Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SpeedEDIT Update from NewTek

*****istrator

SpeedEDIT Update from NewTek

Dear SpeedEDIT customer,

Earlier this year, we held an upgrade promotion for VT[4] and VT[5]. This promotion included a free standalone copy of SpeedEDIT, as well as some special content disks. At the time, we expected to ship SpeedEDIT by the end of summer and the VT[5] upgrade shortly thereafter. Unfortunately, as you are now aware, the shipping schedule slipped and both products were delayed. The main reason for the delay was our decision to extend the feature set of SpeedEDIT, as recommended by our beta testers and other key advisors. We think they were right, and we also believe you will appreciate these additions to SpeedEDIT. Nevertheless, these choices did have an impact on our delivery schedule for both SpeedEDIT and VT[5].

We're now very close to shipping the standalone version of SpeedEDIT. In fact, we expect to have all testing completed by early next week. We are still working on completing the final packaging, docs and other shipping deliverables, but we expect to be able to deliver the final package to you in early January*. For those of you who are eligible for a free copy of SpeedEDIT, we will make SpeedEDIT 1.0 available for download. This option will be available only to those who purchased VT[4] between April 1, 2006 and June 30, 2006 or pre-purchased the VT[5] software upgrade. In order to keep the download size manageable (less than 150 megabytes) it will not include all the DVE's; just a small subset to get you started. This download will be available late next week, and we'll send another notice to eligible customers with the specific download details.**

We expect to deliver VT[5] sometime in Q1. We know the VT[5] schedule slip is a disappointment for many of you, and you have our sincerest apology for the delay. We would also like to make a more tangible gesture of our appreciation for your patience by offering you a special surprise gift. We've contracted Emmy®-award winning motion graphic artist, Tim Johnson, to design a special set of professional motion graphic templates for use in SpeedEDIT. They are very cool, and really show off the power and capability of SpeedEDIT's built-in character generator. We'll be including this set of templates with your copy of SpeedEDIT as our way of saying "sorry" for the delay and "thank you" for your patience and understanding. You'll also be able to download these motion graphic templates at the same time that you download SpeedEDIT.

We'll be back in touch in January to give you more specific details on the VT[5] shipping schedule.

Sincerely,

Jim Plant
    President & CEO
    NewTek, Inc.

*This estimate for shipping the final package is for North America only. Our international distributors set their own schedules for shipping. Please contact your local reseller for more information.

** We've sent an e-mail directly to all customers who are eligible for the free copy of SpeedEDIT. If you believe you are eligible and you have not received an e-mail message from us by next Monday morning, please contact us by e-mail at [email protected] and include your VT[4] serial number in the message.
    Last edited by Jim Plant; 12-15-2006 at 02:58 PM.

Newbie Member
    Thanks for the update Jim.

Have a Happy Holiday season.

Just Tryin' To Help...
    What Dennis Said. As many others have said, I'd rather have SpeedEDIT and VT[5] "right" rather than "now, but buggy".
    SB Enterprises, Quincy, Illinois ~ in the backwoods of the US of A

Thanks very much for the info Jim. And for all of you on the VT team have a great Christmas and Happy (profitable) New Year with the release of your new product.
    Either Lead, Follow............. or get out of the Way!

As you wait for the SpeedEDIT release, check out the first review of SpeedEDIT by Timothy Albee at

http://www.cgfocus.com/article/story/356&page=1
    Philip Nelson
    NewTek
    CRO - Chief Relationship Officer
    [email protected]
    http://www.newtek.com

Follow NewTek on Twitter!
    @PhilipNelson

Following on Facebook
    /Philip.Nelson

Newbie Member
    Are the liscening issues for the Demo worked out. I would love to spend 30 days playing with the software over my winter break.
    Chris

I should update my Avatar Verlon's Avatar
    Is there anything on the price for existing Lightwave owners? The only toaster I have is for use with bread, not video, but I am interested in SE.
    Verlon Smith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4i3XnbEKBw&feature=plcp - shameless prommotion for my daughter's horror (by 4 year old standards) story.

Quote Originally Posted by Verlon
    Is there anything on the price for existing Lightwave owners? The only toaster I have is for use with bread, not video, but I am interested in SE.
    I don't usually go for this stance on things but to be honest it's a ****ing Good Deal at the price it's at!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a Toaster user and apart from a couple of things your getting the complete current tool set of the VT of course without the live switching. Don't get me wrong I don't know whats on it's was for the VT 5.0 release but to get that complete tools set when you consider the VT is between 2.4K and just under 5 K depending on what hardware you want with it you cannot really go wrong.

Put it like this all that time you currently spend waiting for Prem Pro or FCP rendering so you can edit your clips in an near real time as they can on your system will be gone! All the rendering that section to see how that transition will look and to check is timing is gone!

If this product is the same speed as the current VT Edit (and I'm not on the Beta Testing team so this is only speculation) but I'm sure it is if not more so then this will pay for itself in the first couple of months alone in the time it will give you back from the edit alone.

I should update my Avatar Verlon's Avatar
    We were told LW owners would get a discounted price.

That's all I am asking about. Since toaster owners are getting it FREE, they don't have a lot of room to talk :P

Seriously, just seeing how much it will cost me. I will certainly take every discount available to me.
    Verlon Smith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4i3XnbEKBw&feature=plcp - shameless prommotion for my daughter's horror (by 4 year old standards) story.

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    Just to clarify, "toaster owners" do NOT get SpeedEDIT for free.

It is only people who purchased VT[4] or the VT[5] pre-order upgrade during a specific time period this year, as Jim noted.

That's all.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

Hey I'm with you no harm in trying Verlon

But Think of all those goodies we have had over the last couple of years for upgrading Lightwave, DFX+, UV Edit Pro and Vue 5 of course For me DFX+ was the deal of the Century!!!!!!

And it was not really free as already said you had to pay for the VT 5 upgrade between two certain dates.
    Last edited by badllarma; 12-17-2006 at 09:14 AM.

Nothing in life is free
    Kevin Washington

Quote Originally Posted by badllarma
    I don't usually go for this stance on things but to be honest it's a ****ing Good Deal at the price it's at!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a Toaster user and apart from a couple of things your getting the complete current tool set of the VT of course without the live switching.
    As a clarification I think you should realize - SpeedEDIT is just the VTEdit portion ofthe full VT system -unbundled.

There is no Aura, no Lightwave, no CG Designer (only CG Post), no Switcher, no batch capture (yet) - Just the Edit module. But it is fast and it works well.

aloha,

Keith
    Keith Nealy Productions
    Big Island, Hawaii

From what I understand you do get a cg designer with Speed Edit.
    Dispite popular belief, Digital does not mean quality.

Mirage 2D animator
    Quote Originally Posted by steveg
    From what I understand you do get a cg designer with Speed Edit.
    Does he have to be fed every day?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast