NEVER needs to worry about doing new audio filters EVER again.

Interpolated slow motion. This is something that was originally planned as a feature in SpeedEDIT 1.0, but didn't make it there. It was listed in the original marketing releases on SpeedEDIT. It is a feature that a lot of videographers, especially wedding and event, really need for highlight recaps and such. Not that there aren't plenty of other uses for it, too.

A way to set the SPEED of scrolls. The scroll quality in SpeedEDIT is GORGEOUS. But there is currently NO WAY to do more than one scroll and have them at the same SPEED. This is more important to me than stretching a scroll on the timeline, frankly. Matching speeds is something I need much more often.

A dropped frame detection method. I simply can't trust SpeedEDIT playing DV in real-time out the firewire as a "safe" signal to record if SpeedEDIT doesn't have a "stop on dropped frames" feature. Like VT, SpeedEDIT does NOT currently have this ability for playing through the firewire.

Subprojects with FULL control tree ability, like a normal clip, AND AUDIO WAVEFORMS VISIBLE ON SUBPROJECTS.

Finally, a feature that I don't have yet, but will in the near future. A feature that I feel is as important to SpeedEDIT this year as getting HDV support promised last year. And that is, FULL MXF SUPPORT for XDCAM HD and P2 systems. These are the new formats becoming more and more popular right now that SpeedEDIT MUST support to be a professional tool.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

Newbie Member

Trim window

Do not forget trim window. Try to do some speed editing with 1 hour footage? On timeline? Impossible!
    I prefer emulating the "old school" film-cutting workflow.
    Now, all our customers (VT4) use two copy of VT-Edit. One for trimming and one for final editing.

Mirage 2D animator
    Is this true? Is it not possible to cut and trim within the timeline??!!
    -Paul

Newbie Member
    This is, of course, possible but not fast. When you operate with several long clips (30 min. or more) it's much easyer to have separate trim window.

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    Though I'm sure people used to the "old school" method of trimming may like their method, that's to be expected. And I'm not saying it's not a good idea to have a trim window for people who want it, but it really goes against the style of SpeeEDIT.

Newtek took a clean approach to their NLE design. They simply don't need a trimming window, that's a very "linear" kind of legacy style. For instance, the majority of my projects are two hour projects, often with one hour long clips in them. The trimming on the time line inside of SpeedEDIT is much easier than using a separate trimmer window, which would take me more steps to do the same thing.

Hard to believe, but most other NLEs don't even support setting I/O points directly on the timeline! Instead, you need to use a trimmer window, and go through more steps.

In SpeedEDIT all your trimming tools: I/O point setting, cutting, slip/slide editing, are all right there in the timeline without needing a trimmer or even dedicated "tools" that you need to grab first. That's much more efficent, IMHO.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

Mirage 2D animator
    Well, you had me confused because I took timeline cutting as the emulation of old-school film cutting (which is the way I am used to working).
    -Paul

Visually Developed Monkey cholo's Avatar
    For those huge clips, you can always drop them on a blank segment of the timeline, slice and dice them into smaler more manageable clips and alt-drag them back into the filebin for future use

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpioProd
    Though I'm sure people used to the "old school" method of trimming may like their method, that's to be expected. And I'm not saying it's not a good idea to have a trim window for people who want it, but it really goes against the style of SpeeEDIT.

Newtek took a clean approach to their NLE design. They simply don't need a trimming window, that's a very "linear" kind of legacy style. For instance, the majority of my projects are two hour projects, often with one hour long clips in them. The trimming on the time line inside of SpeedEDIT is much easier than using a separate trimmer window, which would take me more steps to do the same thing.

Hard to believe, but most other NLEs don't even support setting I/O points directly on the timeline! Instead, you need to use a trimmer window, and go through more steps.

In SpeedEDIT all your trimming tools: I/O point setting, cutting, slip/slide editing, are all right there in the timeline without needing a trimmer or even dedicated "tools" that you need to grab first. That's much more efficent, IMHO.

Why cant NT put a trim option for "old school" people... Itīs like saying this is the way to do it and if you dont you are wrong old boy... Lets face the fact that in most cases people are trained on Avid, or FCP.. Then they look for a tool they can understand and not having to learn ones again.. Please NT give Speededit/VT5 a trim window function. The editors that not want to use it dont have to....

chribba

Hi All,

I think that this has gotten off topic here...and in fact scaring a few...

1) Even thou some say that you can't pre trim etc...as stated "oldSchool" ways...are not correct....

there are several ways to work this way in SE and VT...in fact a user...(yes I stated user) even created a UI skin to do just that...as well as there are other ways as Cholo even pointed out.

2) NT has MPT stated or even implied that pre-trimming is wrong ... they infact have given us in one UI more than 6 workflows and ways of working...we can then choose what is needed for a specific project or what works for us.

Paul and others...do NOT worry....once you get into SE...you will see that there is NOTHING to fear or concern you with the basics of editing...it will actually liberate you from time consuming workflows if you give it a chance...yet will still allow you to work the way you want.

Cheers,
    Last edited by radams; 02-08-2007 at 08:30 AM.
    Ray Adams
    FX and Production Supervisor

Hi All,

I think that this has gotten off topic here...and in fact scaring a few...

1) Even thou some say that you can't pre trim etc...as stated "oldSchool" ways...are not correct....

there are several ways to work this way in SE and VT...in fact a user...(yes I stated user) even created a UI skin to do just that...as well as there are other ways as Cholo even pointed out.

2) NT has NOT stated or even implied that pre-trimming is wrong ... they infact have given us in one UI more than 6 workflows and ways of working...we can then choose what is needed for a specific project or what works for us.

Paul and others...do NOT worry....once you get into SE...you will see that there is NOTHING to fear or concern you with the basics of editing...it will actually liberate you from time consuming workflows if you give it a chance...yet will still allow you to work the way you want.

Cheers,
    Last edited by radams; 02-08-2007 at 08:38 AM.
    Ray Adams
    FX and Production Supervisor

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    Yeah your right.
    Even my early reply was more of a feature list and unrealistic for NAB.

So I guess besides being stable, like Eugene said, I would like to see SE output through the VT card and maybe other cards.

Not much to ask since VT[5] should be this way, right?

Take care,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Mirage 2D animator
    Paul ...do NOT worry....once you get into SE...
    I do not worry, nor WORRY, I am just curious and that should be taken care of today when I get my new card hopefully installed. I am actually looking forward to discovering the merits of a storyboard as editing tool.
    -Paul

One more thing I REALLY want to see at NAB...that lovely "Hard 8" on the craps table...when I've got a Franklin on it of course.
    Ted R. Ruiz Sr.
    Ad-Venture Video Productions
    Elite NewTek Dealer
    www.editbay.tv
    TriCasters, Most All Models
    Cameras-Mostly HVX 200's

I'd like to see native support for VC1 and H.264.
    and the ability to read in frame sequences without crashing.
    Best Regards,
    Zareh

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast