Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: SpeedEdit Vs. Vegas?

Newbie Member

Lightbulb OT: SpeedEdit Vs. Vegas?

I haven't used the new SpeedEdit (duh), but from what I've read, it sounds like the things they're saying are things that Sony Vegas has been doing for a while. I liked the old Speed Edit Software, but I've been using Vegas for a while here, and I don't know that it sounds like Speed Edit is all that much different.

I'm really not wanting to start a flamer thread, but I am just curious what you other blokes think.

Dave

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    Well... SpeedEDIT 1.0 and Vegas 7 are really nothing alike...

When you say you've used the "old SpeedEDIT software", I assume you mean VT-EDIT? You know how different that is from Vegas 7, and that's what SpeedEDIT looks like.

If anything, I would say Vegas 7 is probably THE best complimentary software to SpeedEDIT 1.0 to have.

Vegas 7 can fill in feature holes for SpeedEDIT 1.0 and SpeedEDIT 1.0 can speed up bread and butter work that would be slower in Vegas 7.

Unfortunately there's not a perfect way to move projects between them, but that's life.

I think one can definately think of SpeedEDIT 1.0 in terms of bread and butter editing and Vegas 7 in terms of craft editing.

The "performance" of the two is certainly totally different. Because SpeedEDIT 1.0 requires real-time full-quality playback all the time, it's not as forgiving of slower hardware as Vegas 7 is. Vegas 7 can gracefully degrade by dropping frames of video and not audio, so you can get by with a slower machine and still get a decent real-time editing experience.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

One other huge feature SpeedEDIT has over vegas is its Super High Quality Scaling. Nothing I have seen can scale video better then SpeedEDIT. Also I like the CG in SpeedEDIT much better then Vegas, SpeedEDITs CG isn't perfect workflow wise but the quality is superb. The Realtime HDV feature is completely unmatched.
    Last edited by Danic101; 01-07-2007 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Day-Vids
    I liked the old Speed Edit Software...
    I wonder if he is referring to Speed Razor and since it had been so long, he forgot the name.
    Between the eyes and ears there lie the sounds of color and the light of a sigh.

dynamics...so much fun ;) prospector's Avatar
    If it is Speed Razor..then that's like comparing the Toaster/Flyer to VT4
    Skype...lost_in_3d_space

Sager
    I7-4800 OC'd to 3.3 GHz
    12G 1600mhz mem
    GTX 765M , 765 cores 1.5 Gig mem
    256 gigs raided SSD drive

Agreed, SpeedEDIT's scaling is at least After Effects quality level at high quality and ISS.

And the CG in Vegas 7 totally sucks. If I was Sony, I'd make that the highest priority upgrade for the next Vegas version. Though I don't like that one can't save CG pages directly in the "integrated" CG in SpeedEDIT. The quality of SpeedEDIT's CG scrolls is sooo much better than VT[4]'s.

As for the real-time HDV playback, Newtek has the most efficient playback I've seen. My tests show it more efficient than Vegas 7's MPEG-2 playback. That said, in order to perform well, SpeedEDIT needs higher-end hardware. On a system like my ol' dual-Xeon 2.8GHz with 1GB of RAMBUS and 4X AGP, I gotta honestly say I prefer Vegas 7's HDV performance to SpeedEDIT's on this hardware. I have no doubt that on newer, more powerful hardware, SpeedEDIT's full quality/full frame rate would be better, but that's not what I currently have.

So like I said, I see SpeedEDIT 1.0 and Vegas 7 filling in each other's missing pieces.

There's nothing wrong with having both.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

Newbie Member
    Correct I forgot the name, i was comparing Speed Razor to Vegas. I am inclined to appreciate the full frame rate preview action. I do have to say though that Vegas 7 handles m2t files quite well on my dual core, I may simply run both though, I will be interested to see the new SpeedEDIT and work with it some.

As for Vegas CG.... ummmmm.... I just leave that tab alone for anything that is Terribly Important. Unfortunately it's just not worth using sometimes.

Appreciate the feedback. Thx, and keep em coming.

Dave

Mirage 2D animator
    This is a thread I am very interested in as well... I have a feeling that the choice between the two will be in the end determined by our individual work flows; live footage editors having their demanding requirements which animators might never even comprehend and vice versa.

Another factor will be the liveliness of the two development teams. SE appears, at the moment, to hold many promises, indicating a passion for rapid growth and improvements, whereas Vegas seems to be reaching it's point of lost enthusiasm for pleasant surprises.

But as I await the early January delivery of SE I would love to hear some more comparisons between the two systems as well.
    -Paul

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpioProd
    And the CG in Vegas 7 totally sucks. If I was Sony, I'd make that the highest priority upgrade for the next Vegas version. Though I don't like that one can't save CG pages directly in the "integrated" CG in SpeedEDIT. The quality of SpeedEDIT's CG scrolls is sooo much better than VT[4]'s.

There's nothing wrong with having both.
    You are right Eugene about Vegas and their CG and that is why I use the Boris Red plug in for that. If I want a superior compositing and video piece, I use the Vegas/Red combo and drop it onto my VT/SpeedEDIT timeline.

Newbie Member
    Vegas doesn't have a Storyboard. No other professional NLE but SE has a synced Storyboard. Mark.

Paul! Great to see you on the SE forums! I think animators will really apreciate the Storyboard feature in SE. Being as most animators work heavily with storyboards throughout production, the SB in SE is a natural extension of that.

I look forward to seeing new animation from you, hopefully edited in SE! Mirage and SE make a great combination!

Quote Originally Posted by paulfierlinger
    This is a thread I am very interested in as well... I have a feeling that the choice between the two will be in the end determined by our individual work flows; live footage editors having their demanding requirements which animators might never even comprehend and vice versa.

Another factor will be the liveliness of the two development teams. SE appears, at the moment, to hold many promises, indicating a passion for rapid growth and improvements, whereas Vegas seems to be reaching it's point of lost enthusiasm for pleasant surprises.

But as I await the early January delivery of SE I would love to hear some more comparisons between the two systems as well.

Mirage 2D animator
    Quote Originally Posted by toasterdude
    I think animators will really apreciate the Storyboard feature in SE.
    I am curious to see how it works but I have a feeling that it might be the opposite; that this feature has little advantage to us only because most animators already start with a storyboard (not me, but that's another issue). Animators typically have the lineup of individual scenes already fixed in their mind and start working on their film from scene one, continue onto scene two and so on, all the way to the last scene -- all scenes made and entered into an NLE timeline in a very predictable order and with precious little redundancy of superfluous scenes.

If I'm not mistaken, I see the advantage of the SE storyboard for people who aren't sure which scene goes first and have to do a lot of reshuffling to find the best order -- wedding videographers come to my mind.

I'd be interested in hearing from an animator who has already worked with an NLE storyboard if there even are any yet...
    -Paul

Not an animator myself, started as a wedding videographer, though phasing that out while doing more corporate and other event stuff...

Anyway, though you are correct that a storyboard for non-linear arrangement of scenes like in a wedding recap is great, and what most people think the main use of a storyboard is, that is honestly not my main use for the storyboard, it really has a lot of other power beyond that.

I use it for placement of DVEs, since it is easier and quicker to put them in there than in the timeline. I also find that when I have clips on the time line, I adjust the in/out points in the timeline first, BEFORE I've put transitions in... BUT, once I have transitions in, it is MUCH easier to adjust the length with an ALT-mouse on the storyboard croutons than to do it in the timeline directly.

Just my personal workflow, of course... Everyone is unique.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

Mirage 2D animator
    Just my personal workflow, of course... Everyone is unique.
    I'm not uniqe. I'm like most people; I don't have SpeedEdit.
    -Paul

Amused
    I use storyboard to place the audio in sequence first, then switch to timeline to place the animation video. In past versions of the show the audio had hard cuts from one piece of dialogue to the next that drove the video cuts. I'll be adding a laugh track this next go 'round, so there will be places where there are soft transitions from one piece of dialogue to the next. I'm curious to see if I can just listen to the audio to get the rhythm of the video cuts in my head first. Maybe close my eyes, listen, and then use the marker tool to place the locations of the video cuts.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast