Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT: SpeedEdit Vs. Vegas?

EditStudio by PureMotion also had, note _had_ a combined SB/TL interface. However, as it was a budget product, the userbase went hammer and tong on to the developers to remove it. The chief developer used it himself, but seemingly nobody else did. Though he may have been the videographer and his customers were probably newbie amateurs.

It is a mad world. So they removed the SB mode a couple of years ago, with no intention to put it back. What they did do was make the timeline more SB-like from the ripple and picon perspective. So zooming out far enough can equate to much the same thing. NewTek are right though. Any creative aid, especially one with an industry recognised workflow such as storyboarding, is an advantage.

We'll keep it secret and stay one productivity mile ahead of the competitor videographers.....

storyboard

I have been using the storyboard interface for a number of years for different types of projects.

i do broadcast 1/2 shows which i edit and then add the commercials, opening/closing and tags this is great when you are doing a project for different markets that have different commercial or other content that must be changed.

i just drag them into place and thats it, now imagine doing this by the regular method?

when i do events i can reorder scenes in a snap there is nothing better

i will never go back to traditional timeline

ric marty
    Last edited by rycar_m; 01-18-2007 at 04:34 AM.
    Beam me up Scotty

Mirage 2D animator
    Quote Originally Posted by rbartlett

We'll keep it secret and stay one productivity mile ahead of the competitor videographers.....
    markss9876: I am hoping that this workflow will catch on in the professional world.
    This is becoming so interesting to me now because I teach at Penn a class called, In Pursuit of Originality and always explain to the students that original ideas or even original products often don't catch on because people's minds are programmed by their natural instincts to place themselves within the restraints of their social groups. When one understands that, then it becomes evident that to develop a new idea or at least a fresh idea, one has to first step outside of the group's box. Only a special kind of person does that and from that stems the myth of the mad scientist.
    -Paul

Newbie Member
    Newtek should add that to the SE Manual.

Mark

VEGAS 7.0d is Decklink & firewire compatible

SEdit... i dont know

>SEdit... i dont know
    is firewire compatible

No other hardware uses it. I do not think Newtek has approched any vendors for support or offered them carte blanche.
    bobt_at_bobfx_com
    www.bobfx.com
    Bob Tasa

well I saw The TriCaster HD demo they did at NAB last year, and if they bring that card out I think they will kill Decklink

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    That TriCaster HD demo was promising, but since Newtek still has VT[5] in the pipeline next, who knows how long before that demo becomes a real product...

But back to topic... I see potential for SpeedEDIT, but at this point, for myself, I've added the Vegas 7 suite to my tool kit. I can definately see the Vegas 7 suite filling in some holes for me with SpeedEDIT. And getting me away from some bugs in SpeedEDIT.

I'll definately compare more once I learn Vegas 7 properly.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpioProd
    That TriCaster HD demo was promising, but since Newtek still has VT[5] in the pipeline next, who knows how long before that demo becomes a real product...
    Since they are developed by different teams, I wouldn't expect VT[5] to do much that would hold up TriCaster HD.
    Toasting with NewTek since 1991 - Corinthian Media Services
    Riding Quiet on an Electric Ninja.

So you don't think a TriCaster HD would instantly kill sales for VT[5]?

Seems to me like a perfect example of likely Osborneing...
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpioProd
    So you don't think a TriCaster HD would instantly kill sales for VT[5]?
    Seems to me like a perfect example of likely Osborneing...
    Maybe slow down VT[5] sales but most churches realize that 3 inputs is not enough for a live production. Furthermore, many churches that are moving to HD also have the budget for more than 3 cameras. If they are SD then VT[5] is still good for a couple years especially with the VGA output to projector. Also keep in mind that the TriCaster HD is going to likely be a lot more money than the TriCaster Pro.

OTOH, NewTek will need to release VT[HD] soon. Large HD Plasma TVs are now down to a price where just about everyone can afford one. With 50" 1366 x 720p going for less than $1500, and 42" even less, I think we will hit a saturation point of 30% this year, 60% next year and 90% in two years. Even with a saturation of 60% there will really be a demand (over 75%) for HD content from event videographers in the next 12 - 18 months because those that can afford a videographer for their event will also be able to afford an HD TV.

Good points...

But it does make me wonder if VT[5] is really worth Newtek's limited resources to work on... I mean, it's not that different from VT[4] plus SpeedEDIT 1.0...

Wouldn't they be better off skipping VT[5] and getting to work on the TriCaster HD and future VT HD? TriCaster stuff does seem to be their current strength...
    Last edited by ScorpioProd; 01-22-2007 at 04:20 PM.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

I disagree Eugene they need to have VT5 so we have SpeedEDIT inside of VT. Also Remember NewTek may have more features planned for VT5 then they have talked about. Also don't forget they are adding LightWave 9 to the suite.

Plus so far, it is the VT[5] upgrades that have paid for SpeedEDIT development. There would be a lot of unhappy VT owners if VT[5] didn't come out soon.

I suspect that the situation will change in about 2 months as sales of SpeedEDIT far outstrip VT[5] upgrades. Furthermore, if NewTek makes more money on SpeedEDIT than VT[x] sales like they have with the TriCaster vs VT[x] then you have to wonder if there will be a VT[6]. (Of course I hope so but all businesses need to make money and resources are limited.)

By VT[6], I meant VTHD, (or whatever it will be called).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast