Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bugs fixed in boxed version versus download

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    Uh, well... I meant more in terms of the easy-to-use, real-time, full-quality, full-frame rate playback of animations...

As for advanced compositing features... Well, I've seen people do fancy compositing just in SpeedEDIT/VT-EDIT, but they're not true compositing programs, per se... There are definately a lot more features specific to that that would be required to call it that, and that's a bit beyond its raison d'etre.

Personally, I'm happy for new users to find what they need in it, but for those of us more on the video editing side, there's still some features that we could really use.

But again, as long as bugs get fixed first, I'll be a happy user of it for now.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

Las Vegas Toaster
    Danic101

Good rule of thumb is check to see how many times a person has posted many of us have been around here a long time and are HUGE supporters of Newtek.... it is safe to say if someone has posted over 250 times they are a supporter, and you should read their posts knowing that it is a post that is trying to help.
    Last edited by bbeanan; 01-25-2007 at 06:48 PM.
    Brett Beanan

Old Timer
    I found this CG bug has made SE impossible for me to use. In another thread (slow,slow,titler) I thought I had found a fix in my setup, but that was short lived. I'm glad I have VT46 with CG designer to do my editing and I hope VT5 isnt like my SE
    Regards, Lee
    Wanna Be

I do apologize for the profanity, However I still think Eugenes issues are related to his system which don't meet all the minimum specs that NewTek lists. Remember SpeedEDIT has links to report bugs when you install it, that is the proper place to send NewTek details on issues you are having. Perhaps you should contact NewTek Tech Support directly they have been extremely helpful to me. I have watched Eugene publicly bash SpeedEDIT on both the NewTek forums and the VTNT yahoo group and I feel that it is useless for him to do so nothing gets resolved, except for creating needless bad press. I agree that SpeedEDIT is not perfect for Everyone, so Eugene if it doesn't work well on you system then move onto another application if it works better plain and simple. Don't make waves purely for the pleasure of seeing your words in print on the web which is what I think you are doing.

Last year at NAB 2006 I was looking to make changes in my business, I saw a TriCaster Pro and SpeedEDIT demo on the mainstage and then walked around to the back of the NewTek booth to see the real story. What I saw back there would really change my view on our industry, I saw a guy in Leather pants and Spikey Neon Green Hair demoing a product that he had acutally used in real production and many others who were passionate about what they were showing not because they worked for the company but because they truly believed in what they were doing and how they were changing the world. That really made a significant impact on me I had sat through the FCP, Avid, Adobe, Lietch Velocity demos and none of them exhibited the passion NewTek did for Story telling. Thats what our business is about, whether is the love between a Groom and Bride or the tradgey of Hurricane Katrina and 9/11.

SpeedEDIT could use some more features such as VST, more animation stuff in CG but it is a solid performer that will makes waves in our industry and I appauld NewTek for doing so.

Actually, they aren't. They are things that Eugene found ... long ago. Eugene fed the bug report system like it was a ravenous dog. You really are speaking out of turn and inappropriately.

if you want to protect NewTek, give SE a good bashing (a thorough and tough workover with a project, from capture to DVD) and come back with your findings. While you are doing that, refer to Eugene's post to see if you can work around some of his findings.

Eugene's passion is about 15 years old. And his still being around speaks volumes to his passion. I also believe that had you known, you could have found Eugene at that booth, ready and willing to talk to you and anyone else in sharing his passion.

Eugene and the rest of the crew have been asking for these things for over 5 years. We all like your enthusiasm, particularly that you've mentioned VST plugs and better cg animation stuff. But taking potshots at Eugene is not really the best thing you can do to get your point across.

You remind me of myself a few years ago. This is a great thing. Someone also shared with me what I'm sharing with you: do a search on people and their posts to figure out who better to pick fights with. Eugene isn't one of them.

Eugene was one of many beta testers for SE and because of the many bugs he reported helped make SE what it is today and will be in future releases. I don't see his posts as bashing Newtek. Pointing out potential problems with SE that occur on his system, or requesting more features, helps not only Newtek but others as well that might be having the same problems or needs for features.

Comparing SE to Vegas is something that potential buyers will do before making a decision on which editor to buy, so pointing out Vegas or SE's good and bad points can only help Newtek grow SE in a positive way.
    Dynamic Video Productions
    Mount Laurel NJ

TC User Group
    I try to not post much because I am far more negative at this point than Eugene but I have to agree with the above. If SE works on your machine there is a good chance that Eugene had something to do with finding the bugs that would have made it useless to you. While Newtek was and is busy writing code, Eugene and others are busy not only breaking it but responsibly reporting back the steps that caused the failure making SE a much better product. If there is anything you like in SE, Eugene probably had a hand in making it better. No disrespect to the Newtek team because they worked their tail off to get this out the door.

If you don't believe this, please read the About SpeedEDIT credits. When you see Eugene's name go by, remember that he is not a Newtek employee, he worked to make SE a better product because he believed in it and in Newtek.

I personally would like to see Eugene write an article for DV magazine comparing real world, real work editing in the different editors he has used. As someone who has used a number of editors myself I find Eugene very even handed, when something works better in Vegas he says so, when it works better in SE he also says so. You may not like what he is saying but he has been completely honest I challenge you to find something that he has lied about or misrepresented.

While you are looking through the posts you will also find that if someone is having an issue Eugene is one of the people you can count on to jump in and try resolve it. Because of his knowledge and expertise some even put his name in the title just because they know he can help.

I hope this gives you some perspective on who Eugene is and where he is coming from.

Ivan

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    Being a curious sort, I'd love to know what in my system doesn't meet Newtek's minimum specs? I just looked at their site again and nope, my system is considerablly beyond the minimum system specs for DV. It falls behind the "suggested system specs for HDV" based on having an AGP bus, but as the fine print below that clearly states, not meeting the suggested specs just means that some complex functions might not happen in real-time.

So honestly, I don't see that any of my bugs fall into the category of being system related. And I'm really not the only user hitting these, I have heard from others both publically and privately that have seen the same ones.

I also assure you that my bugs were reported in the correct manner. But not hearing anything about what's been fixed, I would honestly like to know what has. So if I don't hear back, I'm gonna start asking around, there's no point in just waiting and hoping.

I can't officially comment on any beta programs, but I would like to say that users have no idea the work that many people that aren't employed by companies put into products. And those people wouldn't do that if they didn't want the product to succeed. So if there are problems, they definately want to see them fixed, for their own use, and for the benefit of others.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

>All he has seen Eugene post so far is his thoughts on the shortcoming of SE
    >and how he likes Vegas. It is understandable that it would appear that Eugene
    >is not on NewTek's side.
    On Soap Box.
    I cant believe what I am reading here. Shame on some of you.

You guys act like telling the truth is a BAD idea and that scares me. How far are you willing to bury the truth anyway? Eugene is still here trying to make a go of it when many have left. This is something you guys are unhappy about?
    Are you interested in him moving on?
    Is that the goal put up or shut up?
    Gordon where did the word Vegas appear in his first post?

The DVE bug has been confirmed. Cant he ask if it is fixed?

The CG bugs might be because of his AGP graphics card or what he is doing but isnt SE supposed to work with many machines. Even those with AGP?

We used to band together and help fix and find truth about bugs. Thats what communitys do. They help each other in good and bad.

If it was a bug we would say BUG it and ask for a FIX cause that is not right we shouldnt have bugs.
    If it wasnt a bug we used to try to confirm or deny it by asking exactly what someone was doing.

I cant believe the lump it response from some of you to a guy spent tons of time helping everyone and who has been kind and nice enough to share all of his knowledge.

Geez...
    Off Soap Box
    Last edited by Bobt; 01-26-2007 at 05:05 AM.
    bobt_at_bobfx_com
    www.bobfx.com
    Bob Tasa

Old Timer
    I have learned that when Eugene speaks, I listen. I don't always understand, but I appreciate his input.
    Regards, Lee
    Wanna Be

Danic101
    Most folks here are a community that has been together a long time. We air our dirty laundry in a belief it can only drive the people who make the product better and stronger. We dont do this to
    weaken the product. Newtek releases patches adhock to adress these things.

FYI, we also talk about the many good things as well as you will note in Eugenes post about superior work flow.

Just so you know we tend to post bugs to look for comfirmation as well because computers and their configurations are extremely complex.

Basically hang in and answer best you can its a good place and as you can tell by some that have come to Eugenes defense you gain respect by what you give and Eugene is at the top of that hill with many others.
    bobt_at_bobfx_com
    www.bobfx.com
    Bob Tasa

back to the point. I think i have a system very much the same as Eugein and iv noticed that when i reload a project it starts background rendering from the start. and it has to render out dves also I dont think its giving me any realtime and im just useing sd clips, maybe theres a setting somewhere at this point i dont know. I know My VT4.6 is working well on the same machine. so ill wait and see.
    PS. does anyone know if the memory speed on the new macs is a real problem? i thought everything els looked good. your thoughts?
    If its free then it wont cost anything, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Chesbro
    ...noticed that when i reload a project it starts background rendering from the start. and it has to render out dves also I dont think its giving me any realtime and im just useing sd clips
    As a VT user, you're doubtless familiar with its various background render options and settings. These have been simplified quite a bit in SE, and split into two sections - one appropriate for SD projects, and another for HD (smart.)

I don't really understand your remark about realtime. If the Prefs are set to deliver it, you can play video 'realtime' without bg rendering up to the limits of your hdwe., at which point it will begin to stutter. If the system is unable to play a given project without stuttering, appropriate bg render settings will ensure it can play 'in realtime.' Most barely decent systems can play a few layers of SD DV, however. The term 'realtime' obviously isn't meant to suggest you can throw 20 layers of HD at it with BG rendering off and get realtime play.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Randy,
    Yes back to the point..
    >and it has to render out dves also I dont think its giving me any realtime
    >and im just useing sd clips, maybe theres a setting somewhere at this point
    >i dont know.

Thats the way it works. It doesnt save BG rendered clips. I am not quite sure why this is but thats the way it was built.
    If you set up your render preferences to render with X layers of SD only then it should only BG render those items. Basically you should get about the same if not better performance as before. That much I have seen myself.

I sure wish they would change that BG rendering thing.
    I have several suggestions.
    1) Change the Project file format to XML.
    2) Include Save the BG rendered clips using GUID as the clip name in a cache folder for the project.
    3) Do Clean up (delete cached items) of the cache when the project opens and closes.

Thats about it for BG rendering.
    Its Friday I am all fired up and wished I worked at Newtek so I could make a dent in these items that people want.

Bob
    bobt_at_bobfx_com
    www.bobfx.com
    Bob Tasa

Steve,
    I dont think Dual Xeons should be considered barely decent for SD/DV projects. As Eugene pointed out there is a listing and his machine falls in the right place for SD. Do you think there needs to be some adjustments to the hardware requirements for SE?
    bobt_at_bobfx_com
    www.bobfx.com
    Bob Tasa

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast