Thread: Center pivot on selection in Modeler?

Center pivot on selection in Modeler?

Ignore!
    Last edited by Cageman; 01-02-2007 at 02:50 PM.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Just in case someone comes to this thread via search button:
    The answer is "pivot commander", look on flay for that gem.
    Or look here
    http://www.mohhs.com/lw/plugins/PivotCommander.zip

Mike
    If you are not paying for it, you’re not the customer; you’re the product being sold.

Actually Center Pivot - which I am sure he found - does this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CenterPivot.gif 
Views:	139 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	40373  
    Last edited by Surrealist.; 01-03-2007 at 02:06 PM.

Newbie Member
    Maybe I'm missing something simple, but why wouldn't you just set Modes at the bottom of the screen to "Action Center: Selection +F8"?
    [I]"This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."[/I] - Sir Winston Churchill

I believe they are referring to - after moving the pivot point and then perhaps trying to recenter it on the object.

Well, I can't say what he wanted to do in the first place, but the pivot button activates the pivot so you can position it in modeler. Then if you hit the Center Pivot button, it will center the pivot to the selection. If nothing is selected it will pivot to the geometry of the mesh in that layer.

The reason for this as to do with animation in Layout not with object editing which is what the tool modes center of action is for.

Oftten when creating an object with multiple moving parts -as an example - you usually are modeling and designing, thus moving the mesh in that layer into position based on a background geometry shape and position. Say the amrs or a robot fitted to the torso. Since the position as well as shape of the object effects the design, it is best to position these objects in modeler. Since modeler's default pivot is at 0 0 0, you then have to move it so you can animate that part properly from the proper orientation. Otherwise it will rotate from the center of the universe. Not what you want. You want it to rotate from the center of the armpit or wheel well etc.

So, espeically for michanical things, "Center Pivot" gives you the exact center of the mesh or selection.

No other plugin needed for this simple operation.

"The reason for this has to do with animation in Layout not with object editing which is what the tool modes center of action is for."

You are contradicting yourself in that sentence if you also considering what you imply. You mention action center modes is for modeling; there is an action center mode using the pivot; thus the pivot is for modeling aswell! So a center pivot command is usefull for rigging aswell as modeling.

Now if only the pivot could be rotated in Modeler...

Quote Originally Posted by evenflcw
    there is an action center mode using the pivot; thus the pivot is for modeling aswell! So a center pivot command is usefull for rigging aswell as modeling.
    Yep. You're right. I totally forgot about that. So many things to remember. Going to have to start using that now...

Thanks for pointing it out.
    Last edited by Surrealist.; 01-04-2007 at 10:16 AM.

Funny!

I never thought this thread would have replies in it because my first post was: Ignore.

Oh well... I found the center pivot tool if anyone cares. The funny thing was that I posted the question, went back to LW and I just found the tool... like magic!

Good discussion though!
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cageman
    Funny!

I never thought this thread would have replies in it because my first post was: Ignore.
    What, you think people here have lives or something?
    [I]"This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."[/I] - Sir Winston Churchill