Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SpeedEdit and Activation

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon
    As John mentioned, NewTek has to pay other companies license fees for every copy of SE that gets installed.
    Installed, copied or run? If I copy the program to another computer (without ever running it) - does that violate the license?

To be quite honest... it the third party license term explicitly state fees for every copy that gets installed, and not for every running license sold - then I'd surely fire my legal department Hard to tell without reading the license agreements.

A dongle would be a good way to ensure that a license only is run once.

As a practical example:
    We're a two person boutique, but have 5 main computers we use, a laptop each, a workstation each and a dedicated editing system.
    To use SE effectively we'd need 5 licenses while we only need 2 LW licenses?

Cheers,
    Mike

Once installed, the codecs are available for other programs.

Now, does the activation happen before or after installation?
    If after, then it is useless to protect the codecs.

Maybe it would be viable then to sell a codec-less version with a better licensing scheme and sell add-on codec-packs?

Cheers,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwolf
    Now, does the activation happen before or after installation?
    If after, then it is useless to protect the codecs.
    I'm not going to get into a discussion about how to "beat the system". I don't have any inside information but the following is my guess. From a legal POV, SE and the codecs are to be installed on one system and when you uninstall SE, the codecs are likely also un-installed. It is entirely possible that not only does SE have a 15 day(?) grace period but also the codecs themselves won't work after the grace period unless registration is completed.

Maybe it would be viable then to sell a codec-less version with a better licensing scheme and sell add-on codec-packs?
    Or just keep it simple and give SE owners an "add a seat" option at a good price! Too many options only complicate licensing issues and furthermore confuse the average buyer; IMO.

I'm not going to get into a discussion about how to "beat the system".
    That's not what it is. But it means that an installed but not activated copy of SE (if the codecs work) would then already violate the license agreements NT has with the third parties.
    This is a legal issue, not a question of cracking.

However, this might explain why NT can't offer a demo for download.
    Or just keep it simple and give SE owners an "add a seat" option at a good price! Too many options only complicate licensing issues and furthermore confuse the average buyer; IMO.
    If you work in this business, you better be smart enough to understand simple licensing issues <- joking
    Seriously though, I can imagine this to be a very viable alternative indeed, especially if SE works with other installed codecs anyhow. More choice has never been a bad thing really.

Then again, a 5 licenses for the price of 2 LW companion licenses wouldn't be o.k. as well

Cheers,
    Mike

I wanted to "officially" clear somethings up..

1. If you install SpeedEDIT, it is licensed only for that computer. If you need to move to another computer, call Customer Service and they can reset your license.

2. I've mentioned before that we are working on a solution for those that need to work on more than one computer. We are going to offer an "add-a-seat" SKU for registered owners of SpeedEDIT. Only one additional seat can be purchased per full license owned. We hope to post the full details of this offer by next week.
    Philip Nelson
    NewTek
    CRO - Chief Relationship Officer
    [email protected]
    http://www.newtek.com

Follow NewTek on Twitter!
    @PhilipNelson

Following on Facebook
    /Philip.Nelson

TC User Group
    Philip,

If you find out by Tuesday please let Barry know so he can mention this at the user group.

Thanks,

Ivan

Just to chime in: Here's another vote for the dongle.
    And another

I use both Lightwave and Mirage (both have dongles) and was looking forward to switching to SpeedEdit from Vegas, hoping SE would also use a dongle. I think the dongles give us the greatest flexiblity in moving between laptops and desktops.

Vegas just need to break even for Sony. OTOH, we need NewTek to make money on SE so they can continue to develop the product. This results in tighter control in licensing.
    I agree that we want NT to make money so that they can continue bringing us new goodies It's just that the licensing for SE is a deal-breaker for some of us as it stands.

I may be wrong, (and it wouldn't be the first time ), but I think Vegas prevents other applications from using some of their codecs.

Quote Originally Posted by pnelson
    We are going to offer an "add-a-seat" SKU for registered owners of SpeedEDIT.
    Thank you

= : >--[: ]===
    Quote Originally Posted by Safe Harbor
    I am always amazed when I hear this...
    The Adobe Video Collection can be installed on a SECOND PORTABLE machine as long as you do NOT use them at the SAME time (Read the EULA). Exactly the same for Microsoft Office Pro 2007 (just installed it 2 days ago). Even AMEA's 3dsMAX can be installed this way: you can even automatically authorize it twice without making a single phonecall. When you are on subscription you can even have all previous full point versions installed on different computers. It's not that I would use all these versions, but it has proven very convenient when you have to do some work again on projects that were done in these versions. I know usage rights are very strict on using software and even on the number of backup copies you are allowed to make but I think it would be asking too much just buying second copies to take my work home or on the road

Since you're a representative for a company selling lots of software I would really like to know if you are reading the EULA's differently. It could always be possible that I'm misinterpretting something !!!
    Your FIRST impression NEVER gets a SECOND chance !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Safe Harbor
    ...You didn't expect that Microsoft would just hand you an extra copy of Windows free of charge just because you needed to work in a second location, did you?
    We're talking about an operating system here that you are already "using" when you start up a computer. And then again: since I mostly buy Dell machines there are OEM versions installed that are a LOT cheaper then full versions you need when custom building machines. Even then again you can buy OEM versions if you know you will not change component soon !!

Quote Originally Posted by trick
    We're talking about an operating system here that you are already "using" when you start up a computer. And then again: since I mostly buy Dell machines there are OEM versions installed that are a LOT cheaper then full versions you need when custom building machines. Even then again you can buy OEM versions if you know you will not change component soon !!
    Even better, in the EU the EULA is void to a degree (since the end user is not entering a contract with MS, but with the shop that actually sold it to the end-user). This actually makes it quite hard to restrict the usage rights for end users to a certain degree (having said that, this is concerning selling special versions, not the actual use of the license itself).
    This is why it is perfectly legal to buy SB (System Builder) versions of the OS here without the purchase of hardware (whoopie do, no free MS support) - and you can chug the license along if you change the hardware as well (as long as the previous install is not used anymore).
    Also, some versions of Vista explicitly allow the install of a second license in a virtual machine as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by don_culbertson
    And another
    We do sound like some bickering ungrateful SOBs, don't we?

Cheers,
    Mike

Guys,

This issue doesn't have anything to do with EULA for other software. We are dealing with a licensing issue. We can't legally allow you to install on more than one system according some of our licensing agreements in SpeedEDIT.

I would LOVE to allow you to do that but it's just not possible. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, we hope to announce an option for you guys later this week..
    Philip Nelson
    NewTek
    CRO - Chief Relationship Officer
    [email protected]
    http://www.newtek.com

Follow NewTek on Twitter!
    @PhilipNelson

Following on Facebook
    /Philip.Nelson

If you have LW you can get another SE copy for around $280 or something.
    If its free then it wont cost anything, right?

We do sound like some bickering ungrateful SOBs, don't we?
    It's all NewTek's fault... they got me hooked on dongles

Quote Originally Posted by pnelson
    ...We can't legally allow you to install on more than one system according some of our licensing agreements in SpeedEDIT...
    Offering dongle protection even for a fee wouldn't hurt them then

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast