Thread: EPSF Loader - format error

EPSF Loader - format error

I am saving a file from Photoshop as a .eps file to load into modeler using the EPSF import tool. I am getting an error message stating it is an unknown file format.

I am using the default settings in PS to save and have tried a few other options but no luck. Honestly I don't have a clue. Any help with PS settings or any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen.gif 
Views:	104 
Size:	8.3 KB 
ID:	40323  

I thought the EPSF loader was really to do with reading outline information, rather than bitmap - i.e. stuff that Illustrator would do, rather than Photoshop (although I believe PS can export selection outlines as .AI/.EPS file)

I could be wrong though.

Tribbles is correct. The EPSF loader for LW is strictly for *real* EPS files like the ones created by Illustrator. I use this tool a ton for doing logo stuff. And 99% of the time you need to edit the EPS file in Illustrator and break things into separate files to manage them good in LW.

What are you trying to do specifically?

-mark

Quote Originally Posted by avkills
    Tribbles is correct. The EPSF loader for LW is strictly for *real* EPS files like the ones created by Illustrator. I use this tool a ton for doing logo stuff. And 99% of the time you need to edit the EPS file in Illustrator and break things into separate files to manage them good in LW.

What are you trying to do specifically?

-mark
    OK that explains it then. Photoshop must not export a "real" EPS file - whatever that is.

The manual states this:

The EPSF_Loader command (File > Import > EPSF Loader) converts Illustrator (.ai) and encapsulated PostScript (.eps) files into two-dimensional LightWave objects, by converting bezier curves into tessellated polygons.
    So I was led to believe that if photoshop exports the EPS file that would work.

What I was trying to do - as an experiment - was to get it to work to create text in PS and export it to LW so I can create a text object. For no particular reason other than to get it to work.

After looking at your responses I got the idea to Export paths to .ai from photoshop. What I did was selected Layer/Type/Create Path. Then I chose File/Export paths to Illuistrator. That creates a .ai file. That works. But for purely creating text it is somehat unecessary as I can do that in Modeler.

Unfortunately what I really wanted to be able to do was to convert 2D shapes or black and white images to an eps file and import that as an object. Something I have wanted to do for a while.

What would be the alternative method to do this? I know there used to be a program that would convert bitmaps to 2D objects (on the Amiga). I am sure that there are programs that do that now. But it was my assumption that this import EPS function would inable you to use PS to do it.
    Last edited by Surrealist.; 01-01-2007 at 05:06 PM.

Ahh - Photoshop is probably exporting it as a bitmap encapsulated within an EPS file, rather than the outlines - doing the "export paths" option would create a set of bezier curves.

In order to convert a bitmap, you'll probably have to use the magic wand and select the various colours individually.

I use Xara Xtreme (http://www.xara.com) a lot, and that has the capability of tracing outlines around bitmaps and creating vector graphics from that.

OK, great. Thanks for the tips. Coverting a selection to a path in PS is the ticket. That works.

Much appreciated!